Ethics Dilemma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics Dilemma

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics Dilemma

Postby suppasonic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm commish of a league,

and today I overheard one of the people in the league say that they (in 3rd place) were going to throw their next game so that the person they are playing (currently in 5th) can make it into the playoffs (top 4 make playoffs). Normally, I would be angry about this.

However, if he throws this game, the week after that is the final regular season week. I play him that week and I'm pretty sure I will beat him, good matchups, LT, and just a superior team after all. If he loses to me, he will not make the playoffs.

I'm thinking not doing anything, so he will not make the playoffs because of his foolishness.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TaDa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 pm

I don't really think that there is anything that you can do as commish. This isn't a trade or something that is vetoable. Like you mentioned, karma will probably keep him out of the playoffs.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 pm

I don't think you should do anything and let it play itself out. I'm sure I will catch some flack for this, but everyone needs to remember this is fantasy football, not real football. In real life teams always try to win to get a better playoff seeding, however, real teams will never throw a game because of momentum, pride, and the like. But with FF teams, there is no pride, momentum, or the like that will affect your players from week to week.

Every year at the end of the season, mostly the last regular season week, I look at who everyone plays and try to figure out who's in and who's out and who will play who. If I can get myself an easier playoff matchup by losing my last week, well I see nothing wrong in doing it. Of course, we have payouts for highest score each week as well as a payout for highest yearly score. But if I'm not in the running for the yearly score, I have no problem letting one week go for the greater good.

It's nothing more than a strategic move in my eyes, and really no different than benching a slightly better WR in favor of a WR who plays for the same team as your opponents starting fantasy QB. Normally, you would never make the move, but the situation dictates that it makes strategic sense.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:13 pm

i don't like it personally, but I think teams in real life (maybe no tin football, but definitely "series" sports like baseball, hoops, hockey). But I think in real life sports when you see it happen is more like when a team has clinched and let its players sit and the like. Otherwise, they try so to speak, but more like going plain vanilla, and if the team wins, they win, if not, then great.

Kind of hard to think of so many scnearios in the NFL, unless tossing a game to some spoiler means eliminating a team you would rather see eliminated.

But in a league where Mora Jr. didn't realize a tie would keep ATL playoff hopes alive, I don't think there is too much throwing games other than staying healthy, or not wanting to tip your hand (a la Indy Denver a couple of years ago where they played last game of the season and first round of the playoffs).

Personally, I thought about this last week, because my friend in one of my leagues is a skins fan and we have three weeks of playoffs. If I tossed my game, it would mean that I would play him in the first round, so we could go out and watch skins/eagles, and see the results of our matchup, which would have been a fun time. i decided against it, because now I can ride a 6 game win streak into the playoffs, and perhaps make my opponents overthink their matchups because I look really tough to beat. And not incidentally, the first week of the playoffs is my weakest, so I don't want any funny business. I want the lowest seed I can face.

I don't believe in karma when its good, but you better believe I have faith in the bad version of karma.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk