Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Issac Bruce a Hall of Famer?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 40

Postby benb18a » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:18 pm

I think he should get in. During his prime, who did he have throwing to him? He was one of my favorite players growing up, and was certainly an elite WR back in his prime.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:14 pm

I voted no before reading everyone's thoughts and afterward I'm still a no but slightly leaned toward yes.

His numbers certainly look solid from a career standpoint but most of the players currently in there seem to have really proven themselves as standouts from their eras. Issac Bruce, while highly remembered to current NFL fans, may very well slip from memory a decade after his retirement.

IMO there might only be two active HoF'ers in the league right now at the WR position and that's TO and Marvin Harrison. I would have given the nod to Randy Moss but his last couple of years have killed that for me. TO rides the line too, but his numbers look too good right now.

Everyone else is probably 6 seasons away from getting close to HoF numbers or never going to get there. (I'm probably missing someone bigtime but those are the only 3 I can think of that could be close).
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby benb18a » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:10 pm

If Holt, CJ and SS keep up the pace they are on, they should get serious considerations.

Holt has had 6 straight seasons with atleast 81 catches, and 1300 yards. He is on pace this year to finish with about 1300 and 10 TDs.

Chad Johnson has had 3 seasons with atleast 1275 yards, and is on pace to finish with 1500 and 10 TDs. He is still pretty young, and may have 5-10 more seasons in him. And, he plays on a young, studly offense to help things in the long run.

Smith should still put up great numbers, he has averaged 100 YPG this year and will finish with near 10 TDs. He has a lot of years ahead of him as well.

After that, there aren't really any WRs worthy of HOF talk. These guys will end up with career numbers better than Bruce IMO.

If Randy Moss can turn his career back around, and a decent team decides to gamble on him, he could easily have a HOF career. If he keeps on producing anywhere near the level he did in his early years, he will be a first ballot HOF'er. Otherwise he will be just a huge disappointment. I remember watching him in his rookie year, torching Dallas for 3 50+ yard TD catches on Turkey Day, and thinking man this guy is going to be better than Rice. Unfortunately he is very unlikely to be decently productive anymore

:-[

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skinsfan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 pm

benb18a wrote:I think he should get in. During his prime, who did he have throwing to him?

That would be a Mr. Tony Banks, I believe.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:32 pm

skinsfan wrote:
benb18a wrote:I think he should get in. During his prime, who did he have throwing to him?

That would be a Mr. Tony Banks, I believe.

Hard to believe as it seems, it was indeed Tony Banks. I figured it had to be someone far better, but it was Banks who threw the rock to Bruce during the middle of his career, when he starting catching fire. Just before that, during his amazing 1995 season, it was Chris Miller of all people.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:54 pm

for me it's a definite no-brainer, but hey I'm biased.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 pm

benb18a wrote:If Holt, CJ and SS keep up the pace they are on, they should get serious considerations.

Holt has had 6 straight seasons with atleast 81 catches, and 1300 yards. He is on pace this year to finish with about 1300 and 10 TDs.

Chad Johnson has had 3 seasons with atleast 1275 yards, and is on pace to finish with 1500 and 10 TDs. He is still pretty young, and may have 5-10 more seasons in him. And, he plays on a young, studly offense to help things in the long run.

Smith should still put up great numbers, he has averaged 100 YPG this year and will finish with near 10 TDs. He has a lot of years ahead of him as well.

After that, there aren't really any WRs worthy of HOF talk. These guys will end up with career numbers better than Bruce IMO.

If Randy Moss can turn his career back around, and a decent team decides to gamble on him, he could easily have a HOF career. If he keeps on producing anywhere near the level he did in his early years, he will be a first ballot HOF'er. Otherwise he will be just a huge disappointment. I remember watching him in his rookie year, torching Dallas for 3 50+ yard TD catches on Turkey Day, and thinking man this guy is going to be better than Rice. Unfortunately he is very unlikely to be decently productive anymore

:-[
isn't this sorta contradicting with your last post?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby benb18a » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 pm

I guess you could say that. I meant that if Bruce makes it, that the big 3 I named should as well. I am also biased, since Bruce was one of my favorite players growing up.

If Irvin can be considered, I think Bruce should.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:51 am

I say no.

He doesn't hot-dog it enough. He'll never compete with the likes of Chad Johnson, TO, or Steve Smith. Those guys are locks. Isaac has a long way to go.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skinsfan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:27 am

One guy who won't make it unless he starts setting some records quickly a la Priest Holmes is Steve Smith. He's already pushing 27 and only has two good seasons under his belt, going on three. But the main reason I feel he'll miss is because he's just too fragile.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk