LaDainian Tomlinson Sig Tutorial - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Contests and Showing Off

LaDainian Tomlinson Sig Tutorial

Moderators: deluxe_247, Football Moderators

LaDainian Tomlinson Sig Tutorial

Postby chargersfan36 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:39 am

You can't really make the sig by following the tutorial step for step. For instance, I don't always tell you to add a new layer. If we are doing something different than before, it's a good idea to add a new layer.

I'm gonna teach you how to make this sig:

1. First I found a stock picture (used this one). This is the bottom layer of your sig. Choose Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic. I think mine was around 90.

2. Now we are going to begin adding a background picture of LT. First, add a layer of color to the area where the background picture will go. I put my picture where I wanted it (pic. I'll teach you how to do the effect in a second). Then ctrl + click the icon next to the text on the picture's layer to select it (pic). Choose Select > Feather > 5-10 pixels. On a layer below your background picture, use the fill tool (G) to fill in the selection with a color that goes with the sig. This is what I have so far:

3. Next, bring in your background picture (pic). Desaturate it with ctrl + shift + u and lower it's fill to around 15%. Do ctrl + L with the layer selected to adjust the levels. Here are the settings similar to what I used: (pic). This is what I have so far:

4. Next I added two shapes that I made with the pen tool. Select the pen tool (P) and make sure you have these settings at the top (pic). You can make a new layer for your shape or when you start making a shape, a new layer will be made for you. When you finish making one shape, right click the layer and choose: Rasterize Layer. Then make your second shape (on a new layer) and rasterize that one. After I made my shapes (pic), I lowered the fills to 22% and added a layer mask to each layer. To add a layer mask, select the layer and click the icon at the bottom of the layers pallette that is a rectangle with a circle inside of it. Then take out your brush tool. Choose a soft black brush around 80% opacity. With your layer mask selected (only do one at a time), brush in the areas where you want the shape to be more faded. Here is what I have after doing this to both shapes:

5. Next add some stocks to give your background depth. I added two stocks for my background. The first one (pic), I set on linear dodge dodge, and masked away (added a layer mask and brushed in black) most of the middle areas (pic). The next stock I used on two layers (the stock). The first layer of the stock I put on color dodge at 52% fill. I also masked most of the edges away (pic). I duplicated that layer and used a different area of the pic for another section of the background. This layer is also on color dodge and 52% fill with sections masked (pic).

6. (Optional) I added a white diagonal line pattern at 7% fill. I'm not going to explain how to do this since it's not very important and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do it.

7. Next, I added a photo filter to get my color with these settings (pic). To do this, click the half white half black circle at the bottom of the layers pallette and choose: Photo Filter.

8. Now we finally add our pic. Resize it (ctrl + t), position it, etc. Here's what I have:

Time to make it look cool. I changed the blending mode on my pic to Luminosity (blending mode is near the top of the layers pallette). Then do ctrl + L with the pic layer selected to adjust the pics levels. Here are the settings similar to what I used: (pic). This is what I have now:

9. Next (on a new layer) darken the sides a little by using a black brush around 150px and 80ish% opacity (pic).

Then with a white brush with about the same settings (new layer) I brushed around his chest (pic).

10. Now to brighten up some areas, add a C4D (pic). Desaturate it with ctrl + shift + u, invert it with ctrl + i, blur it with Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur > 4-8 px. Then set it on color dodge and mask away some areas. Here is what I have now:

11. Next I added some slightly visible lines. To do this, make a new layer on top, choose Image > Apply Image. Then choose Filter > Pixelate > Mosaic. I used something around 100. Put it on soft light and lower the fill. If the lines are too strong, you can mask them down with a soft black brush around 50% opacity. This is what I have now:

12. For my text, I duplicated the mosaic layer that I just made and moved it under the area where I was going to add my text (pic).

13. After that, add your text. Mine was just a simple "102" for the number of touchdown's LT has scored in his career but you can use a name or whatever you want. I used white Times New Roman with a layer mask. Then I used a black to transparent gradient on the layer mask to make the text fade down (pic).

14. Then add the border. New layer, ctrl + a to select all, choose Edit > Stroke > 3 px white inside. New layer, Edit > Stroke > 1 px black inside. Ctrl + d to deselect and you're done!

Post your results if you want to. I kind of slacked off near the end with my detail so it may be harder if you are a total noob.
chargersfan36 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby madaslives911 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:26 am

nice sig, nice tutorial... thanks for sharing chargersfan. :-)
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smoovethug » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Thanks for the nice tut, I like the result and will try it next time I sit down and put something together. Quick question though and I've always wondered this...where does everyone get those C4D's from? I've never used any.
smoovethug
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby Idahofan1 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:44 pm

I think you need another program to make them, though there are a lot online that you could take.
Idahofan1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby chargersfan36 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:20 pm

smoovethug wrote:Thanks for the nice tut, I like the result and will try it next time I sit down and put something together. Quick question though and I've always wondered this...where does everyone get those C4D's from? I've never used any.

I think I got mine in a pack from someone on another forum. Here are mine: link.

Also, this was just posted at a forum.
chargersfan36 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Child_of_God_08 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:13 pm

I see a sticky coming on this soon. ;-D
FFC Battle Record: 0-1
Child_of_God_08
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:33 pm

awesome, i'll give it a try.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby smoovethug » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:22 am

I said I'd try it so here's my result, I like it.

My Sigs!
Lions WR Roy Williams wrote:I've never seen anything like it. I wasn't a believer in him at first. I'm a Brian Westbrook fan now.
smoovethug
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:33 pm

Very well done, I'm going to follow this soon and see what I can come up with.

chargersfan36 wrote:
smoovethug wrote:Thanks for the nice tut, I like the result and will try it next time I sit down and put something together. Quick question though and I've always wondered this...where does everyone get those C4D's from? I've never used any.

I think I got mine in a pack from someone on another forum. Here are mine: link.

Also, this was just posted at a forum.

I was actually wondering this as well, but now that I click on those links, it says that they need to be uploaded again. If you could do that, that would be great. ;-D
sportsguy138
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby chargersfan36 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:52 pm

chargersfan36 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Contests and Showing Off