Who thinks Thomas Jones will be resting very soon. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who thinks Thomas Jones will be resting very soon.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who thinks Thomas Jones will be resting very soon.

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 pm

Jones has had a huge workload and as the Bears get closer to the end of the season, do you think Benson will start the final few games?

Benson v.s. DET and GB, I like them odds. He is sitting on the WW in both my leagues, all I have to do is drop Lundy or DeAngelo.
kingmike74
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skinsfan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:41 pm

I think they want to get Benson in a groove before the playoffs because they'd rather rely on his north-south style if they face defenses that are great laterally such as New York, Carolina, and even Seattle. I'd expect the carries to shift significantly between now and when they begin resting their starters, which may be as early as week 16 if they can wrap up the #1 seed.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby theimitator » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:08 pm

I like that call.

Especially when considering the merits of Lundy, who I hear will be splitting his carries three ways now, and Williams, who will split carries on a sputtering offense.

Nice heads up!

;-D
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mattb47 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:37 pm

I think it's more likely you will see a committee type approach. With two guys with such differing running styles, a mixture of the two backs could end up being a very good combination. I think you'll see them get close to a 50/50 split by the years end. It is significantly tougher to gameplan against both the outside slashing RB like Jones along with the north/south power running of a guy like Benson than it is just one of them.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think if I make the playoffs, Benson could push me over the edge if he gets 15 carries.
kingmike74
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm

I hate to say it but it looks like Benson is going to get more reps. In the patriots game he played several series and was left in when the bears got near the goaline. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Benson getting 15 or so carries a game.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:41 am

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I hate to say it but it looks like Benson is going to get more reps. In the patriots game he played several series and was left in when the bears got near the goaline. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Benson getting 15 or so carries a game.

Chicago never takes the RB out when they get near the goalline. It wasn't a typical vulture situation like NYG and Dallas, where TJ ran it to the redzone and Benson finished it off. It just happened that Benson was the one who started that series, so he got to finish.

Frankly, I'm not all too certain Benson will get more carries just to rest TJ. If anything, he'll get more carries in mop up duties because Chicago's remaining schedule is pretty good for RBs. TJ hasn't really been overworked either, since Chicago had problems running the ball early in the season and got away from the run pretty quickly then. Only since after their bye has TJ consistently gotten a large amount of carries.

Benson may turn out to be a great thing to have on your bench, but I really don't see Chicago resting their starters in weeks 15 and 16. I'd say if you have the bench space, he's could be worth a flier, but there are other committee backs that are more reliable.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SniperShot » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:36 am

Even though Jones should play I doubt he will put up great numbers. He's a low end #2 RB at this point IMO.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Benson really looked good and rested, and played tough against NE, and IMO earned more carries. Jones sat out practice with a minor groin injury, so this might be the opening Ced was waiting for to get in and show his stuff.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk