People with experience in stocks, i need your help! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

People with experience in stocks, i need your help!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Just look at some business magazines like Forbes or Fortune and look for articles about some new technology coming out in the biotech market. Then buy that company's stock and sell when the buzz reaches it's apex.

High risk tactic, especially if real money was involved, but you generally want to find a company who is just about to come out with something new because that news should drive stock prices up through the roof if it gets enough press and is revolutionary enough.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby confused_jake » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:03 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Just look at some business magazines like Forbes or Fortune and look for articles about some new technology coming out in the biotech market. Then buy that company's stock and sell when the buzz reaches it's apex.

High risk tactic, especially if real money was involved, but you generally want to find a company who is just about to come out with something new because that news should drive stock prices up through the roof if it gets enough press and is revolutionary enough.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing about finding a company with a big product coming out soon. Thats why i wished we had done this last month like my friends econ class. I could have bought sony and nintendo and watched it skyrocket.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby confused_jake » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:25 pm

One quick question. What company would the tickle me elmo be for? its going to be huge soon with xmas coming up.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:46 pm

confused_jake wrote:One quick question. What company would the tickle me elmo be for? its going to be huge soon with xmas coming up.

I'm pretty sure the Google server is down.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Leber » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:26 pm

confused_jake wrote:One quick question. What company would the tickle me elmo be for? its going to be huge soon with xmas coming up.

from wikipedia...
Tickle Me Elmo is a childrens' toy from Tyco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickle_Me_Elmo
Leber
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

my

Postby DbacksAllTheWay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:27 pm

If you still need some help, i could ask my dad when he gets home for some tips, he won an award for best stock picking a few years back and handles all of my money.
DbacksAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:42 am

I posted a thread a while back about stocks if you want to check it out. ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Re: People with experience in stocks, i need your help!

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:37 pm

Here is a tip if you want to "cheat".

I did this back in High School when I had the same project. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but here is the jist.

Basically I would wake up about 10 minutes before the stock market opened and buy up all the "hot" stocks that were expected to rise when the market opened based on positive news in the after hours market. Then when the market open you sell it for a bigtime profit.

I think this may have been possible for me due to a 5 minutes delay in the updating of stock prices. Because it cost money for real-time updates back then. Or maybe it was because we could purchase stocks in after market hours based on what they closed at the day before. Anyways, it is really easy to make a killing if you read the news and are able buy and sell right before and after the stock market opens.

Again, I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I ended up winning by a lot. Turned $100,000 into like $300,000 in a few weeks. I lost money on one or two "hot" stocks that ended up tanking even after positive news. So it is not foolproof.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to General Talk