USC Loses. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

USC Loses.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:49 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Michigan better get in- I don't think Florida's win was nearly convincing enough- the problem is that Urban Meyer and his MFing type A personality is going to lobby to the voters for them to get in, while Lloyd Carr is just going to wait it out. Florida has had so many unimpressive wins though, that I can't see why they should get in over Michigan.


I am a UCLA first and FL second fan due to relatives living there. I think Ohio would beat the Gators pretty bad if they made it.

But now Mich vs Ohio St on neutral ground could be interesting. They say home field is worth 3 points which I believe was the margin between them in the first game.


Exactly what I was going to say bout homefield. Let them play on a neutral field, and lets see what happens.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby Kilroy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:51 pm

In my opinion if you don't win your conference you've got no business playing for the national championship and Florida, as champion of the toughest conference in the country, should get the nod.

That said, if Michigan does get the invite it will be sweet to see their hopes and dreams crushed twice by the Buckeyes in the same season.

:-D
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby aldridg6in » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:52 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Michigan better get in- I don't think Florida's win was nearly convincing enough- the problem is that Urban Meyer and his MFing type A personality is going to lobby to the voters for them to get in, while Lloyd Carr is just going to wait it out. Florida has had so many unimpressive wins though, that I can't see why they should get in over Michigan.


I could really care less who gets in, but if you look at Michigan they don't really have any more impressive wins than Florida. Plus, Florida's schedule was harder. They showed a graphic during the game tonight that the combined W/L % of Florida's opponents was the highest of any in the nation. Either way the championship will be a good game, but if it were up to me I'd be voting Florida right now. I think they've earned it.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 889
Joined: 22 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Faith, NC

Postby dgan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Both teams have a valid argument. The bottom line is that there is no clear cut #2.

My only problem with Florida is that the whole SEC thing is out of whack. While I believe they are the best conference, that doesn't mean the the winner of that conference is one of the top teams in the nation. I mean, you have all those ranked teams to begin with, then they all beat each other so they all have the "top 25 wins" stat on their resume. But you watch the games themselves, and my opinion is that they all play like top 10 teams - not like top 5 teams.

So, if your criteria is the best two teams in the nation go to the NC, I don't know how you vote for Florida. But if your criteria is that the 2 best resumes go, then you could. I think that is the argument. Florida's resume is better, but are they the better team?

Of course, as someone without a college degree, I have a natural tendency to think that a strong resume has almost nothing to do with how good you are at what you do. Watch someone do the job and see how well they do it and that will tell you more than numbers and names on a piece of paper - reward people for how good they are, not for how much fluff they can put on their resume.

But all that isn't what I was going to say...I just got off track there. What I wanted to say is how many voters are going to vote differently because they know what the computers are going to do? Michigan can finish #2 in the polls and the computers could still drop them to #3, putting Florida in the NC. Is this going to affect how people vote? I don't see how it couldn't. And is that REALLY what the BCS was intended to do? To have voters altering their votes to try to manipulate the computers?
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:58 pm

Actually, with your last point, I think it will be the other way around if anything- most likely Michigan will win the computers, because they had the 3rd toughest scheduale in college football, gave the #7 team in the country their only loss, and have had their own only loss by 3 to the #1 team in the country away.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:29 am

Dgan's last paragraph is what gets me wondering about the integrity of the polls.

First, Michigan shouldnt have kept the no.2 ranking based on the fact that no one before has ever kept the no.2 ranking after being beaten. This is a screw up by the voters.

Second, I thought USC shouldve been no.2 after the Michigan loss. It struck me as odd that it took a win over a team Michigan had already destroyed, while Michigan was idle, to get the pollsters to rank USC ahead of Michigan. I thought if voters thought USC was the better team, they should ranked them accordingly the week prior. This is now a second screw up by the voters and one has to start wondering about the integrity of the voters.

Now, If FLA gets moved up passed Michigan, again, after Michigan has sat idle, the BCS needs to take the human polls and flush them. This is not a slight against FLA. But how can you have seen something from FLA, who was at #4 while Michigan was at #2 two weeks ago, that would make one think that now Michigan has to fall below FLA? If FLA was better than Michigan after FLA squeaked by South Carolina and Michigan lost to OSU, then why werent they ranked as such? OK, another week goes by, Michigan sits idle while FLA whoops Western Carolina. Michigan is still ahead of FLA in the polls. Now Michigan sits idle again and FLA beats Arkansas. So now you've been convinced that somehow FLA is now better than Michigan? Sorry, aint buyin it. If FLA moves ahead of Michigan, it is completing FRAUDULENT, regardless of whether you as a fan feel that FLA is better than Michigan, and visa versa.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3936
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:16 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:Dgan's last paragraph is what gets me wondering about the integrity of the polls.

First, Michigan shouldnt have kept the no.2 ranking based on the fact that no one before has ever kept the no.2 ranking after being beaten. This is a screw up by the voters.

Second, I thought USC shouldve been no.2 after the Michigan loss. It struck me as odd that it took a win over a team Michigan had already destroyed, while Michigan was idle, to get the pollsters to rank USC ahead of Michigan. I thought if voters thought USC was the better team, they should ranked them accordingly the week prior. This is now a second screw up by the voters and one has to start wondering about the integrity of the voters.

Now, If FLA gets moved up passed Michigan, again, after Michigan has sat idle, the BCS needs to take the human polls and flush them. This is not a slight against FLA. But how can you have seen something from FLA, who was at #4 while Michigan was at #2 two weeks ago, that would make one think that now Michigan has to fall below FLA? If FLA was better than Michigan after FLA squeaked by South Carolina and Michigan lost to OSU, then why werent they ranked as such? OK, another week goes by, Michigan sits idle while FLA whoops Western Carolina. Michigan is still ahead of FLA in the polls. Now Michigan sits idle again and FLA beats Arkansas. So now you've been convinced that somehow FLA is now better than Michigan? Sorry, aint buyin it. If FLA moves ahead of Michigan, it is completing FRAUDULENT, regardless of whether you as a fan feel that FLA is better than Michigan, and visa versa.


Not sure I'm following you here. Most people thought Arkansas was going to walk all over Florida, so UF essentially dominating 54 minutes of that game means that in those people's eyes, Florida is a lot better than they thought they were. And while I agree Michigan probably should've dropped after they lost, same kind of thing with USC. I could see the voters thinking "well Michigan still beat ND by a ton, no way USC is that good." And then "oh wait, they did it too and their other wins are more impressive also."

And I'm so tired of hearing about how close the OSU/Michigan game was (not referring to your post hskr). I'm willing to bet that if you asked people whether the OSU/Michigan game of UF/Auburn game was closer 90% of the people out there would say OSU/Michigan, even though to anyone that watched both games that's not even an argument that can be brought up.

The Big 10 as a whole has just irked the hell outta me with their awful scheduling this year. No conference championship game and Wisconsin and OSU don't even play each other. Wasn't it just a year or two ago that people were saying Iowa would win the Big 10 because they didn't have OSU or Michigan on the schedule that year? Honestly at this point even as a UF fan I could care less about the whole "Michigan didn't even win their conference" argument because the Big 10 championship is a total farce half the time. I'd be willing to wager that the majority of the time most people that aren't Big 10 fans don't even know who won the Big 10 from year to year. They always seem to be missing a crucial game between the teams at the top. If any conference needs to get off their butts and put together a conference championship game it's them, yet they sit idly by.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Postby eman » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:40 am

If the Big 10 had a championship game we could have very easily had a triple OSU-Mich rematch. Mich OSU would have been playing for the champ., and if Mich won, there would be no way you could say either was worse than Florida. So for this year's sake we should be thankful the Big 10 was poorly scheduled. :)
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1392
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SoCal

Postby dgan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:21 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Actually, with your last point, I think it will be the other way around if anything- most likely Michigan will win the computers, because they had the 3rd toughest scheduale in college football, gave the #7 team in the country their only loss, and have had their own only loss by 3 to the #1 team in the country away.


Every BCS analyst (how do you get that job anyway?) I've heard tonight said Florida was already ahead of Michigan in the computers - it was only the spread in the human polls keeping them down. They don't need a majority of #2 votes, just enough so that it doesn't override the computers.

Anyway, that's what I heard, so that's what I was basing that off of. Honestly, though, who knows...
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby stomperrob » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:11 am

This is prob gonna be really close - of the 6 computers that make up the BCS rankings, two of them already had UF ahead of Mich in the rankings going into this weekend so no telling hw this could end up. The way they had it broken down going into the weekend:

1) Anderson & Hestor - Mich #3, UF #4
2) Billingsley - Mich #2, UF #4
3) Colley - UF #3, Mich #4
4) Massey - UF #3, Mich #4
5) Sagarin - Mich #3, UF #6
6) Wolfe - Mich #2, UF #4

And of the above, only Colley ranks UF as having a tougher schedule than Mich (see: http://grjash.netfirms.com/bcs/sos.html )

Definitely a tough one to call!!! GO BLUE!!!
Last edited by stomperrob on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:03 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact