what was favre thinking - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

what was favre thinking

Moderator: Football Moderators

what was favre thinking

Postby LnkX » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:17 am

ok i lost because damn farve somehow thought he had to get in the endzone even though the game was already over. i was winning but nooo he decided to add more points to seattle defense and ended up fumbling which made me lose by one point. wtf.
LnkX
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Leber » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:08 am

Yeah Favre(one of the most competitive players ever) should have just given up at the end so you would have won your Fantasy game this week. ;-) I know where your coming from but you should understand that Favre is not a player that will give up at all. If there's any time left on the clock he will try to win the game.
Leber
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BigDballer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm

What was Favre thinking? Sounds like that could be a game show... or board game.
( __ /)
(=*.*=)
( ")_(" )
BigDballer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby J. Walter Weatherman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Leber wrote:Yeah Favre(one of the most competitive players ever) should have just given up at the end so you would have won your Fantasy game this week. ;-) I know where your coming from but you should understand that Favre is not a player that will give up at all. If there's any time left on the clock he will try to win the game.

being competitive does not = being good. i'm tired of watching packer games because all they ever talk about is how great Favre is. last night he looked like an idiot throwing those last few picks and fumbling. real competitors know how to get it done without looking like a fool.

and i used to like brett
J. Walter Weatherman
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby grizzwold » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:28 pm

J. Walter Weatherman wrote:
Leber wrote:Yeah Favre(one of the most competitive players ever) should have just given up at the end so you would have won your Fantasy game this week. ;-) I know where your coming from but you should understand that Favre is not a player that will give up at all. If there's any time left on the clock he will try to win the game.

being competitive does not = being good. i'm tired of watching packer games because all they ever talk about is how great Favre is. last night he looked like an idiot throwing those last few picks and fumbling. real competitors know how to get it done without looking like a fool.

and i used to like brett

:~(

Fantasy football is not real.
grizzwold
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shopvack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:12 am

Okay everyone, remove your fantasy football hats a moment and think about this rationally.
----------------------------------------
scenario: 2006 green bay packers

Problem: Your offensive line has 3 rookies starting, none of whom have proven themselves very good in pass-protection.

Solution: Keep 2-3 men in the backfield to help with pass protection.

Result: only 2-3 men can go out for a pass.

Now, this can work in a normal game situation, where there is some back and forth scoring and the running game is a viable option. But when down late in the fourth quarter, you have to give your quarterback a chance to take you downfield--and fast--for a score. Now remember, the defense knows perfectly well that the opposition is passing.

With a normal team, this isn't as big of a problem. But with the Packers, you have to consider the above scenario. As a result, the defense rushes 4 men, leaving 7 players covering 2-3, and the chances of ANY quarterback are very high.

Favre was doing what he had to in the end of the MNF game. Granted, he isn't the player he once was, and he still makes some head-scratcher decisions, but those late picks weren't a sign that he needs to hang it up. It's a result of a number of unfortunate situations that he is dealing with. Yes, he could do it in his prime, but you can argue that you can count the number of quarterbacks in history who could rival favre in his prime on one hand.
shopvack
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby J. Walter Weatherman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm

exactly, that's what favre is. [/i]history. if eli or grossman or any other qb in the league plays as poorly as favre does then every single analyst is questioning his ability to lead, or even start. favre does it and "he's having fun." hmmm. to me, fun is winning and throwing touchdowns, not picks. but maybe that's just me
J. Walter Weatherman
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:32 pm

brees threw what would be considered a horrible decision in the end of the first half. pretend that deangelo hall did intercept the ball and copper didn't get that TD. would we be having a thread about brees being dumb?

they're just trying to win.
Last edited by JasonSeahorn on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shopvack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 pm

^^great point.

J. Walter Weatherman wrote:exactly, that's what favre is. [/i]history. if eli or grossman or any other qb in the league plays as poorly as favre does then every single analyst is questioning his ability to lead, or even start. favre does it and "he's having fun." hmmm. to me, fun is winning and throwing touchdowns, not picks. but maybe that's just me

i don't buy it. people were questioning favre's ability to lead at the beginning of the season. he's proven he can still play. the problem is there is so little experience around him that he can only do so much.

but whatever. i feel i made a pretty strong argument in my last post, so unless someone refutes something i stated earlier, my favre defense rests.
shopvack
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:05 am

Favre isn't as good as he was. But that doesn't mean he isn't any good at all.

What he needs is a little accountability, which is what Mike Sherman NEVER had with him. McCarthy has kept Favre in check for much of the year. Last game, they were behind and McCarthy gave Favre the reigns. Favre tried to force it, like usual, and that was that. But face it, they weren't going to win that game unless he made something miraculous happen.

The talent is there. It is the decision making that needs constant supervision. That is what Holmgren did. He still needs that, because he is NOT Peyton Manning. He's a gun slinger.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting