Another tanking on purpose issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Another tanking on purpose issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another tanking on purpose issue

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:04 pm

2 teams in my one money league are in 5th and 6th place respectively and play each other this week (the last week of the regular season). 6 teams make the playoffs in this league. They both have identical 7-5 records and from the outside the game looks to be a tossup. The 7th place team who is 6-5-1 plays the last place team this week. The 7th place team is the only other team that has a shot to make the playoffs. There really looks to be no way they will lose this week.

The following information no one else in the league knows but me because it was leaked to me by my friend who owns the 5th place team.

The 5th and 6th place teams have agreed to pull their lineups at the last minute this weekend and take a 0-0 tie in so that they both secure a playoff spot at 7-5-1. The tie breaker is total points scored. Both the 5th and the 6th place teams are so far ahead of the 7th place team in total points that neither one would realistically be overtaken.

The 7th place team thinks he is a shoe in for a playoff spot via one of the teams in front of him losing but really it appears he is out in the cold and doesn't know it yet.

Strategy or just plain wrong?
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby Favre.com » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:14 pm

This is plain wrong and should not be allowed. It constitutes as collusion since two teams are working together for one. Also, all teams should field some sort of roster. If they benched their stars for bench players and prayed that their points tied thats one thing, but each team needs to field a lineup. The fact that it is collusion should make you (or whoever the commish is) act on this and not sit around much longer...
Image
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 819
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 7 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Getting Back to the Line of Scrimmage

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Agree 100%. Let them both know that collusion will result in them both forfeiting their playoff spot. They're not just "managing their team" ... they're cheating the #7 team out of his.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm not the commish but I'm the only one who knows and the commish won't have time to do anything because they aren't telling anyone.

My friend prefaced telling me by saying "promise if I tell you something you won't sell me out"? I agreed and now I won't rat him out.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Matthias wrote:Agree 100%. Let them both know that collusion will result in them both forfeiting their playoff spot. They're not just "managing their team" ... they're cheating the #7 team out of his.


I disagree - if they're stupid enough to try this I wouldn't give them advance warning about it. I'd let them set their auto-zeros lineup and then hit them with the Hammer of Justice after the fact by booting them both for collusion...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:27 pm

some people are just pathetic. be a man and play the game.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2131
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:27 pm

lmcjaho wrote: I'd let them set their auto-zeros lineup and then hit them with the Hammer of Justice after the fact by booting them both for collusion...


I don't even know if this is possible in a Yahoo league.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby onnestabe » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Azrael wrote:
lmcjaho wrote: I'd let them set their auto-zeros lineup and then hit them with the Hammer of Justice after the fact by booting them both for collusion...


I don't even know if this is possible in a Yahoo league.


I don't know if you could boot them out of the league, but I have a feeling you could change past rosters enough that they finish out of the playoffs and the two teams that finish at 7&8 end up making the playoffs.

-And that's what I think should happen if they go through with this.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 4074
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati - West Price Hill

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Azrael wrote:
lmcjaho wrote: I'd let them set their auto-zeros lineup and then hit them with the Hammer of Justice after the fact by booting them both for collusion...


I don't even know if this is possible in a Yahoo league.


Commish can go back and change the lineups for the game after the fact so he could fix this by flipping a coin and give one of the two teams the win - bumping the other from the playoffs...
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby Favre.com » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Azrael wrote:I'm not the commish but I'm the only one who knows and the commish won't have time to do anything because they aren't telling anyone.

My friend prefaced telling me by saying "promise if I tell you something you won't sell me out"? I agreed and now I won't rat him out.


Dude, what kind of leagues do you play in? People this deseperate shouldn't be allowed to be on fantast sports. If this is free then w/e, they are the retards. If this is pay and I was the commish and found out you knew about it and didn't tell anyone I would boot you as well my friend. Guilty by association. The bold part below seems quite freshman year of high school to me...

Agree 100%. Let them both know that collusion will result in them both forfeiting their playoff spot. They're not just "managing their team" ... they're cheating the #7 team out of his.


We have agreed on two topics in a row (Alexander ADP being the first), where is this headed :)?
Image
Zito is God in the Baseball Cafe
Favre.com
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 819
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 7 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Getting Back to the Line of Scrimmage

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:59 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact