Man This Would Be Awesome - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Man This Would Be Awesome

Moderator: Football Moderators

Man This Would Be Awesome

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:23 am

Just imagine how much more exciting even just a 4 team playoff would be this year.

If it ended like it is today we'd have:

OSU vs FL & USC vs MI

Followed by the winners playing for the title.

That would be unreal.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Idahofan1 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:27 am

What if Arkansas beats Florida?
Idahofan1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:35 am

Idahofan1 wrote:What if Arkansas beats Florida?

flotsamnjetsam wrote:If it ended like it is today we'd have:

That's the point though. More teams would be playing more meaningful games later in the year. Playoff's are the only way I'd ever really get excited about college football. Until more than 1 Bowl game means anything, that's not going to change for me.

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:02 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

That's the point though. More teams would be playing more meaningful games later in the year. Playoff's are the only way I'd ever really get excited about college football. Until more than 1 Bowl game means anything, that's not going to change for me.

Every one of those Bowl Games in December is exciting. Those are all great games. Even bowl games like the Emerald Bowl where you have scrub teams like FSU playing are entertaining. :-B
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I think the point Idahofan1 was making is that if ARK wins then your playoff scenario is not needed. A 2-loss team should NEVER enter the NC discussion. In that situation I wouldnt want to see a 4-team playoff. USC and OSU would play for the title. An unneeded playoff game would just muddy the waters.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:38 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Every one of those Bowl Games in December is exciting. Those are all great games. Even bowl games like the Emerald Bowl where you have scrub teams like FSU playing are entertaining. :-B

I totally agree, but they mean absolutely nothing. Only 1 Bowl game means anything when it comes to the National Title. The rest of the games are played for pride & money, nothing else.

Let's say we had this system in the NFL last year. Here's the seedings:

AFC
1. Indy
2. Denv.
3. Cincy
4. NE
5. Jax
6. Pitt

NFC
1. Seat.
2. Chi.
3. TB
4. NYG
5. Car.
6. Wash.

So this is what would happen.

Pitt. Plays Wash. for 11th/12th place
Jax Plays Car. for 9th/10th place
NE Plays NYG for 7th/8th place
Cincy Plays TB for 5th/6th place
Denv. Plays Chi. for 3rd/4th place

All these games could be exciting but they wouldn't mean anything as far as the Super Bowl goes.

Then you'd have #1 Indy Play #1 Seat. for the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh wouldn't have even had the CHANCE to play for the title.

:-t

flotsamnjetsam

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:45 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I totally agree, but they mean absolutely nothing. Only 1 Bowl game means anything when it comes to the National Title. The rest of the games are played for pride & money, nothing else.

Let's say we had this system in the NFL last year. Here's the seedings:

AFC
1. Indy
2. Denv.
3. Cincy
4. NE
5. Jax
6. Pitt

NFC
1. Seat.
2. Chi.
3. TB
4. NYG
5. Car.
6. Wash.

So this is what would happen.

Pitt. Plays Wash. for 11th/12th place
Jax Plays Car. for 9th/10th place
NE Plays NYG for 7th/8th place
Cincy Plays TB for 5th/6th place
Denv. Plays Chi. for 3rd/4th place

All these games could be exciting but they wouldn't mean anything as far as the Super Bowl goes.

Then you'd have #1 Indy Play #1 Seat. for the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh wouldn't have even had the CHANCE to play for the title.

:-t

I agree, its great that these things mean something, but we want the NC to be the best team in the country, for that to happen they need to beat other "best" teams and not just have a debate about whose loss was worse.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

That would be sweeeeet. I have been saying for a while that a 4 team playoff (or potentially even an 8 teamer) is the way to go.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:28 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That would be sweeeeet. I have been saying for a while that a 4 team playoff (or potentially even an 8 teamer) is the way to go.

Half the people in continental North America have been saying this for a while now.

I prefer the Bowl system the way it is now, even if Michigan is getting jobbed this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:30 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:That would be sweeeeet. I have been saying for a while that a 4 team playoff (or potentially even an 8 teamer) is the way to go.

I agree to a point, but I would hate to see OSU this year have to play FLA to prove that they belong in the NC game. And what if OSU won and Mich beat USC? Now we'd be back to discussing why the NC game would even need to be played.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to College Football