Vikes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vikes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:35 pm

Zombiez wrote:.....they should continue to roll, prolly win there division, and if the NFC pattern continues the way it is now..

if the NFC pattern continues the way it is now, the Panthers finish 16-0 and dominate the entire NFC...
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:59 am

Purple_Pride wrote:Dude, let me start by saying that I am a Vikings fan, but those of you who know me on here im sure will agree im not some big homer. But this team truely looks like the real deal. I dont think any other team in the NFL has dominated start to finish on both sides of the ball more consistently then the Vikes so far this year. True true the Vikes have had some poor opposition (Lions, Bears, Falcons) but the Vikes did not squeek out victories here, they dominated the games in every aspect like a quality contender should.

Giving the Falcons a halftime lead and allowing them to score 26 points does not seem to be very dominant in every aspect. Your defense is much improved, but still has many flaws.

QB: D.Culpepper; lets remember that Daunte is still very very young, most seem to forget that due to the very early success he had in this league. But Daunte is a quality Qb who can make plays through the air or on the ground. with just 1TO through his 3 games he looks to be getting a much better grasp on that aspect of his game. If he faulters Frerotte has shown that he can play effectively in this system. A-

I will be sold on Cpup having cured his TO-bug after he's played 8 games. Until then, I find it hard to believe that Minnesota will continue to go from the league's WORST turnover ratio to its best. Also, Frerotte was successful in the system against weak teams by throwing jump balls to Moss. There are a few (granted, not many) teams with cornerbacks tall enough to stop that strategy cold. Case in point- meet Denver's 6'-4" CB Lenny Walls, who would be a probowl lock if he had better hands.

O-LINE: probably the best part of this team is the massive o-line. this line dominates the trenches pushing whole defensive lines back 5 yards. is their a better line in football? A+

Yup. Kansas City has what is widely agknowledged as the best O-line in football. Minnesota gets a lot of help on running plays because the QB himself is a running threat, which causes defenses to hesitate for a second. I'm not taking anything away from Minn's system, however, as they are consistantly one of the premeir rushing teams in the NFL.

WR: this corps starts and ends with Randy Moss. Triple Coverage? no problem he'll go up and get it. he takes the extra pressure of the whole rest of the team. the rest of the recieving corps of Beurleson, Capbell and Bates is very young but has skill. Beurleson runs tight routes and makes tough grabs all over the field, Campbell is a speedster who can really stretch the field and its always easier opposite Moss. A-

Minn is the Randy Moss show, and it has been since Carter retired. Your rookies are not talented, they're ignored by defenses. Moss hits problems when he's not able to outjump corners, however. I'm anticipating Lenny Walls to expose Minn as the one man show that they really are, and force the Vikes to win on the backs of Burleson and Campbell. I'll take Smith, Sharpe, and Lelie over those 2 any day.

I think you have your fan goggles on a little bit and have ranked a few units higher than they deserve. I really don't think any area deserves below a "C", but I think a few of those areas are merely average. I think Minn is the real deal and a playoff lock, but I think you're just a little too high on them. So on to the real point of this post- how's about it, Vicky? Do I smell a paper bag challenge?
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:16 pm

hey dude, yeah i tried to keep the fan goggles off, denvers #2, #3 and TE recieving options are superior to Minnesotas, no doubt about it but i think Randy is far enough superior to Rod Smith that it makes up for it, both have dangerous offences. but anyways, paper bag challenge eh? IM ALL OVER IT!!! i dont know how we get the paper bag dealies but as long as you know then i am in.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:31 pm

All this talk about Minny not playing anyone really tough is getting anoying. Who the hell has Denver played? Besides the Chiefs?

Let's take a look shall we?

Cinncinnatti: I really don't have to say anything here do I?
San Diego: Another stinker
Oakland: Not even shells of their former selves.
Detroit: Lowly Detroit almost wins the game...In Denver!!
KC: Denver's only true quality opponent to date.
Pittsburgh: should be better than they've been playing, but not exactly one of the best teams in the league (Sorry GP and Zobiez)

Yes Minnesota got down early to Atlanta...but they came storming back which is no easy feat, especially on the road, anywhere in the NFL. And they handily beat the Pack in Lambeau...again no east feat.

In my opinion yes this may be Minny's first real challenge, but it's not like Denver has had that many either...one with the Chiefs. It's going to be a hell of a game. I can hardly wait.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Lenny Walls?

Postby blueonion » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:41 pm

There have certainly been some good points made by the Minnesota and the Denver fans. We'll see what happens on the field this Sunday.

But <b>Lenny Walls</b>! You have to be kidding me?

According to the 2002 Draft Guide by the Sporting News, here are some cirtical numbers for Lenny Walls:

4.67 in the 40-yard dash&#8230;
2.68 20-yard dash&#8230;
1.65 10-yard dash&#8230;
37-inch vertical jump&#8230;
33 ½-inch arm length

If anybody (including Denver coaches) think they can match this guy up with Moss one-on-one, they are fooling themselves. Randy Moss will run circles around this guy. Now if Denver chooses to double Moss and play this Walls guy at safety rolling to Moss' side, Walls might have a chance to make some plays. But 4.67 in the 40? There is no way this guy can run with Moss, he will definitely need some help.

So if Denver chooses o double-coverage Moss, I am sure the Vikings will run on that small Denver defensive line. I can concede the Chiefs have the best offensive line in football (they truly are great), but they usually have to block against 8 guys in the box. With Randy Moss (and this Walls character a clear 4 or 5 steps behind him), the Vikings' offensive line has the luxury of blocking against 7 guys.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Not to mention the height advantage

Postby blueonion » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:49 pm

Lets say Moss is only 1 inch taller than this 'Walls' character, that is still 1 inch!

Does anybody remember (or maybe still does) playing the game '500', whether in the yard or in the pool? The guys that were taller or always had an advantage. They may not have always won, but I remember them having a big advantage, even if it was 1 inch because I always remember saying to myself, 'If I only had 1 more inch, I would be there!'

It should be noted that Randy Moss is not just 6'5", but it has been reported he has unbelievable 'hops' as well. I just don't think anybody who is 6'4 and runs a 4.6 or 4.7 40 time can cover Moss one-on-one.

Maybe we should start a brand new thread for this because I am very intrigued by the matchup myself. Obviously Walls is a talent (he is starting in the NFL, nuff said) and is 6'4.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 pm

ive been thinking the same thing. Moss will run his fair share of fly routes down the sideline, so lets say he runs 40 yards in his 4.1 and walls runs his in 4.7 thats gotta be 5 yards moss has on him. his height will help him cover on short routes and hooks but on the fly routes, his height will be useless.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:17 pm

fntsyrookie wrote:All this talk about Minny not playing anyone really tough is getting anoying. Who the hell has Denver played? Besides the Chiefs?

Let's take a look shall we?

Cinncinnatti: I really don't have to say anything here do I?
San Diego: Another stinker
Oakland: Not even shells of their former selves.
Detroit: Lowly Detroit almost wins the game...In Denver!!
KC: Denver's only true quality opponent to date.
Pittsburgh: should be better than they've been playing, but not exactly one of the best teams in the league (Sorry GP and Zobiez)

Yes Minnesota got down early to Atlanta...but they came storming back which is no easy feat, especially on the road, anywhere in the NFL. And they handily beat the Pack in Lambeau...again no east feat.

In my opinion yes this may be Minny's first real challenge, but it's not like Denver has had that many either...one with the Chiefs. It's going to be a hell of a game. I can hardly wait.

I hadn't realized this until you listed out all of the games, but Denver hasn't beaten any team with a winning record. In fact, they lost to the only team with a winning record that they played.

Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:27 pm

They are for real, and they are going to win this week vs the Broncos making them 6-0!!!
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Vikes Rock

Postby Alan Page Guy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:55 pm

Superbowl Homeboy!
Alan Page Guy

Friendliness: %

Previous