Why field an onside kickoff? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why field an onside kickoff?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:53 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:im really surprised some team hasn't found an awesome way to get the onside kick back enough to have it be a viable strategy.

There's a few reasons why it's hard to recover:

1. The receiving team puts all of their "hands" players there while the kicking team needs hands players and some "blow-up-the-wedge-type" guys.
2. Without being offsides, it's very hard for the kicking team to touch the ball first. They really need it to ricochet off a receiving team guy.
3. There's a lot of chance. The kicker needs to control the bounce perfectly, the receiving team has to bobble it, and the kicking team needs to be where the ball bounces. A lot of luck is involved.
4. If a team starts doing a few onside kicks in regular formation, it might work once or twice. Later, teams will be prepared. Perpetual onside kicks will not work.

But I did it in madden! just kidding.

actually, you don't HAVE to kick it down. I realize of course it won't happen. But you would figure some kicker somewhere would figure out some looping kick or something. plus, what would happen if you did it from regular formations, and interspersed real kickoffs with onsides? do it enough to keep em guessing.

ahh I was just daydreaming anyway.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:52 pm

What if there was a kicker who did nothing but work on onside kicks and kickoffs? If you could get really good at that you would have a job in the NFL as long as you wanted it I bet.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 pm

Actually players can recover punts as well, but they have to be behind the punter when the ball is kicked. That is also why kickoffs are live, because every player is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Actually players can recover punts as well, but they have to be behind the punter when the ball is kicked. That is also why kickoffs are live, because every player is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked.

Wow. I've never heard that. Learn something every day.

Why don't teams just drop one guy back then, to make sure that the punt is fielded and give them a chance to clock someone and recover a loose ball?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:20 pm

The best tactic for recovering an onside kick, is for the kicking team to get AHEAD of the ball and take out the receiving "hands team" before the ball gets there. Kicking team is 15 yards deep making blocks, and then they turn around and catch the ball.

The only problem is getting that perfect kick that bounces up in the air long enough to allow them to get down the field 15 yards.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:23 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Actually players can recover punts as well, but they have to be behind the punter when the ball is kicked. That is also why kickoffs are live, because every player is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked.

Can you provide a rule for this?

The rule on the NFL site says pretty clearly: "Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching).
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Why field an onside kickoff?

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:32 pm

skinsfan wrote:
benjapage wrote:a thought occurred to me as i watched the end of the game last night:

why would the receiving team bother fielding an onside kickoff?

in a normal kickoff, if the kicking team touches the ball first, the ball is down and the possession goes to the receiving team.

does this rule change during an onside kick? if not, why not get all the receiving players out of the way?

i presume the rules must be different, but how are they negotiated? i've seen fake onside kickoffs, so...

just wondering.

b

The XFL made a big deal about how on kickoffs anyone could take the ball, but this has always been an NFL rule. I learned this when playing Madden '02 I think: A kick went over my player's head and he let it bounce for the touchback. But the ball took a bizarre bounce in the endzone and the other team recovered for the touchdown.

Executing this play consistently might be a good reason to have Gatlin on your team...

If his head doesn't get takem off before he gets to the ball
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:56 pm

As far as I know, you could fair catch an onside kick as long as the kicker doesn't bounce it. I am always surprised that I don't see teams doing that.
What do these years have in common?
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1996.
Steve-o
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ampant » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:07 pm

Steve-o wrote:What do these years have in common?
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1996.

They all start with 19..?
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:11 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:

Can you provide a rule for this?

The rule on the NFL site says pretty clearly: "Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching).

Hmm you may be right. The only thing I saw in the rules is pretty vaque.

5. The kicking team may never advance its own kick even though legal recovery is made beyond the line of scrimmage. Possession only.

It seems to me that this rule implies that legal recovery can be made past the line of scrimmage, but not advanced.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk