Coaching Vacancies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Coaching Vacancies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:According to Gopher Illustrated, Lane Kiffin has been offered the head coaching position at Minnesota. The two sides are reportedly discussing the offer today.

Kiffin is a popular choice among Gopher fans thanks to his local ties and strong pedigree.

He has to be a good choice, he and I went to the same high school. :-b

Thats a good Hire, Kiffin is a great Coach. I know his Brother, went to HS with him here in Tampa, he actually got arrested just before the season for breaking into cars, he was always in trouble even when he played at CSU.

Chris definitely had a few issues growing up, they were pretty well publicized around here due to Monte's connections with the Vikings. He definitey went in a different direction than Lane, although I guess growing up where Lane did, with such low crime rate, if he would have steered off course he would have every officer in town hot on his tail. :-D

I am proud to say Chris got me my first Fake ID, and then the guy was arrested by the FBI and they took my ID :-t
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:51 pm

TULSA, Okla. -- Tulsa hired Rice's Todd Graham as its new head coach Friday, replacing Steve Kragthorpe with his former defensive coordinator.

Graham ran Kragthorpe's defense for three years at Tulsa before taking the Rice job last year. He turned around the Owls program, taking team that had been 1-10 in 2005 and leading it to a 7-6 season and its first bowl game in 45 years.

"I'm very excited for my family and thrilled about this opportunity to be the head football coach at the University of Tulsa," Graham said. "To be able to return to a program that you helped to rebuild and now have the chance to take it to an even higher level is exciting."

Kragthorpe left Tulsa on Tuesday to replace Bobby Petrino at Louisville. The same day, Graham signed a contract to stay at Rice until 2012. However, Tulsa was still able to lure him away.

Graham, 42, takes over a program that he helped Kragthorpe resurrect. Tulsa had won only one game in each of the two seasons before Kragthorpe took over in 2003. His staff led Division I's best turnaround, as the Golden Hurricane went to a bowl game for the first time since 1991.

Such reversals have been common in Graham's career. He spent two seasons on Rich Rodriguez's staff at West Virginia, helping begin the Mountaineers' current run of five straight winning seasons, before similar turnarounds at Tulsa and Rice. He previously coached at East Central (Okla.) University and at high schools in Oklahoma and Texas.

"We're extremely pleased to have Todd Graham return to the University of Tulsa as our football coach," athletics director Bubba Cunningham said. "There's no question that Todd fits the two main attributes we were looking for in a head coach, the ability to recruit and the right fit for our university.

"Todd's enthusiasm is infectious and his football knowledge and coaching ability is evident," Cunningham said.

At Tulsa, Graham inherits a program that has made back-to-back postseason trips for the first time since 1964-65. Kragthorpe went 29-22 in four seasons, including three bowl games. The Golden Hurricane were 8-5 this season and lost four of their final five games, including a 25-13 defeat to Utah in the Armed Forces Bowl.

In 2005, Graham's Tulsa defense forced 31 turnovers -- tied for the ninth-best total in Division I -- to help the Golden Hurricane win the Conference USA title. The Golden Hurricane ranked first in the conference in pass efficiency defense, second in total defense and third in scoring defense that season.

Last season, Tulsa led the league in total defense, while Rice ranked last.

The Golden Hurricane return quarterback Paul Smith, who threw for 2,727 yards and 15 touchdowns, and top tailback Courtney Tennial, who ran for 845 yards and 13 TDs. However, Graham must replace his top two receivers and most of a senior-laden offensive line that entered this season with more collective starts than any other Division I team.

Tulsa also loses four of its top five tacklers on defense, including linebacker Nick Bunting, the Conference USA defensive player of the year.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Hmm - interesting move
Shoop leaves Raiders for Tar Heels

NFL.com wire reports

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (Jan. 12, 2007) -- Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator John Shoop was hired to fill the same position on Butch Davis' staff at North Carolina.

Shoop, who also has NFL coaching experience with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers, began this season as the Raiders' tight ends coach and was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games.

The 37-year-old Shoop was mentioned as a candidate for the vacant Raiders head coaching job after Art Shell was fired. Oakland's offense finished last in the NFL this season with 168 points -- the fifth-lowest total in a 16-game season.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:36 pm

stomperrob wrote:Hmm - interesting move

NFL.com wire reports

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (Jan. 12, 2007) -- Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator John Shoop was hired to fill the same position on Butch Davis' staff at North Carolina.

Shoop, who also has NFL coaching experience with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers, began this season as the Raiders' tight ends coach and was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games.

The 37-year-old Shoop was mentioned as a candidate for the vacant Raiders head coaching job after Art Shell was fired. Oakland's offense finished last in the NFL this season with 168 points -- the fifth-lowest total in a 16-game season.

AP NEWS

Well he wasn't that great of an OC in OAK or CHI, doesn't surprise me b/c i am sure he would have lost his job with a new HC coming in.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:34 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Hmm - interesting move

NFL.com wire reports

AP NEWS

Well he wasn't that great of an OC in OAK or CHI, doesn't surprise me b/c i am sure he would have lost his job with a new HC coming in.

Great...looks like the Heels won't have an offense next year. It'll be just like this year.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm

The Gophers have reportedly filled their coaching vacany.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

This comes out of left field, I have never heard of this guy, his name really wasn't even thrown around when they talked about candidates.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:35 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:The Gophers have reportedly filled their coaching vacany.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

This comes out of left field, I have never heard of this guy, his name really wasn't even thrown around when they talked about candidates.

Sounds like Ron Zook to me.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Amato back at FSU as LB coach
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:56 am

Texas State coach headed to Rice

January 18, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Texas State coach David Bailiff accepted the head job at Rice on Thursday night, replacing Todd Graham.

"We hate the fact that we are losing him, but we want our people to be successful and this is a wonderful opportunity for David. We wish him all the success in the world," Texas State president Denise M. Trauth said in a news release.

Rice scheduled a news conference for Friday, but wouldn't say who had been hired.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to be the head coach at one of the greatest academic institutions in the country, and I look forward to keeping the momentum going," Bailiff told Houston television station KRIV.

The Owls were left scrambling a week ago when Graham bolted for Tulsa after one season. Graham left just three days after signing a contract extension to stay at Rice.

Bailiff, 48, led the Bobcats to a 21-15 record in three seasons. Texas State won its first Southland Conference championship in 2005 and reached the Division I-AA national semifinals. The Bobcats went 5-6 in 2006.

Bailiff was in Houston on Thursday and then returned to San Marcos to tell his players he accepted the Rice job and meet with Texas State athletic director Larry Teis, sports information director Ron Mears said.

"That a school like Rice University would hire David is a great compliment not only to him, but also to Texas State," Trauth said.

Teis named assistant head coach Brad Wright as interim coach.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 18, 2007 10:57 pm EST

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 am

COMMENTARY: Offensive coaches will make a difference for FSU

By Brandon Mellor, FSView & Florida Flambeau
January 18, 2007

(CSTV U-WIRE) TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Tuesday's hiring of new running backs coach Dexter Carter marks the end to what has been a process that Seminole fans would soon like to forget -- although it's safe to assume those same fans approve of how it all finally worked out.

Gone are Jeff Bowden, Daryl Dickey, Mark McHale and Billy Sexton.

Enter Jimbo Fisher, Rick Trickett, Lawrence Dawsey and Carter.

Doubt head coach Bobby Bowden's ability to direct a dominant program if you must, but if you break it down, Division I college football's winningest coach just may have put together one of the top offensive staffs in the entire country -- if not the very best.

Bowden, McHale and Dickey -- three men not necessarily known for their strong ability to recruit prep talent -- were replaced by three coaches in Fisher, Trickett and Dawsey, who are considered some of the very best at attracting prospects.

It's hard to argue that those three new Seminole coaches are not some of the very best at their respective positions in terms of actual coaching, too.

Carter may not come to Florida State with as much experience as the rest of the new faces on the staff but he is a proven winner at both the collegiate and professional levels.

And it's key not to look past the importance of what both Dawsey and Carter bring to the table. Bowden mentioned before season's end that he felt strongly about diversifying his staff.

The hiring of two African-American coaches accomplishes that feat while at the same time helping recruiting even more. No longer can opposing programs use FSU's lack of minority coaches as a negative recruiting tool.

Dawsey and Carter join defensive line coach Odell Haggins to form a formidable trio of coaches that prospects are likely to have a hard time saying no to.

With recruiting season closing in on the final stretch, the new members of the offensive staff have their work cut out for them if they want to finish strong. It's going to be a challenge to recruit against a University of Florida program that is still marveling at its national championship trophy.

But the dream team of Fisher, Dawsey, Trickett, Carter, tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator John Lilly and the master finisher, Bowden himself, should be able to handle it just fine.

An offseason of question marks ends with the inquiry, "Is it time for spring practice yet?"

Updated on Thursday, Jan 18, 2007 8:00 pm EST

stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to College Football