Spot Starting Defenses - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Spot Starting Defenses

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:39 pm

Spot starting a defense isn't necessary if you drafted Chicago or Baltimore. Especially Chicago, since I've seen them drafted anywhere from the low 1st round to the 5th round.

In a couple of my leagues, I've gone to spot starting with Miami and KC, but I've had it pretty good most of the year rotating Jax, SD, and Pitt in various leagues.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gnu314 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:25 pm

91 points in one of my leagues for around 16th or so, pretty terrible. I had really bad luck at the start of the season though, the last few weeks my WW plays have been pretty solid.

With different defenses and slightly different scoring in another league, 146 for 3rd behind chi and balt.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eman » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:58 pm

I managed to pull the Chicago D in the 6th round, much better than having to stress about spotstarting if you ask me. On the other hand, I have been spot starting QB's, and doing quite poorly at that. I average somewhere around 12 points/week at QB. :-t
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deacon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:52 pm

I drafted Balt D and picked up Denver in week 4 off WW. Totaling up my D points gives me 210 for the year so far. Balt by itself only has 180. So far I have managed to pick the right D each week and have maximized my D scoring!

I think its time to drop Denver now though as they have played all of their patsies for the year and look for another team with favorable matchups.
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bclay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:10 pm

I've played about 7-8 different defenses so far this year. My total points are currently ranked 3rd, behind CHI and BALT and just in front on MINN and NE.

I"d rather do this than draft Chicago 6 rounds before anybody else drafts a defense!
bclay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bclay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:11 pm

I've played about 7-8 different defenses so far this year. My total points are currently ranked 3rd, behind CHI and BALT and just in front on MINN and NE.

I"d rather do this than draft Chicago 6 rounds before anybody else drafts a defense!
bclay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SDubya » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:58 am

eman wrote:I managed to pull the Chicago D in the 6th round, much better than having to stress about spotstarting if you ask me. On the other hand, I have been spot starting QB's, and doing quite poorly at that. I average somewhere around 12 points/week at QB. :-t

I'd rather load up on RB and WR while grabbing an undervalued QB like Bulger or Brees in the 6th, than waste a pick on a defence. Others have proven in this thread that you can do quite well spot starting defences.
SDubya
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:50 am

Sport starting can be a great option! In one of my leagues, we have free unlimited WW transactions. It's great for spot starting a Defense.

In another league, though, we have a $5 per transaction fee. So spot starting a Defense can get pretty costly!
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:54 pm

where does plindsey put his rankings? i'm accustomed to getting a high-end defense and not spot starting, so i've never bothered to look at what he posts. maybe next year i'll try it....

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eman » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:27 pm

SDubya wrote:
eman wrote:I managed to pull the Chicago D in the 6th round, much better than having to stress about spotstarting if you ask me. On the other hand, I have been spot starting QB's, and doing quite poorly at that. I average somewhere around 12 points/week at QB. :-t

I'd rather load up on RB and WR while grabbing an undervalued QB like Bulger or Brees in the 6th, than waste a pick on a defence. Others have proven in this thread that you can do quite well spot starting defences.

Easy to say in retrospect.....I could have also spent that pick on other "undervalued" QB's like Trent Green or Kurt Warner....and in that case my pick would have been wasted...
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk