Another tanking on purpose issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another tanking on purpose issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:59 pm

noren0 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with a #1 seed putting in a weaker lineup cause they would have a better matchup as the #2 seed but this is just plain bullschmitt. If this is not collusion, I don't know what is. :-t

I see people still miss the point.

Fixing a game is wrong. This can be done by one or more people. I can't make it any simpler.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:40 pm

I didn't want to get into another one of these back-and-forths, but I will make this one post and no more. This is out and out cheating, plain and simple. Yes, they're colluding, but the bigger problem is they aren't trying to win the game. Playing to win is the very basis for sports, professional, recreational or fantasy. Not playing to win destroys the spirit of the game and undermines it's very basis. Colluding to keep another team out of the playoffs is just adding cheating to more cheating.

I'm in a league with my two brothers, in which last week was the regular season. One of my brothers had clinched a playoff spot and my other brother had not. One brother was 7-5 and the other 6-6. Both had high point totals. Six teams make the playoffs in our 12-team league. If the 6-6 team had won, both teams would have been in the playoffs. The three of us always want the others to make the playoffs. It makes it more fun.

The 7-5 could have easily started an inferior lineup and let the other brother win. Both would have finished 7-6 and in the playoffs based on total points. But that would have been cheating too. The 7-5 team ended up winning and the other brother finished out of the running. Trying to lose...trying to tie...no different. Both are not trying to win and, in this case, both would have been colluding to keep another team from making the playoffs. If this isn't cheating in fantasy football, nothing is.

And please don't tell me this is "strategy" or that it should be allowed unless there was a specific rule in that specific league disallowing this specific type of behavior. Anyone who plays fantasy sports knows that isn't acceptable "strategy." It's cheating. Disagree? Then answer me this: why did the two owners decide to pull all their players from their lineups at the last second? If it is a perfectly reasonable strategy, why not do it in the middle of the week? After all, no one would have any reason to complain and the other owners couldn't do anything about it anyway. No, they knew it was cheating. That's why they were sneaky about it, even going so far as to tell Azrael "not to rat them out." Cheating, cheating, cheating. It couldn't be more obvious.
Last edited by FF Newbie on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Azrael wrote:
noren0 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with a #1 seed putting in a weaker lineup cause they would have a better matchup as the #2 seed but this is just plain bullschmitt. If this is not collusion, I don't know what is. :-t

I see people still miss the point.

Fixing a game is wrong. This can be done by one or more people. I can't make it any simpler.

Couldn't agree more. "Putting in a weaker lineup to get a better matchup" isn't strategy. It's chickens**t.

As Herm put it, "You play to win the game".

Every game.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk