Does this look shady?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does this look shady??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does this look shady??

Postby Jagator73 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:24 pm

I'm the commish in a $ league

I just noticed the guy who is currently the in first (#1 seed) is sitting Tomlinson, Boldin, McNair this week and starting S. Morris, Welker, and Campbell in their place and he's sitting Colston for TE. So I look at the playoff scenarios, and the matchup he would have if he drops to the #2 seed by losing this week is much more favorable than if he stays the #1 seed. and to top it off the favorable matchup is with his roommate who has lucked out to even make it to the playoffs

Do I call him out or email him and get onto him about throwing a game to manipulate the playoff seating, or does he have a right to start whoever he wants in his lineup?
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does this look shady??

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Jagator73 wrote:I'm the commish in a $ league

I just noticed the guy who is currently the in first (#1 seed) is sitting Tomlinson, Boldin, McNair this week and starting S. Morris, Welker, and Campbell in their place and he's sitting Colston for TE. So I look at the playoff scenarios, and the matchup he would have if he drops to the #2 seed by losing this week is much more favorable than if he stays the #1 seed. and to top it off the favorable matchup is with his roommate who has lucked out to even make it to the playoffs

Do I call him out or email him and get onto him about throwing a game to manipulate the playoff seating, or does he have a right to start whoever he wants in his lineup?

I would send him an email to let him know that you are concerned. There is no way LT2 sits in any league. If he still does not play him, I would not invite him back next year.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:36 pm

Look, you can play whoever you want, as long as you field a full roster. It's way too hard to argue that someone should play someone since it's their opinion and their roster. Unfortunately, there's little you can do.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:16 pm

Tell him he has the right to start whoever he wants.... and whoever he starts this week will start for him in the first week of the playoffs.

There's numerous thread around on intentionally tanking. It's bad. Don't be afraid to let him know that.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GP1 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 pm

seems fine to me. You're playing to win it all, not to win on any given week. if it will afford you a favorable matchup and isnt screwing another team out of the playoffs (even still, i might argue that you're playing for yourself), i see nothing wrong with it.
GP1
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:11 am

Since there's no sense in "resting the starters" as there is in the NFL, I'm a little torn. Still, if there's a strategy behind it I've got no issue. It's definitely bad Karma, but not illegal in my book.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Timbathia » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:18 am

Its a tough call

IMO

If you are doing it to gain an advantage for yourself, as it appears to be in this case, then I guess it is okay (though not ideal). The goal is to win the league after all.

If you are doing it to help someone else make playoffs, then it should fall under collusion between owners and acted upon.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:25 am

GP1 wrote:seems fine to me. You're playing to win it all, not to win on any given week. if it will afford you a favorable matchup and isnt screwing another team out of the playoffs (even still, i might argue that you're playing for yourself), i see nothing wrong with it.

I agree with GP1 and Timbathia.

You play to win it all not 1 given week. If he was doing this to get his roomate in the palyoffs then it would be unethical.

I would call him out on it and see his reasoning. If he tells you that he is playing to win it all and his best matchup is losing then you have to let him do it. If he tells you to blow off then you put his lineup in for him and don't invite him back.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby EagleFan68 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:31 am

I see no problem with it if he wants to give up a W for better playoff seeding

Where I would be concerned is if an owner intentionally tanked a game so his opponent this week, who needed a win, could get in the playoffs.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 am

You can't call him out, maybe hes thinking...hmm I think all these guys are going to have a bad week...next week I will start them when they get past it...or anything you just can't call him out.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Next

Return to Football Talk