Ethics: Three Interesting Scenarios. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics: Three Interesting Scenarios.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Favre.com » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:10 pm

Great discussion so far. Just wanted to clarify that these were hypothetical.
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 am

Favre.com wrote:Great discussion so far. Just wanted to clarify that these were hypothetical.

well, congrats... you just ended the "long discussion" you were hoping for.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Timbathia » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:28 am

I agree with smack on A. I dont like leagues where you can make pickups or trades on sundays and momdays. It favors the nerd that watches the games through his computer and not the guys (like me) that like to get drunk and watch the games. Lock rosters as soon as the first game starts for the week and then Tuesday midday is a great time to unlock rosters!
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby crapshooter » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:02 am

Before the season starts set roster limits. Ours are 3 quarterbacks

Set a trade deadline of like week 9 to stop people out of it making trades
crapshooter
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:04 am

Timbathia wrote:I agree with smack on A. I dont like leagues where you can make pickups or trades on sundays and momdays. It favors the nerd that watches the games through his computer and not the guys (like me) that like to get drunk and watch the games. Lock rosters as soon as the first game starts for the week and then Tuesday midday is a great time to unlock rosters!

I'm not a commissioner, so I'm not sure how it works. If the commissioner is able to set it up so that players come off waivers on Tuesday morning automatically, when everything else is updated, I'm okay with that. If the commissioner has to physically unlock the rosters, as you suggest then the commissioner has an unfair advantage. He knows when it is going to be unlocked, so he can then go pick up what players he wants. Or, from the commissioner's perspective, he might feel that he can't pick up players for that very reason, which is unfair on him.

As far as the scenarios go:
A: IMO, immoral of the guy picking up all the QBs, but I don't think there is anything you, as the commissioner should do. If I'm the one with the injured QB, I'm going to let him (and the league) know exactly how I feel about it. Also, it isn't a very smart long term move. Yeah, maybe he gets into the playoffs because of this... especially considering that by this point it is past the trade deadline, so the other guy can't trade for a QB. But he could find himself in big trouble in the playoffs if any of his starters get hurt. And if I am the other guy, I'm dropping my injured QB to pick up his best backup... (assuming there is no other viable option at qb) and maybe I'll drop a few others if his backups are good enough... not to mention others in the league. He probably isn't getting any of those backups back.

B: No matter how much you know the person, I'm not sure how you could know its not collusion. It does seem very suspicious. I'm thinking that how well you know someone else in the league should not affect the way you run your league. From a neutral standpoint, if it is suspicious, its suspicious... doesn't matter how well you know the two involved.

C: If you are being offered the trade, I'd just refuse it and say that you believe this would ruin the integrity of the league, and ask him, as a friend, not to make such offers to others in the league.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:36 am

No. I did have that unfair burden on me the first year, but I have since figured it out. Basically all transactions lock five minutes before game time of the first game of the week. Tuesday night, late night, around 2am, the waivers run as entered by each team. Then on Wednesday morning at 9, the league automatically opens it back up to a first come first served basis.

So all teams are free at the same point to pick up players as they see fit.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Crippler » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:42 am

TaDa wrote:A) No problem with it at all. It's strategy

B) This is a horrible trade, but since you're sure that there is no collusion, it's not vetoable.

C) Collusion.

Agreed. I did the exact same thing as #1 earlier this season but with kickers instead of QBs.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby The Lung » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 am

• A: I would immediately boot an owner who did this.
    Yahoo! Fantasy Sports wrote:No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
    And,
    Yahoo! Fantasy Sports wrote:No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.
    I'm also shocked at the number of people on this thread that support such actions. You guys have very little sense of the rules of fair play and good sportsmanship.
  • B: This a horribly unbalanced trade - Tomlinson is still going to score more points than Mason and McGahee ever would. But if the last place owner honestly believes it will improve his team, and collusion cannot be proven, then the trade must be allowed to stand.
  • C: This is the very definition of collusion.
    Yahoo! Fantasy Sports wrote:All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team or its standing within the league.
    Your brother admitted he is giving up Tomlinson as a Christmas present, and receiving far less value (Cadillac) in return.
    Yahoo! Fantasy Sports wrote:No owner will engage in any action that might be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
    I would not allow this trade to go through, give the brother and cousin a stern warning, and educate them about the rules of fair play and good sportsmanship.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Previous

Return to Football Talk