My Wife Got A New Job! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My Wife Got A New Job!

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Wife Got A New Job!

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Some of you guys may remember that my wife has been looking for a new job off and on (mostly off) for the past couple of years. We live in Lincoln, NE and she’s been commuting to Omaha (about a 50-mile commute one-way) for the last five years. Her company has been gradually downsizing their Omaha facility beginning just after she got her job five years ago, and I’ve been pretty concerned since then that she’s going to get a pink slip or told that her position has been moved to Dallas or North Carolina since it didn’t really belong in Omaha.

Well, after about a dozen interviews she’s finally landed a job here in Lincoln. It’s less money, but when you figure in the $$$ we’ll save on gas and the fact that she won’t have to drive on the Interstate for an hour each way, it’s worth it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The_Captain » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Congrats to the wife knapp - I know this must be a big relief to both of you! ;-D

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:59 pm

congrats man. thats a relief that you wont have to be worrying that she'll come home to tell you that she's unemployed or that youre moving somewhere far away. best of luck to you guys ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:00 pm

Congrats! Nothing like a new job to make you feel like a million bucks.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I live in Dallas and lived in North Carolina for 5 years and both are exceptional places to live......so if you had to move at least you'd be moving to someplace cooler than Nebraska... :-b

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Best of luck to the Mrs ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:05 pm

The_Captain wrote:I live in Dallas and lived in North Carolina for 5 years and both are exceptional places to live......so if you had to move at least you'd be moving to someplace cooler than Nebraska... :-b

We moved to California for a couple of years, but this is where we want to raise our daughter, so if things hadn't worked out for a job in Lincoln we'd have moved to Omaha. Omaha is a pretty nice town, so if we'd have had to move it would have been there (there are way more jobs there than in Lincoln). Lincoln is a nice place to raise a child, but there's NOTHING going on here. No good shopping, very few good restaurants, no night life, nothing. The best thing about Lincoln is the low crime rate and it's quiet, and housing is relatively inexpensive.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:09 pm

knapplc wrote:
The_Captain wrote:I live in Dallas and lived in North Carolina for 5 years and both are exceptional places to live......so if you had to move at least you'd be moving to someplace cooler than Nebraska... :-b

We moved to California for a couple of years, but this is where we want to raise our daughter, so if things hadn't worked out for a job in Lincoln we'd have moved to Omaha. Omaha is a pretty nice town, so if we'd have had to move it would have been there (there are way more jobs there than in Lincoln). Lincoln is a nice place to raise a child, but there's NOTHING going on here. No good shopping, very few good restaurants, no night life, nothing. The best thing about Lincoln is the low crime rate and it's quiet, and housing is relatively inexpensive.

Totally understand and respect your thinking about living where it's good to raise a family knapp. I think you know I was just pulling your leg and part of the reason we live where we do is for the same reasons you listed. Good schools, quiet neighborhood, low crime rate, etc.

The only difference is we have good shopping, outstanding restaurants and good night life (if that's your thing).

Again, congrats to the Mrs. Knapp. ;-D Glad you all didn't have to uproot your life for the job.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm

Grats to the wife, Knapplc. Must be a huge load off the mind.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:55 pm

I think the biggest advantage for your wife is going to be the shorter commute. You don't quite realize how stressful a long car ride can be after a long day at work, especially if you've had a bad day or simply don't really care for what you're doing. Looking forward to 5 o'clock only knowing you'll have to sit in traffic for another hour and a half isn't a comforting thought. That's probably worth the less income right there.

Congrats to your family Knapp. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk