Building a PC - Need Help from PC Experts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Building a PC - Need Help from PC Experts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Building a PC - Need Help from PC Experts

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm

Ok, I've come to a point where I need to get a new PC and I'm considering building one myself. I really have no experience at this sort of thing and I've got a couple questions for anyone more knowledgeable then myself (probably most of you):

1) Is it worth it?
Should I just buy a PC from the store?

2) How easy is it?
I don't have any experience and I don't wanna end up wasting tons of money and screwing it up.

3) What's the cost vs. a pre-made PC?
I really don't know about this one. Would think it would be cheaper buying individual parts but then I thought it might be more costly buying then from various retailers.

Those are just some basic questions. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by bobbing_headz on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Get a Mac. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:58 pm

Metroid wrote:Get a Mac. ;-D

I just had a conversation about this over the weekend. I’m all for Macintosh and all, but for the money you might as well buy a PC. They’re cheaper, as good, they run all the software, etc. There’s really no difference between PC and Mac anymore other than looks and cost. I like how my Mac Mini looks, and it’s fun when people look at it and say “THAT’S your whole computer?!?” but the novelty of that has really worn off at this point.

Macs are great computers, but the money you have to spend to get one is better spent on a PC. You get more bang for your buck that way.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Getting a Mac is out of the question here.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Building a PC - Need Help from PC Experts

Postby The_Captain » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:50 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:Ok, I've come to a point where I need to get a new PC and I'm considering building one myself. I really have no experience at this sort of thing and I've got a couple questions for anyone more knowledgeable then myself (probably most of you):

1) Is it worth it?
Should I just buy a PC from the store?

2) How easy is it?
I don't have any experience and I don't wanna end up wasting tons of money and screwing it up.

3) What's the cost vs. a pre-made PC?
I really don't know about this one. Would think it would be cheaper buying individual parts but then I thought it might be more costly buying then from various retailers.

Those are just some basic questions. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I built my own computer about 2 years ago and while it was fun to do, if I had to do it over again, I would purchase a premade one.

I spend about $650 dollars building mine and by the time you purchase the motherboard, chip, memory, harddrive, case and other guizmos, you might as well just buy one. Plus, it would be handy to have someone with hardware experience help you through the process b/c if you insert the chip incorrectly or do something out of order you could screw up the motherboard.

With as cheap as PC's are nowadays, I think the smarter move is just to go get a pre-made one from a store. You'll probably end up spending less money.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:21 pm

I realize it may cost more but aren't you able to customize better? Guessing that may be the biggest pro but is it worth it alone?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Captain » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:24 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:I realize it may cost more but aren't you able to customize better? Guessing that may be the biggest pro but is it worth it alone?

Customize....what better? What are you referring to?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:30 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Get a Mac. ;-D

I just had a conversation about this over the weekend. I’m all for Macintosh and all, but for the money you might as well buy a PC. They’re cheaper, as good, they run all the software, etc. There’s really no difference between PC and Mac anymore other than looks and cost. I like how my Mac Mini looks, and it’s fun when people look at it and say “THAT’S your whole computer?!?” but the novelty of that has really worn off at this point.

Macs are great computers, but the money you have to spend to get one is better spent on a PC. You get more bang for your buck that way.

If you've been on a Mac pretty much all your life and you're a graphic designer, you want a Mac. My girl is and shes been dropping hints for a new laptop. I'm sure she'll get it too. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby jayday » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:45 pm

The_Captain wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:I realize it may cost more but aren't you able to customize better? Guessing that may be the biggest pro but is it worth it alone?

Customize....what better? What are you referring to?

I'm guessing he is referring to customizing (or ordering to certain specs) the processor, hard disk storage, RAM, video card, etc....And imo, customizing is a must....Do not buy a "cookie-cutter" stock PC off the shelf unless you don't plan on doing any gaming, multi-tasking, etc........
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:12 pm

There was a time when building a PC yourself could save you some money, but with the popularity of mainstream PCs today allowing big companies like Dell to save heavily by manufacturing en masse, that time has passed.

That said, I would still do it. It's not hard, I was able to do it with just an online tutorial to follow. There are a couple parts that can be a bit frustrating like mounting the heatsink and configuring the BIOS, but in the end it's really a good experience. Any time something goes wrong, or you need to upgrade, etc it'll be cake. And there's a certain satisfaction knowing you built it yourself. You can also do what you will with the appearance, cutting a window in the case or buying one pre-cut, putting in some cathode lights, LED fans, etc. I also through a fan bus on there just for fun.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to General Talk