Will Thursday's night game be on regular TV or not - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Will Thursday's night game be on regular TV or not

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby drinklime » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:47 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Yea, the game should be on NFL Network here in the States, but the problem is, the NFL and cable companies are fighting over the fee the NFL wants to charge for NFL Network. So lots of people don't even get NFL Network.

I didn't want to pay for the premium cable package because I don't watch TV all that much, so no NFL Network for me.

dont let the cable companies fool you, they are the ones causing trouble. For example Brighthouse will only agree to add on the NFL Network if they are allowed to charge an extra fee (like a premium channel), but the NFL network refuses. NFL says it has to be included in the standard line-up (like any normal channel) but it is the CABLE companies that want to make it premium.

I cancelled brighthouse and got Verizon FIOS installed yesterday. They basically give you NFL Network and NFL Network HD for the standard fee (cheaper than brighthouse) and it is FANTASTIC.
drinklime
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:31 pm

But I get NFL Network (don't have to pay extra for it) and the game wasn't on it! Why??

(Luckily I got it on another sports channel)
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:25 pm

drinklime wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:Yea, the game should be on NFL Network here in the States, but the problem is, the NFL and cable companies are fighting over the fee the NFL wants to charge for NFL Network. So lots of people don't even get NFL Network.

I didn't want to pay for the premium cable package because I don't watch TV all that much, so no NFL Network for me.

dont let the cable companies fool you, they are the ones causing trouble. For example Brighthouse will only agree to add on the NFL Network if they are allowed to charge an extra fee (like a premium channel), but the NFL network refuses. NFL says it has to be included in the standard line-up (like any normal channel) but it is the CABLE companies that want to make it premium.

I cancelled brighthouse and got Verizon FIOS installed yesterday. They basically give you NFL Network and NFL Network HD for the standard fee (cheaper than brighthouse) and it is FANTASTIC.

Both sides are at fault to some degree, but it's the NFL that is the roadblock here. The NFL is asking for a much higher fee than other standard cable channels while asking for it to be included in the basic package at the same time. NFL Network being part of the premium package is nothing new in most areas. It's the higher fee that the NFL is demanding that is causing the cable companies to either not offer it or yank games.

Only options in my area is Comcast or satelite. And there's some kind of political thing going on around here trying to attract some competition against Comcast since they're virtually a monopoly on cable service here.

But I'm really jealous of you for getting FIOS. I think I read that Verizon only has that available in certain areas of Cali and Florida right now. It would be a VERY long time before anything like that is available in the Chicago area I'm guessing.

:edit:
Here's a link from NFL Network that is blatant propaganda, LOL. It explains a lot of stuff. http://www.iwantnflnetwork.com/
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby drinklime » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 am

yea but considering the prices that cable companies charge they have no reason to charge even more for nfl network. from what i heard espn are the most expensive channels and brighthouse keeps tacking them on... but then they charge you extra for ESPN HD... well now i have ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL Network HD for no extra charge

heheheheh im giddy

seriously i was thinking about moving but ill be damned if i move somewhere i cant get fios. its that nice.
drinklime
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dgan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:32 am

Yeah, it comes down to this: Will the cable company make more money by eating the cost and making it standard, or make more money by refusing to add it (or add it at a premium) and lose customers to satellite.

NFL is banking on the fact the cable companies will lose tons of customers unless they suck it up and eat the cost themselves. You really can't fault either side from a business standpoint, in my opinion - the NFL is challenging the cable "monopoly", and the cable company must choose between retaining customers and increasing revenue, or simply maintaining their profit margin while probably costing themselves revenue. We'll see what happens.

The cable companies argue that if they add it to basic, that they'll have to increase everyone's rates, including those who won't watch it. But of course they added to my basic Oxygen, TLC, WE, the spanish channel, OLN, Lifetime, MTV2, and National Geographic - none of which I watch - yet, they have no problem increasing my rate every few months to offer me that wonderful programming.

The cable companies increase rates BEFORE they add new channels, basically so they can afford to do so. Not AFTER they've added them. They already have the profit margin to add NFL Network, but then they won't be able to add MTV for Seniors, The Insect Network, and the Midget Channel, so they have that decision to make. So that argument is completely bogus - it is just a matter of time before they give in.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting