Why field an onside kickoff? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why field an onside kickoff?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:09 pm

Matthias wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Actually players can recover punts as well, but they have to be behind the punter when the ball is kicked. That is also why kickoffs are live, because every player is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked.

Wow. I've never heard that. Learn something every day.

Why don't teams just drop one guy back then, to make sure that the punt is fielded and give them a chance to clock someone and recover a loose ball?

Probably because they think there's a better chance of converting a 4th down try.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:22 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
5. The kicking team may never advance its own kick even though legal recovery is made beyond the line of scrimmage. Possession only.

It seems to me that this rule implies that legal recovery can be made past the line of scrimmage, but not advanced.

I'm pretty sure this refers to the case of a muffed kick (kickoff or punt). If the ball hits but is never possessed by a player of the receiving team, the kicking team can recover possession of the ball but not advance the ball further than the spot of the recovery.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:44 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Actually players can recover punts as well, but they have to be behind the punter when the ball is kicked. That is also why kickoffs are live, because every player is behind the kicker when the ball is kicked.

Can you provide a rule for this?

The rule on the NFL site says pretty clearly: "Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching).

Hmm you may be right. The only thing I saw in the rules is pretty vaque.

5. The kicking team may never advance its own kick even though legal recovery is made beyond the line of scrimmage. Possession only.

It seems to me that this rule implies that legal recovery can be made past the line of scrimmage, but not advanced.

Portisfan - are you sure you were not originally quoting a CFL rule? Because I believe the ball is live for anyone behind the punter in the CFL - although I can't swear to it...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby MasterO » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:53 am

Kensat30 Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best tactic for recovering an onside kick, is for the kicking team to get AHEAD of the ball and take out the receiving "hands team" before the ball gets there. Kicking team is 15 yards deep making blocks, and then they turn around and catch the ball.

The only problem is getting that perfect kick that bounces up in the air long enough to allow them to get down the field 15 yards.

Buffalo almost pulled this off against SD with a slow rolling dribbler of a kick, not a big bouncer. A buffalo player accidently hit the ball after 8 or 9 yards with his foot while taking out a SD player. If he hadnt hit the ball it would have worked with the slow roller.
MasterO
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:06 am

If that is true, why wouldn't you just teach your QB to punt? Then you could line up a RB behind the QB, have the RB run a fly pattern, then have the QB punt it on 3rd and very long, and hope the RB can get downfield and recover it. If the protection is good enough, it has a decent chance of working.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:55 pm

I just spoke to one of my co-workers who used to be an official for high school games, and he had never heard of a punt being recoverable by the kicking team in any situation (except for when the receiving team touches it, of course).

Now, that's not to say it isn't true, because the NCAA rules (that's what Texas high schools play by) are vastly different from NFL rules, and the rule book is about two inches thick, with odd terminology that is not used by announcers and players.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 pm

For the ones that are saying to kick the ball in the air for the onside kick, the rule of a fair catch can come in order. If one of the recieving teams players(even on the first line) waves for the fair catch(if it hadn't hit the ground yet) and has the chance to actually catch it they can't be hit. So that's why an onside kick popped into the air won't work if the recieving players are smart enough(and they are taught that in practice). Now if it's that little pooch kick and they don't signal, well they're neck will be torn off....
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby citti34 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:34 am

I've always wondered what would happen if a punter punted the ball right at a player on the receiving team. I'm talking like so close where it would be hard to catch the ball.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Frank Sinatra
citti34
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:50 am

Well, if the punt hits a guy behind the line of scrimmage, it is considered a block, so he couldn't punt it right into the lineman. He'd have to kick it at one of the guys blocking the gunners, and it'd probably be pretty hard to him (it'd have to be a low liner right at his head, and would have a pretty good chance of getting blocked anyways). Wouldn't be worth the risk.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:15 pm

I vaguely remember the punter being able to recover his own kick. Not sure if it's something I dreamed up or not....but I really do remember something like that.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk