Who's going to which Bowl games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Who's going to which Bowl games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who's going to which Bowl games

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 pm

Here's some of the non BCS Bowl games announced:

Roundup: Rice accepts bid to play in New Orleans Bowl
Nov. 28, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

HOUSTON -- Rice will make its first bowl appearance since 1961 after accepting a bid to play in the New Orleans Bowl.

The Owls, representing Conference USA, will play the Sun Belt Conference champion Dec. 22 at the Superdome in the first bowl game there since Hurricane Katrina. Troy will be Rice's opponent if it beats Florida International this week. A loss would give Middle Tennessee the berth.

Rice (7-5, 6-2 C-USA) made a stunning turnaround from last year's 1-10 season, winning seven of its last eight games after an 0-4 start.

The Owls lost to Kansas in the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl.

The New Orleans Bowl, sponsored by R+L Carriers, was played in Lafayette, La., last season after Katrina swamped the city around the start of football season. Full story

Beavers are Sun Bowl bound
EL PASO, Texas -- Oregon State, the only team to beat USC this season, accepted a bid to play in the Sun Bowl.

The Beavers took third place in the Pac-10 with a narrow win over Oregon in the annual Civil War rivalry game Friday. Oregon State (8-4, 6-3 Pac-10) has won six of its last seven games.

Oregon State, which finishes the season at No. 24 Hawaii on Saturday, will face either Missouri, the fifth-place team in the Big 12, or the second-place team from the Big East.

The Gator Bowl will determine Oregon State's opponent. After the Gator picks a team from either the Big 12 or Big East, the Sun Bowl gets a team from the conference that wasn't chosen.

Wolfe, NIU to play in Poinsettia
DEKALB, Ill. -- Northern Illinois, featuring the nation's leading rusher in Garrett Wolfe, accepted an invitation to play TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego on Dec. 19.

Northern Illinois (7-5) will be playing in its second bowl in three years. The Huskies beat Troy in the 2004 Silicon Valley Bowl.

NIU has seven straight winning seasons under coach Joe Novak. It clinched a winning record this year with a 27-0 win over Eastern Michigan last Friday in its regular-season finale.

Wolfe, the offensive player of the year in the Mid-American Conference, rushed for 1,900 yards this season with 19 touchdowns. During his career, Wolfe has gained 5,136 yards rushing, scored 57 TDs and had 22 100-yard rushing games.

W. Michigan in first Int'l Bowl
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- Western Michigan has accepted a bid to play in the inaugural International Bowl, to be held Jan. 6 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

The 2007 International Bowl will be the first bowl game played outside the United States since the 1937 Bacardi Bowl in Havana. Western Michigan, a member of the Mid-American Conference, will play an undetermined Big East Conference team.

The Broncos (8-4, 6-2 MAC) finished second in the conference's West Division, behind Central Michigan.

Western Michigan boasts the sixth-best rushing defense on Division I-A, limiting opponents to 71.9 yards per game. The team leads the nation with 22 interceptions.

Tulsa headed for Armed Forces
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Tulsa accepted a bid to represent Conference USA in the Armed Forces Bowl against Utah.

Tulsa (8-4) will make its third bowl appearance in four seasons under coach Steve Kragthorpe, and play in its 14th bowl overall, in the Dec. 23 game on the TCU campus against Utah (7-5). The Utes, from the Mountain West Conference, are in their fourth straight bowl.

Before Kragthorpe became their coach, the Golden Hurricane hadn't played in a postseason game since the 1991 Freedom Bowl and had been to only three bowls the previous 37 seasons.

Tulsa ended its regular season with a 38-3 victory over Tulane on Friday that snapped a three-game losing streak.

C. Michigan to participate in Motor City
DETROIT -- Central Michigan accepted a bid to play in the Motor City Bowl, becoming the first Michigan team to participate in the decade-old postseason game.

The Chippewas (8-4) will be making only their third Division I-A bowl appearance and first since they played UNLV in the 1994 Las Vegas Bowl. They are 0-2.

Central will play an undetermined team from the Big Ten Conference.

The Motor City Bowl will be played Dec. 26 at Ford Field, a venue with which Central will be familiar, considering it is the site of Thursday night's Mid-American Conference championship game between the Chippewas and Ohio.

E. Carolina accepts bid for PapaJohns.com
GREENVILLE, N.C. -- East Carolina accepted a bid to play in the inaugural PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., the first bowl game for the Pirates since 2001.

The Dec. 23 game will match the Pirates (7-5) against a team from the Big East Conference, which will send its fourth- or fifth-place team to the game. The most likely candidates are South Florida or Cincinnati.

The Pirates will be making their 13th bowl appearance, but their first since losing 64-61 in double overtime to Marshall in the 2001 GMAC Bowl.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm a football addict so I'll be watching as many as possable. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Sandrock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:02 pm

My Beavs first ever trip to El Paso. My father bought tickets to the game and he's taking me with him. We are both OSU alums. And as much as I hate to admit it, my mothers Bachelors says UO on it. She doesn't get to go! ;-D
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:07 pm

FSU and UCLA in the emerald bowl
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:FSU and UCLA in the emerald bowl

You got a source? I haven't seen any ACC people accept bids anywhere as of yet and I don't think UCLA has either since their season isn't over. Is this set in stone or is this just what you predict?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sandrock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:

You got a source? I haven't seen any ACC people accept bids anywhere as of yet and I don't think UCLA has either since their season isn't over. Is this set in stone or is this just what you predict?

It's definitely a prediction. UCLA isn't even projected to be picked for a bowl on several sites. With a loss vs USC they'll be at 6-6, which means unless they get picked picked for a tie-in-bowl, every team with 7 wins gets a bowl before them. And I don't see the Emerald picking UCLA over a 7 win ASU team, even without Koetter.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Coming from 620 WDAE in Tampa:

The Seminoles were waiting until VT did not get picked by the BCS and they will make the announcement tommorow that they are going to the Emerald Bowl.

ASU is already going to the Shearton Hawaii Bowl, Oregon or UCLA are the 2 teams that could play FSU in the emerald bowl, and Oregon is in the Pioneer Bowl.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:47 pm

For good measure here is the link stating it is FSU/UCLA

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=613370
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:50 pm

Sandrock wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

It's definitely a prediction. UCLA isn't even projected to be picked for a bowl on several sites. With a loss vs USC they'll be at 6-6, which means unless they get picked picked for a tie-in-bowl, every team with 7 wins gets a bowl before them. And I don't see the Emerald picking UCLA over a 7 win ASU team, even without Koetter.

ASU has already actually agreed to play in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl in Honolulu. That leaves USC, Cal, Oregon St ahead of UCLA no matter what happens on Saturday. WIth a win they would be ahead of Oregon and Arizona St, a loss and they'd be tied with Arizona and Washington.

This is how I see the PAC-10 teams' bowl games working out...

BCS - USC
Pacific Life - Cal
Sun - Oregon St
Emerald - UCLA
Hawaii - ASU
Las Vegas - Oregon
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:53 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

ASU has already actually agreed to play in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl in Honolulu. That leaves USC, Cal, Oregon St ahead of UCLA no matter what happens on Saturday. WIth a win they would be ahead of Oregon and Arizona St, a loss and they'd be tied with Arizona and Washington.

This is how I see the PAC-10 teams' bowl games working out...

BCS - USC
Pacific Life - Cal
Sun - Oregon St
Emerald - UCLA
Hawaii - ASU
Las Vegas - Oregon

Oregon is in the Vegas and UCLA is in the Emerald, so it looks like your prediction is correct Joe ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to College Football