Vikes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:03 pm

I hope they're for real. I just traded for Culpepper in two of my leagues.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Die hard Vikes fan

Postby blueonion » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:13 pm

I am still on the fence. I do think the Vikings are a good team but I am not sure they are 5-0 good yet. They are doing a few things well that I think will enable them to continue to win games.

1) Protecting the ball. The Vikings are not turning the ball over and most teams are being forced to drive the length of the field to score.

2) Running the ball. This is imperative to winning championships. If Minnesota continues to ask their big Sumo-esque linemen to just stand up and push people out of the way and their linemen continue to be successful at this, they could keep winning games.

3) Counter-punch. The Vikings have established themselves as a good run-oriented team. As defenses begin to defende against the run, Randy Moss presents himself as a great counter-punch for 8 men in the box.

The jury is still out for me when deciding if the Vikings are 'for-real'. I believe at best right now, they are a good football team.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PURPLE PRIDE 2 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:58 pm

In the words of Randy Moss, "SUPERBOWL HOMEBOY"!
PURPLE PRIDE 2

Friendliness: %

Postby 4Pack » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:35 pm

Hard too say if they are for real or not. IMO...they have not really played anyone yet. But....the Vikes have the NFC North all but wrapped up. With a 2.5 game lead and the tiebreak edge against the Packers right now...it is tough too imagine Green Bay catching them.

BTW...I am a huge Packer fan.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Vikings

Postby blueonion » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:23 am

If were to play word association I would not match the words 'legit' and 'NFC North Champion'. Sure, the Vikings have the inside track for the division, but winning the division does not make a team legit. The Vikings still need to prove a few things to themselves, to the fans and to the critics.

You have to give credit where credit is due though: They have crushed two quality opponents; Green Bay in <b>'the house that Moss build' [Lambo]</b> and the 49ers. They also handedly beat the three cup cakes, theam they were suppose to beat; @Detroit, @Atlanta and home against the Bears. Sure those teams are not that strong but they did handedly beat them. See Buffalo squeezing past Cincy.

The next three games will answer a lot of questions:

Home - Denver Broncos
Home - New York Giants
Home - Green Bay Packers

The BlueOnino
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:21 am

KingGhidra wrote:Their defense won't be able to bring them to 16-0, but they can beat Denver next week.

It looks like someone isnt aware that Denver has a top 3 defense so far this year. Denver's O has been awesome when both Portis and Plummer are in there (not to mention Shanahan, one of the top 3 offensive coaches in the NFL), Denver's D has been hot no matter who is playing, and Denver is one blown clipping call away from 6-0. Oh yeah, and we outgained KC almost 2:1. I don't think next week's game is as big a gimme as you seem to think. Assuming, of course, both Portis and Plummer are a go.

Who has Minnesota played so far this year? Chicago? Detroit? Atlanta? San Fran? Green Bay is the only win even worth mentioning. I'm far from impressed by their list of victories. I can think of several other teams that would be 5-0 against those 5.

That said, I think they are tremendously improved this year. Last year, they were a league-worst turnover margin from a winning season. This year, they're one of the league best. If this continues, they're a playoff lock.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Vikes?

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:07 am

thefonze wrote:As a longtime Vikings fan, I need a sanity check. How many people think their for real this year? After what has happened in the NFC this week, I think they look pretty good. However, I'm used to themk snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I think they are deifnitely for real. I wouldn't be surprised if they would get home field advantage through-out the play-offs. OK, maybe I am exaggerating a little bit, but they good! ;-D
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Super Freak » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:14 am

THEY ARE FO REAL MY PEOPLE AND CAN SOMEONE SAY DOWN TO THE CHEESEHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Orange and Blue » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:04 pm

Orange and Blue wrote:It looks like someone isnt aware that Denver has a top 3 defense so far this year. Denver's O has been awesome when both Portis and Plummer are in there (not to mention Shanahan, one of the top 3 offensive coaches in the NFL), Denver's D has been hot no matter who is playing, and Denver is one blown clipping call away from 6-0. Oh yeah, and we outgained KC almost 2:1. I don't think next week's game is as big a gimme as you seem to think. Assuming, of course, both Portis and Plummer are a go.

*kicks self for being a jinx*
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:30 pm

Dude, let me start by saying that I am a Vikings fan, but those of you who know me on here im sure will agree im not some big homer. But this team truely looks like the real deal. I dont think any other team in the NFL has dominated start to finish on both sides of the ball more consistently then the Vikes so far this year. True true the Vikes have had some poor opposition (Lions, Bears, Falcons) but the Vikes did not squeek out victories here, they dominated the games in every aspect like a quality contender should. Am I nervous about the Broncos game? absolutely i am because they are up against another quality contender in the Denver Broncos. But i do believe this is the Vikings game to lose especially playing in the dome. This Vikings team in a well rounded balanced club on both sides of the ball. Clearly the offence is still the strong point but the D will no longer hold them back IMO. my quick run down of the team:

QB: D.Culpepper; lets remember that Daunte is still very very young, most seem to forget that due to the very early success he had in this league. But Daunte is a quality Qb who can make plays through the air or on the ground. with just 1TO through his 3 games he looks to be getting a much better grasp on that aspect of his game. If he faulters Frerotte has shown that he can play effectively in this system. A-

RB: Moe is a great 3rd down / goal line back. as a premier back he is defintely below average. he is a fantastic blocker on passing downs though. Onterrio is very young but looks like he could become a game breaker. Bennett when healthy will make this rushing attack even more effective. he is a true game breaker. the vikings rushing game without Bennett and without Culpepper the last couple games is still #2 in the NFL. B+

O-LINE: probably the best part of this team is the massive o-line. this line dominates the trenches pushing whole defensive lines back 5 yards. is their a better line in football? A+

WR: this corps starts and ends with Randy Moss. Triple Coverage? no problem he'll go up and get it. he takes the extra pressure of the whole rest of the team. the rest of the recieving corps of Beurleson, Capbell and Bates is very young but has skill. Beurleson runs tight routes and makes tough grabs all over the field, Campbell is a speedster who can really stretch the field and its always easier opposite Moss. A-

TE: especially good for blocking, no real recieving threat from the Te spot but Kleinsasser is one of the best blocking TE's in the game today. B

D-LINE: no super studs but very solid. Hovan draws to blockers almost every play and is a good pass rusher. Robbins next to him in the middleis a solid run stuffer, hes that bib brick in the middle. Mixon on the end is a fantastic tackler and run stuffer as well who is developing some pass ridhing skills as well. Kevin Williams has looked great as a rookie, a quick first step and contnues to improve. Johnstone is good in passing situations to get to the QB (4.5 sacks). all together quite servicable B-

LINEBACKERS: this is the strong point of the D. Claiborne is a legit pro-bowl caliber LB who can rush the QB, defend the run and cover the pass. Biekert is the general in the middle though not the force he once was in oakland the dude has a football mind. he is the nucleus of that D. Henri Crockett, EJ henderson and Nick Rogers can also come in and hold up there own. B+

D-BACKS: Chavous lacks the speed and cover skills desired for a CB but moved to SS his insticts really shine through. 4 interceptins to this point show that. Brian Russell has come in at FS and had 1 int in each game to date. Walker, B. Williams and K. Irvin make 3 servicable CB's though from having and shut down corners. Williams is clearly the best of the bunch and just 24 years old. this is the week spot of the team still though vastly improved over last season. with a decent pass rush these players can hold there own. C+

All in all in the next few weeks i believe the Vikes will prove that they are truely a much improved club capable of doing some damage in this league. I think the opening day victory in lambeau showed they are serious this year.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk