Split National Title? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Split National Title?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:45 pm

CC wrote:I'm not arguing that as a reason as to why Michigan is better, I'm just wondering why USC's less impressive win over ND (than Michigan's) moved USC up to #2 and Michigan down to #3.

I could see it if Michigan beat ND by 3 and then USC destroyed ND, but voters were thinking Michigan was #2 prior to the game and then USC jumps them by beating what has been established as a hugely overrated ND team.


Listen, the very fact that Michigan lost their game but retained their #2 ranking is the biggest issue here. In the last 20-30 years, when a #2 team loses even if it's to the #1 team, how many times has that #2 team retained its #2 ranking? My knowledge is hardly all-encompassing, but I cannot recall that happening before.

I have no qualms about saying Michigan is one of the best teams in the country. I have no qualms with the supposition that they are the #2 team in the country. But with the history of #1 vs #2 such as it is, there's no way I'm interested in hearing Michigan fans claim unfair treatment, bias or whatever. Michigan got one of the biggest benefits of the doubt I've ever seen.

Bottom line is they had their shot. They didn't win, so it's time to tip your cap to the Buckeyes and get ready to kick some Ace in the bowl game and earn that #2 ranking.

Think about it this way, Wolverine fans. USC is no slouch. They're not as good as recent years, but they can play football. If they knock off Ohio State and Michigan wins their game convincingly, Michigan can still finish ahead of the hated OSU Buckeyes.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:26 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
Atog wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Riddle me this.....if USC beats Ohio St. and Michigan wins their bowl game how could anyone vote the team #1 who LOST to Ohio St. over the team who BEAT Ohio St?????? :-?


This has kind of been said already, but because Michigan lost by three points and on a totally unecessary semi-freak penalty, IN COLUMBUS, on an incredibly shoddy field. If I remember correctly OSU had like 3 TDs of 40+ yards, which would never have happened if the field hadn't been re-sodded like a week before the game.


These kind of rationalizations from Michigan fans since "The Game" amuse me to no end. I'll try to simplify this, as I know big words tend to confuse Wolverines. (I'd bust out the crayons but that would be patronizing (Big word for rude))

Michigan lost because they didn't score as many points as Ohio State did.

3 in a Row. 5 out of 6.

Deal with it.

:-D

You type too fast - please print slower and in big letters so I can read!

Image

:-D


I W-I-L-L T-R-Y S-T-O-M-P-E-R.

:-D


:-D :-D :-D
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 168)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 pm

CC wrote:
knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
Atog wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Riddle me this.....if USC beats Ohio St. and Michigan wins their bowl game how could anyone vote the team #1 who LOST to Ohio St. over the team who BEAT Ohio St?????? :-?


This has kind of been said already, but because Michigan lost by three points and on a totally unecessary semi-freak penalty, IN COLUMBUS, on an incredibly shoddy field. If I remember correctly OSU had like 3 TDs of 40+ yards, which would never have happened if the field hadn't been re-sodded like a week before the game.


These kind of rationalizations from Michigan fans since "The Game" amuse me to no end. I'll try to simplify this, as I know big words tend to confuse Wolverines. (I'd bust out the crayons but that would be patronizing (Big word for rude))

Michigan lost because they didn't score as many points as Ohio State did.

3 in a Row. 5 out of 6.

Deal with it.

:-D


Not all Michigan fans are making excuses, I believe Michigan got outplayed and would lose again if they played tOSU, but that doesn't change the fact Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country.


This may or may not be true, but it still doesn't change the fact that this is an opinion, not a fact. It is also an opinion that not a lot of people who don't call themselves Michigan fans adhere to, too.


I completely disagree and I really don't see how Michigan can be ahead of USC and then USC beats a team by 20 at home that Michigan beat by 26 on the road and jumps them. But whatever, if you're not first, you're last. Who cares about 2nd place?


Well in this case 2nd place matters a lot, because they play in the nat'l championship...
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:00 am

usc claims a championship without playing in the national championship game. i hate usc. i hate the bcs. and i hate you. :-b

edit: and nebraska sucks. go sooners. ;-D ;-D
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:I'm not arguing that as a reason as to why Michigan is better, I'm just wondering why USC's less impressive win over ND (than Michigan's) moved USC up to #2 and Michigan down to #3.

I could see it if Michigan beat ND by 3 and then USC destroyed ND, but voters were thinking Michigan was #2 prior to the game and then USC jumps them by beating what has been established as a hugely overrated ND team.


Listen, the very fact that Michigan lost their game but retained their #2 ranking is the biggest issue here. In the last 20-30 years, when a #2 team loses even if it's to the #1 team, how many times has that #2 team retained its #2 ranking? My knowledge is hardly all-encompassing, but I cannot recall that happening before.
I have no qualms about saying Michigan is one of the best teams in the country. I have no qualms with the supposition that they are the #2 team in the country. But with the history of #1 vs #2 such as it is, there's no way I'm interested in hearing Michigan fans claim unfair treatment, bias or whatever. Michigan got one of the biggest benefits of the doubt I've ever seen.

Bottom line is they had their shot. They didn't win, so it's time to tip your cap to the Buckeyes and get ready to kick some Ace in the bowl game and earn that #2 ranking.

Think about it this way, Wolverine fans. USC is no slouch. They're not as good as recent years, but they can play football. If they knock off Ohio State and Michigan wins their game convincingly, Michigan can still finish ahead of the hated OSU Buckeyes.


Two comments that support both sides:

You cant recall it because its never happened before this year. You hit the nail on the head. They shouldve never been ranked #2 after the loss.

Also, the inconsistency of the pollsters is maddening. If they did think Michigan was #2 after their loss to OSU, then I dont know how they decide to move USC ahead of them after the fact. The only logic I can make from it is that the pollsters think ND is a better team now then they were when Michigan played them. (?) :-?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:23 pm

I don't think UM should have been number 2 after the game, but i also don;t think USC should have been 2 or 3 either. USC is not that great of a team IMO.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Postby mrider » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 am

deerayfan072 wrote:I don't think UM should have been number 2 after the game, but i also don;t think USC should have been 2 or 3 either. USC is not that great of a team IMO.


I don't agree with the first part, but I agree with USC not being that great of a team they lost to Oregon St., seriuously how does a team who lost to Oregon St. deserve a shot at the National Title. Well at least they don't have one now after losing yesterday. Go Blue!!
Image
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1292
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Bills Win

Previous

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:52 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact