Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Issac Bruce a Hall of Famer?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 40

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:37 am

Yah, but whenever you talk about records, be they season or career, you have to consider the length of the NFL season and the structure of the game at the time which is why comparison to contemperaries is really the best yardstick.

The NFL season has varied in length from:
12 games in 1936 to
11 games in 1937 to
10 games in 1943 to
11 games in 1946 to
12 games in 1947 to
14 games in 1961 to
16 games in 1978.

Something to bear in mind when you start calling a season one of the best of all time. Just a thought.

Also, I can't believe I left out Marvin from my earlier list. Whoops.
Last edited by Matthias on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39 am

Once I see Art Monk in the hall, I'll start to think about Ike.

I voted yes.

Even though he doesn't lead in tons of numbers like Jerry Rice. I believe and many announcers have said that Issac Bruce is one of the best route runners in the history of the NFL. He plays the WR position extreemly well and I have always loved him. From his huge TD grabs to talking to himself on the sideline everything about him is great and he does have well above average numbers.

I think one day we will see him in the hall. It'll be a day far from today I believe. But he will have a shot.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skinsfan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:47 am

SniperShot wrote:Once I see Art Monk in the hall, I'll start to think about Ike.

I voted yes.

Even though he doesn't lead in tons of numbers like Jerry Rice. I believe and many announcers have said that Issac Bruce is one of the best route runners in the history of the NFL. He plays the WR position extreemly well and I have always loved him. From his huge TD grabs to talking to himself on the sideline everything about him is great and he does have well above average numbers.

I think one day we will see him in the hall. It'll be a day far from today I believe. But he will have a shot.

Of course, Bruce making it opens the door wide for Ellard, who at retirement had 13,000+ yards and was third all-time to go with one of the top receiving averages ever (17+). I've always figured Ellard as a guy who would make it long after most fans forgot him.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:38 pm

skinsfan wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Once I see Art Monk in the hall, I'll start to think about Ike.

I voted yes.

Of course, Bruce making it opens the door wide for Ellard, who at retirement had 13,000+ yards and was third all-time to go with one of the top receiving averages ever (17+). I've always figured Ellard as a guy who would make it long after most fans forgot him.

Wow, I never realized that Ellard of all people wasn't in the Hall just yet. That's a shame. I still stand by my hope that Bruce will someday enter the Hall, but it's looking like it may take a few tries before it happens.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Per Art Monk, his hugest season didn't even lead the league in yards (4th), nor in his second best season (3rd)--and it isn't like people weren't racking up huge yardage. I realize style comes into play and all, but still. the he dropped out of the top ten for a couple of years, he only finished with five seasons of 1000 plu syards, and if we give him the close one, six.He made the pro bowl a whole three times. I know the pro bowl isn't the be all and end all, but still.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bomb Squad » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Without a doubt. He has the ring, he was arguably a top 3 WR in his prime, and he has the probowls to his credit.
Bomb Squad
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Bomb Squad wrote:he was arguably a top 3 WR in his prime

When was that? Because Jerry Rice was one of the top 3 for most of Bruce's prime, and Cris Carter as well. And Randy Moss entered the game in 1998.

In 1995 he had his best season with 1,781 yards. I guess he was a top-3 WR that year. But that's the only year I can think of. Marvin entered the league in 1996. You have to have at least a four to five year prime where you're in the top of your position to be considered.

Again, I just don't see Bruce getting in.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Let's put this in perspective. Let's think about how rare it is for a player to hit the HoF. There's 17 receivers, total, in the Hall.

Names that I can think of off the top of my head who would be ahead of Bruce and have their tickets punched: Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison

Names that I would put ahead of Bruce assuming their career continues normally: Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt

Others to consider: Hines Ward, Jimmy Smith

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. But so for Bruce to get in, there would have to be about 10 more receivers inducted from players who played in the last 10 years after having 17 inducted over the first 40 years. Yah yah, yardage rankings, etc., etc. Number of games. More games = more yards, more TDs, etc.

I just don't see how it happens.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm

I think Hines is definitely ahead of Bruce (Along with the other obvious choices) Hines has slightly worse stats than Bruce, but is one of the best blocking WR's in the game nowadays, and perhaps one of the best blocking WR's to ever play. He also has played just about every game, and often plays through injuries. (Even when it means surgery soon after :~( ) And Ward unquestionably has contributed more off the field in regards to football, contributing immensely both financially and emotionally to mixed race south koreans like himself.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Deathwarmedover » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm

I vote no. IMO the hall should be reserved for the truly great players not merely the very good players or those that play a long time. Bruce has been very good for a long time but he really hasn't been great at any point in his career. For the record the same applies to Jimmy Smith.

Steve
Deathwarmedover
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk