Overprotection of QB's. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Overprotection of QB's.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Overprotection of QB's.

Postby MAXIMIS » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:36 am

Okay I just want to say Im sick of this baby the QB rule. I have seen 3 instances where game outcomes changed because the D player let go and the QB turned around and continued play. If they're gonna overprotect the qb why don't they get jumpy with in the grasp too? This is BS and I'm not just wanting to watch QB's get killed but I saw them calling "in the grasp" many times and way too soon last year and I'm not seeing it this year at all. Wouldn't that protect the QB too? I don't get it. Cleveland had Pitt beat, took Rothlesburger 3/4 down and let go, turned around and raised his hands to say "i didn't hurt him" and then big ben whipped one out for a 1st down and they ended up winning because of it. This week (I forget the game), someone wrapped the QB, took him straght back 4 big steps and let go -no whistle, and another 1st down because of that. Let's be fair about this. Either let the D kill the QB or start getting jumpy on in-the-grasp calls too!!!
MAXIMIS
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Overprotection of QB's.

Postby Karoz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:28 am

MAXIMIS wrote:Okay I just want to say Im sick of this baby the QB rule. I have seen 3 instances where game outcomes changed because the D player let go and the QB turned around and continued play. If they're gonna overprotect the qb why don't they get jumpy with in the grasp too? This is BS and I'm not just wanting to watch QB's get killed but I saw them calling "in the grasp" many times and way too soon last year and I'm not seeing it this year at all. Wouldn't that protect the QB too? I don't get it. Cleveland had Pitt beat, took Rothlesburger 3/4 down and let go, turned around and raised his hands to say "i didn't hurt him" and then big ben whipped one out for a 1st down and they ended up winning because of it. This week (I forget the game), someone wrapped the QB, took him straght back 4 big steps and let go -no whistle, and another 1st down because of that. Let's be fair about this. Either let the D kill the QB or start getting jumpy on in-the-grasp calls too!!!

That game you are referring to was the Titans/Giants game. That was one instance of many bad things that happened for the Giants' defense in the 4th quarter.

However, I do agree with you that the penalty has gotten somewhat out of hand. There have been several threads in the cafe regarding this very thing. I'm sure that the NFL is aware of how much of an issue this penalty has become, and I would like to think that it will be reviewed at the end of the season.

In my opinion, the only time that a defender should be penalized for roughing the QB, is if they go after the QBs knees, or if they deliberately cause helmet to helmet contact.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 am

This was talked about on local sports radio (ESPN1000 Chicago) and Salisbury was saying that since these QB roughing calls are so inconsistent, a guy like Kiwanuka who's already been burned and humiliated over this once, is going to crush the QB the next time, fine be damned. Basically said that if a defensive player is going to get penalized and fined for a hit that is ticky tacky, then he'll make sure the hit is worth the money and kill the QB.

Anyways, I'm not too concerned with the QB protection rules, but the refs need some immediate training so they call them consistently with clearly defined criteria.

We also should take note of how many other QBs get pummeled without drawing a roughing call each week. We raise a fuss over maybe one or two examples a week, but there's a whole bunch of QB smacking going on each week. Rothliesberger got pummeled by Baltimore, Pennington thought he was going to die after one hit and had trainers rush out to him, Bulger gets creamed and taken out for a series or two, Grossman gets knocked silly by NE LBs, etc, etc. These are only this week too, and only the ones I rememeber, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mrblitz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:29 pm

I also feel that the league is "over protecting", the qbs. I understand protecting them, but some of the penalties I've witnessed this year have been outrageously terrible calls.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:30 pm

i completely agree. this has become a pretty big issue. one incident in particular that got to me was in the steelers vs. saints game (i know im probably a bit biased, but hear me out), drew brees threw the ball, and aaron smith landed on his foot and pushed him back a foot or two. brees didnt even fall down, and the refs threw the flag.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby johnnyfb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Sean Salisbury said "They might as well be wearing red jerseys and playing in 7x7 leagues." I usually think he's an elitest jerk, but I couldn't agree with him more this time.

If I were a GM, I'd tell my players to pull out all the stops because the teams is paying for your fines.
johnnyfb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:12 pm

johnnyfb wrote:Sean Salisbury said "They might as well be wearing red jerseys and playing in 7x7 leagues." I usually think he's an elitest jerk, but I couldn't agree with him more this time.

If I were a GM, I'd tell my players to pull out all the stops because the teams is paying for your fines.

then what do you tell the refs when they call you for being mean to the passer? :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:32 pm

There was a play I think was in the MN game when someone on GBay got called for roughing Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck was kinda turned facing the other way and a Gbay Lineman was tackling him and his hand essentially "tapped" his helmet. They called it a hit on the head which was completely absurd.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 am

bobbing_headz wrote:There was a play I think was in the MN game when someone on GBay got called for roughing Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck was kinda turned facing the other way and a Gbay Lineman was tackling him and his hand essentially "tapped" his helmet. They called it a hit on the head which was completely absurd.

I agree with the rule that a QB can't get nailed in the head because in the act of throwing, he is unprotected, but it's gotten way out of hand. I think I saw a Dlineman breath on a QB's head and they threw a flag.

Replays showed that GB's player didn't even hit his Matt Hassy's head. It hit the his back and neck. Refs are just getting too itchy with that flag.

Like a few weeks back when Pittsburgh played NO. Aaron Smith was pushed down at Brees' feet and grabbed his ankle and they threw a flag. That week on Total Access, Mike Parariearra (or whatever) said that it was a bad call because Smith was pushed and couldn't avoid it. Ref's just need to keep their hankies in their pants.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:57 am

Ridiculousness.

In the Green Bay game, you can't try to swat the ball down because you might bump the QBs helmet. You can't tackle him because they'll call you for "driving him into the turf". If you get cut by an Olineman, you have to stand up before you rush the QB because you can't grab his legs. And you have to know whether or not the QB threw the ball even though you have your face buried in his chest.

Absolutely stupid.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting