Another ethics question, please help. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another ethics question, please help.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another ethics question, please help.

Postby Woodsy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 pm

I am the commish of an 8 team keeper league all of us are friends. Recently the team that was tied for 5th place that did not have a real good shot a making the playoff's because of the win-loss records, but still did have a shot, decided to give up. He put in players that he knew were injured or not playing this week. His reasoning is that he wants the best draft pick for next year. Now the other owners are upset because this could have effected the playoffs. There was no rule to stop this type thing. What do you guys think.
Start- 1QB,2WR,2RB,1Flex,1K,1DEF
Standard Scoring, except bonus points for long plays and defense which is 10 pts for a TD, 3 pts for a sk, int or fum rec. 8 team keeper league
Woodsy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:38 pm

i think it's unethical, but it's not illegal....give the owner a warning and tell him not do it again. if he does it again, then give him the last pick of the draft next year ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Well said. This was probably legal, but wrong. I would inform him that outright tanking his games is unacceptable, and that he will not be invited back to the league next year if it continues.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:19 pm

You need to have some weekly prizes so that people still try to win.

In my one league, we put up $5...i mean $5k...each time we lose. 10 team league means 5 losers per week. $25...i mean $25k...is in the pot.

High points for the week gets that pot.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:04 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:You need to have some weekly prizes so that people still try to win.

In my one league, we put up $5...i mean $5k...each time we lose. 10 team league means 5 losers per week. $25...i mean $25k...is in the pot.

High points for the week gets that pot.

We have a $5 weekly prize for the top scorer, but we had someone tank a game this week to get a better draft pick next year. It didn't have any playoff implications, but it will if he decides to do it again this week (it could affect who gets the bye week).
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

My thoughts can be found here:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=307761

Same situation talked about.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Well a few random thoughts. First, this should lead you to putting in a new rule for next year. Essentially something along the lines of the bottom 4 teams go into a lottery to determine the first 4 picks. Kind of like the NBA draft lottery is done now.

Now aside from that, I think the current lack of an in place rule leaves the league open to this. The guy is not doing it to ruin the league, even though the teams in competition may think he is. He is simply doing the best he can to set up for next year. In all honesty, I don't see this as any different than trading older players for younger players later in the year. He is simply forgoing wins this year (which are meaningless to him at this point) to better his chances for next year.

Someone trading Tiki Barber for a Cedric Benson could easily cause a team to lose every game from here on in but it wouldn't cause people to get mad because they would see it as his building for next year. How is this really any different?

Now personally, I would not want to be in a league like this, hence my numerous rules on trades and lineups in regards to future years. I charge people for lineups who score too little, I run a lottery for the top picks in the next years draft, and I do not allow any trading of draft picks until the current year is completed.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Football Talk