The Five-Dollar (Ethics) Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Five-Dollar (Ethics) Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Am I scum?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes : 31

The Five-Dollar (Ethics) Question

Postby Jack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:29 pm

After the first few weeks of this season--when the Steelers' passing game wasn't looking too pretty--I paid a guy five dollars to accept Hines Ward for Plaxico Burress in a league with a five-dollar buy-in.

Collusion? Maybe--now that Hines is doing fine--poetic justice?
Thanks to madaslives911 for this graphic from his site...
MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE!
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:42 pm

how is hines doing fine? the guy just had knee surgery. to answer your question yes it's collusion.personally if i found out someone did that in a league i ran they would be out as of the moment i found out. team locked and gone for the year and period for the future.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:20 pm

Not the thing to do, bribing isn't right, you should actually try to be a manager and manage fairly. You picked him originally, it's your fault, and you should have to pay, which could mean trading him for less than that value.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Or at least offer a better bribe... :-b

Kidding

I just don't see why you would care that much for such a small upgrade?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Azrael » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:18 pm

To me it's collusion at the base.

If you would have just traded the 2 guys, no problem. Hines for Plax is a fair trade. But the fact that you had to give him money for him to think it was fair makes it wrong I think.

It's hard to see because the sum of money and the players involved are marginal but if you bump it up and say to him. I'll give you $20 and DeShaun Foster for LT, then it becomes more obvious.

It's basis of what the trade was about was wrong but the actual trade in itself is not a big deal.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Jack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:06 pm

I liked the hellfire and damnation in the first response because it showed me that this sort of thing touches a nerve in fantasy football circles. I knew I was in the wrong before I posted this, but I'm still trying to get a better sense of why. It's easy to throw a word like "collusion" out at something that seems objectionable, but what does it mean? At the time I made the offer, I figured it meant when one guy forced the other to make a move--and, so, if I appealed to his judgment instead of guilting him or threatening him somehow, I was in the clear. Is this something to do with fantasy football being a sort of "closed universe" where outside stuff shouldn't hold sway?
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 pm

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't see this as a big deal.

I would have taken the $5 to and given you Plexiglass. At least my year is paid for and I still have just as good of a chance to win it all.

I don't think you needed to do that as it was a fair trade to begin with.

My league used to charge $5 for pickups and $3 for trades in which some members would agree to pay the trade if the other guy allowed the trade to happen. So I don't really see any difference.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:16 pm

For $5 who really cares? Plus it wasn't like you were trading a Kicker for LT or something.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Jack » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Less than a third of the folk who are calling me scum have bothered to explain themselves. If I'm really that bad, don't you want to give my wayward soul a few pointers in the right ethical direction--or, at least, chip in with your thoughts on what "collusion" is?
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Jack wrote:Less than a third of the folk who are calling me scum have bothered to explain themselves. If I'm really that bad, don't you want to give my wayward soul a few pointers in the right ethical direction--or, at least, chip in with your thoughts on what "collusion" is?

People who voted Scum don't really care. They just want to make themselves think they are ethically perfect.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk