Kansas City WRs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kansas City WRs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kansas City WRs

Postby skinsfan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Can anyone tell me why the Chiefs' Wide Receivers never put up good stats? Yes, there's a great TE who may be stealing catches (but WRs seem to excel in NY and even Baltimore) and yes they stick to the run game (but we've seen great wideouts emerge in Denver amongst other teams).

What's stopping a solid WR from emerging there? Is it simply that the talent isn't there? After all, they haven't taken a WR high since the Sylvester Morris debacle (injuries). Kennison was once a talented burner but is old and washed up now. Boerigter had a shot, but injuries derailed him. Any insight?
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm

you answered your questions for the most part. the chiefs are not a pass heavy team and gonzalez was considered as basically the number one wide there. Kennison is getting old, and kinda following in the footsteps of Keenan Mccardell and disappearing. The chiefs also have samie parker and dante hall, but both of them just serve as deep threats...their only gonna get a few catches per game and you gotta hope they are for TD's. None of the chiefs wides are designed to be solid possession recievers like CJ, TO, or Boldin...it's more like having three bernard berrians.

another thing to keep in mind is that damon huard has been playing almost all season...if you take his numbers, he is averaging 16 completions with 27 attempts, for 200 yards a game...no reciever is gonna get high stats when their quarterback doesn't throw a lot.

and the final factor is definetly Larry Johnson...like you said, the chiefs are run-heavy....and can be downright arrogant about it. i've seen many 2nd and 3rd downs with long yards to go where the chiefs decide to run with LJ instead of pass. and once the chiefs get to the goal line, they will definetly use LJ to stick the ball in the endzone, forget any goal line passes.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:23 pm

I think it's pretty simple. LJ, gets probably over 65%of their offensive looks.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby logan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:52 pm

i would have to say that yep it's pretty much the talent level more than anything.(atleast in past years) in the last season and a half the offense has been much more run oriented. even before that when it was more passing most of that passing was to either priest or tony and then whatever slew of wideouts we had.kennison,morton,boerighter,parker they all got mainly the leftovers of priest and tony in their heydays.

keep in mind that up until this year trent has posted over 4000 yards for three seasons in a row and posted over 3500 the prior two years so the passing game was there to support a top flight wideout we just have never had one. we could have and should have kept horn but hey what can you do.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby skinsfan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 am

logan wrote:keep in mind that up until this year trent has posted over 4000 yards for three seasons in a row and posted over 3500 the prior two years so the passing game was there to support a top flight wideout we just have never had one. we could have and should have kept horn but hey what can you do.

This is what confuses me. Maybe Trent Green just isn't the kind of QB who utilizes a go-to WR.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:48 am

When you have the league's leading rusher, a hall of fame TE, and a 60 year old QB, why try to force feed your wideouts?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:49 pm

Herm Edwards would play 9 linemen if the league allowed him to.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Re: Kansas City WRs

Postby spodog » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:30 pm

skinsfan wrote:Can anyone tell me why the Chiefs' Wide Receivers never put up good stats? Yes, there's a great TE who may be stealing catches (but WRs seem to excel in NY and even Baltimore) and yes they stick to the run game (but we've seen great wideouts emerge in Denver amongst other teams).

What's stopping a solid WR from emerging there? Is it simply that the talent isn't there? After all, they haven't taken a WR high since the Sylvester Morris debacle (injuries). Kennison was once a talented burner but is old and washed up now. Boerigter had a shot, but injuries derailed him. Any insight?

Game Plan.
Herm Edwards has tossed 40% of the Chiefs offensive plays that were in the play book under Al Saunders the last few years and torn them out of the playbook, replacing them with "off tackle right" and "off tackle left".

As for Kennison, I think your right about him being old. You are dead wrong about him being washed up. Total up the last 3 to 4 years catch statistics and yardage stats, and you'll be amazed at where this guy ranks in the NFL. He gets a lot of quiet yards and has been a very reliable, high value fantasy #3 and sometimes even #2 guy the last 4 years.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk