Why field an onside kickoff? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why field an onside kickoff?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why field an onside kickoff?

Postby benjapage » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:51 am

a thought occurred to me as i watched the end of the game last night:

why would the receiving team bother fielding an onside kickoff?

in a normal kickoff, if the kicking team touches the ball first, the ball is down and the possession goes to the receiving team.

does this rule change during an onside kick? if not, why not get all the receiving players out of the way?

i presume the rules must be different, but how are they negotiated? i've seen fake onside kickoffs, so...

just wondering.

b
brees (garrard, cutler)
LT2, Drew (turner, KJ, griffith)
holt, housh, rod smith (r.moss)
v.davis (stevens)
gould
patriots (bengals)
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby climbmda71 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:58 am

Actually, on punts if the kicking team touches the ball first it is down at that spot, not on kickoffs.

A kickoff (any kickoff) is a live, and free, ball as soon as it goes 10 yards. If you don't field it, the kicking team can grab it, and take posession.

The receiving team never has to touch the ball for the kicking team to field it.
Some people are like slinkies... They don't really do anything, yet you can't help but smile when they tumble down the stairs.
climbmda71
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:01 am

what? :-B O:-)

are you freaking kidding me? all these years....and it's that simple? dang, i feel slow.

i'll go back into my corner, now.

pfff...

b
brees (garrard, cutler)
LT2, Drew (turner, KJ, griffith)
holt, housh, rod smith (r.moss)
v.davis (stevens)
gould
patriots (bengals)
benjapage
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: Why field an onside kickoff?

Postby skinsfan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:18 am

benjapage wrote:a thought occurred to me as i watched the end of the game last night:

why would the receiving team bother fielding an onside kickoff?

in a normal kickoff, if the kicking team touches the ball first, the ball is down and the possession goes to the receiving team.

does this rule change during an onside kick? if not, why not get all the receiving players out of the way?

i presume the rules must be different, but how are they negotiated? i've seen fake onside kickoffs, so...

just wondering.

b

The XFL made a big deal about how on kickoffs anyone could take the ball, but this has always been an NFL rule. I learned this when playing Madden '02 I think: A kick went over my player's head and he let it bounce for the touchback. But the ball took a bizarre bounce in the endzone and the other team recovered for the touchdown.

Executing this play consistently might be a good reason to have Gatlin on your team...
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:42 am

benjapage wrote:what? :-B O:-)

are you freaking kidding me? all these years....and it's that simple? dang, i feel slow.

Yah. It's that simple.

The only stipulation is that the kickoff has to travel at least 10 yards in the air. Otherwise it has to be rekicked.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:25 am

Matthias wrote:
benjapage wrote:what? :-B O:-)

Yah. It's that simple.

The only stipulation is that the kickoff has to travel at least 10 yards. Otherwise it has to be rekicked.

Fixed that for you. "In the air" is not a stipulation.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:41 am

oh, right. because the onsides are kicked, spiked into the ground to bounce.

i should never open my mouth or type anything before i have my second cup of coffee.

thanks for the correction.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:48 am

I wouldn't use madden for rules though. because of that game you get a bunch of idiot eagles fans (and elsewhere I imagine) wondering why if the eagles win the coin toss, they don't choose to kick...

im really surprised some team hasn't found an awesome way to get the onside kick back enough to have it be a viable strategy.

I'd love to see some renegade team that goes for this a lot, and goes for fourth down all the time once past the 50.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am

eaglesrule wrote:im really surprised some team hasn't found an awesome way to get the onside kick back enough to have it be a viable strategy.

There's a few reasons why it's hard to recover:

1. The receiving team puts all of their "hands" players there while the kicking team needs hands players and some "blow-up-the-wedge-type" guys.
2. Without being offsides, it's very hard for the kicking team to touch the ball first. They really need it to ricochet off a receiving team guy.
3. There's a lot of chance. The kicker needs to control the bounce perfectly, the receiving team has to bobble it, and the kicking team needs to be where the ball bounces. A lot of luck is involved.
4. If a team starts doing a few onside kicks in regular formation, it might work once or twice. Later, teams will be prepared. Perpetual onside kicks will not work.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:25 pm

it is just very difficult to kick the ball such that it bounces very high and does not go very far or out of bounds.

In NFL Blitz it is a very sound stategy to kick onside everytime because you get about 50% and that game it is so easy to make big plays, the field length does not matter because no one can control the clock and dink and dunk on you.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk