Baldinger analysis of M. Vick on NFL.com - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Baldinger analysis of M. Vick on NFL.com

Moderator: Football Moderators

Baldinger analysis of M. Vick on NFL.com

Postby deacon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Not that he hasn't been one of the bashers in the past but this is a pretty good synopsis of what the real problem is in Atlanta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4aUWrLAX3U

Eaglesfan I hope you are watching!
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:13 pm

I saw that...and it's funny he would pick on the WRs exculsively. Yes, ATL's WRs drop a lot of passes, but a lot of Vick's problems also come from his accuracy. His passes regularly sail high or skips off the turf. BB should go back and look at more tape, he'll have a lot more examples of inaccurate throws than WR drops. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Munboy wrote:I saw that...and it's funny he would pick on the WRs exculsively. Yes, ATL's WRs drop a lot of passes, but a lot of Vick's problems also come from his accuracy. His passes regularly sail high or skips off the turf. BB should go back and look at more tape, he'll have a lot more examples of inaccurate throws than WR drops. ;-D

Inaccurate throws are something that you have to live with when Mike Vick is your QB. You are sacrificing a certain degree of throwing consistency in exchance for his ground game. I could live with that..but these are NFL WR's we are talking about here. They have been dropping balls ALL season..and there is really no excuse for it. How is Vick supposed to get an rhythm going on his offensive drives when Warrick Dunn consistently gets stuffed and his WR's drop balls?
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 pm

I've said this before.....but I think I would like to see the Atlanta WRs play with a different QB with a better arm than Vick to see if perhaps some or possibly most of the problems with dropped passes stem from the way Vick throws the ball. It just brings back Matt Hasselbeck a few years ago to mind when all of his WRs would drop plenty of passes each year. A lot of that during that time had to do with the way Hass was throwing the ball. Not sure if this is wrong or right in this case, but it should definitely be taken into consideration as a possibility.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PuntinFool » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:01 pm

The big suits for the Falcons need to abduct Alge Crumpler, bring him to Russia, clone him 5 times, then bring them all back for Week 15. Vick can get it to six Crumplers, I'm positive.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deacon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Munboy wrote:I saw that...and it's funny he would pick on the WRs exculsively. Yes, ATL's WRs drop a lot of passes, but a lot of Vick's problems also come from his accuracy. His passes regularly sail high or skips off the turf. BB should go back and look at more tape, he'll have a lot more examples of inaccurate throws than WR drops. ;-D

It is funny but not because he is showing what the real problem is but that haters always find a reason to fault Vick. It's not just the drops but the route running and not fighting for the ball.

Now I am not going to ever say Vick is the most accurate passer but watching every game I can say that his accuracy is not what is causing the demise of the offense. Everyone makes it seem like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc. never overthrow or underthrow receivers. Sure Vick has bad technique and sails some passes but it is no worse than other QBs. And I can go on record as saying that I have never seen Vick skip a pass off the turf. Sail them high, yes!

But the problem compounds itself. If Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison routinely dropped passes what do you think Payton's psyche would be like. Do you think he would trust them in crucial situations? Don't you think he would start trying to be more precise instead of just throwing it and letting the receiver go get it.

Can you imagine how frustrating it would get as a QB to get sacked and knocked around all game and then deliver a perfect pass in a clutch situation and have it dropped?
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Munboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 pm

PuntinFool wrote:The big suits for the Falcons need to abduct Alge Crumpler, bring him to Russia, clone him 5 times, then bring them all back for Week 15. Vick can get it to six Crumplers, I'm positive.

In the piece, BB points out a play where Crumpler drops a pass in the end zone. :*)
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheDiplomats » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:22 pm

mattb47 wrote:I've said this before.....but I think I would like to see the Atlanta WRs play with a different QB with a better arm than Vick to see if perhaps some or possibly most of the problems with dropped passes stem from the way Vick throws the ball. It just brings back Matt Hasselbeck a few years ago to mind when all of his WRs would drop plenty of passes each year. A lot of that during that time had to do with the way Hass was throwing the ball. Not sure if this is wrong or right in this case, but it should definitely be taken into consideration as a possibility.

Vick does throw the ball pretty hard alot of the time. Many of his passes are bullets..but even then, his WRs practice with him all week and have no excuse to be dropping the balls.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Munboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:26 pm

deacon wrote:

It is funny but not because he is showing what the real problem is but that haters always find a reason to fault Vick. It's not just the drops but the route running and not fighting for the ball.

Now I am not going to ever say Vick is the most accurate passer but watching every game I can say that his accuracy is not what is causing the demise of the offense. Everyone makes it seem like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc. never overthrow or underthrow receivers. Sure Vick has bad technique and sails some passes but it is no worse than other QBs. And I can go on record as saying that I have never seen Vick skip a pass off the turf. Sail them high, yes!

But the problem compounds itself. If Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison routinely dropped passes what do you think Payton's psyche would be like. Do you think he would trust them in crucial situations? Don't you think he would start trying to be more precise instead of just throwing it and letting the receiver go get it.

Can you imagine how frustrating it would get as a QB to get sacked and knocked around all game and then deliver a perfect pass in a clutch situation and have it dropped?

Yeah I understand that WR drops are a problem, but I was pointing out the fact that there are WAY more problems than just holding onto the ball.

Here are just some of the problems, in no particular order.

1. Vick is an athlete, no doubt about it. But his decision making is slow.
2. His passes sail regularly and he over compensates causing his passing to skip into the WR's hands.
3. WR drops.
4. Oline can't protect
5. Atlanta's offensive scheme is west coast which Vick has either not learned to run, or refuses to learn. If you'll notice, all those dropped passes were long passes, which isn't west coast.
6. Because of all of the above, defenses do not respect the pass and concentrate on stopping the run.

Not to mention, Atlanta's D sucks. The falcon's problems go soooooo far beyond dropped passes and to single out the receivers as the reason for Vick's play is just wrong.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deacon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:31 pm

mattb47 wrote:I've said this before.....but I think I would like to see the Atlanta WRs play with a different QB with a better arm than Vick to see if perhaps some or possibly most of the problems with dropped passes stem from the way Vick throws the ball. It just brings back Matt Hasselbeck a few years ago to mind when all of his WRs would drop plenty of passes each year. A lot of that during that time had to do with the way Hass was throwing the ball. Not sure if this is wrong or right in this case, but it should definitely be taken into consideration as a possibility.

Not even sure what this statement means. What constitutes a 'better arm'? Is it arm strength? If so Vick has the strongest arm in the league. And what exactly does ' the way Vick throws the ball' mean. Because he is left handed the ball rotates in the opposite direction. Is that what is wrong with the 'way he throws the ball'?

Are you saying that when a ball travels 20, 30, or 40 or more yards in the air and comes down and hits someone squarely in both hands that it matters how it was thrown?

Does that mean that if a punt returning drops a punt it was because of the way the ball came off the punters foot?
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk