Coaching Vacancies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Coaching Vacancies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Miami has settled on Georgia Tech's Patrick Nix to be the new offensive coordinator according to ESPN.com.

Nix served as the offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech for the past three season.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Already mentioned in the Huskers thread, but here's the full article:

UCLA hires Norvell as offensive coordinator

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
January 26, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Jay Norvell, an assistant coach who helped Nebraska develop a prolific, well-balanced offense, joined UCLA's staff Friday as offensive coordinator.

Norvell brings his "West Coast" style of offense back to California, where he was an assistant with the Oakland Raiders for two years before moving with head coach Bill Callahan to Nebraska following the 2003 season.

The 43-year-old Norvell also will coach the quarterbacks at UCLA, a role he filled at Nebraska. Unlike Nebraska, where Callahan called the plays, Norvell will have that duty with the Bruins.

"I'm ready now. I've prepared my entire career to gain some more responsibilities," Norvell said in a conference call.

"We run a pro-style attack, very multiple, and play to a good tempo. We're going to be extremely demanding of the kids."

Norvell replaces Jim Svoboda, who was the Bruins' quarterbacks coach in 2004-05 and added the offensive coordinator duties this past season.

Coach Karl Dorrell fired Svoboda earlier this month after the Bruins went 7-6 and averaged 23 points this past season. They averaged more than 39 points and went 10-2 the previous year.

Last season, the Cornhuskers ranked 14th nationally in yards per game (414.6) and 17th in scoring (30.6). They were 23rd in both passing (244.1 yards a game) and rushing (170.5).

Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor was selected the 2006 Big 12 Conference offensive player of the year. He set school records by passing for 3,197 yards and 26 touchdowns as the Cornhuskers went 9-5 and won the Big 12 North title.

"What intrigued me is that they were able to do it quickly at Nebraska," Dorrell said. "He developed a quarterback there as well.

"He's an up-and-coming coach and this is a great opportunity for him to showcase his skills."

Norvell's resume includes jobs with the Indianapolis Colts, Iowa State, Wisconsin and Northern Iowa. A native of Madison, Wis., he was an All-Big Ten defensive back at Iowa in 1985 and began his coaching career as a graduate assistant there.

Callahan, who also coached with him at Wisconsin, said, "Coach Norvell has a bright future in this profession."

Norvell previously interviewed for head coaching jobs at Iowa State and Boston College, and had interviewed with Dorrell for a UCLA job a couple years ago.

"The timing wasn't right then, and it's exactly right now," Norvell said.

Updated on Friday, Jan 26, 2007 9:30 pm EST

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:05 pm

The challenges of being a Head Coach at the Division One level can make a young man, old, and an old man, feel older.

Add to that, being the Head Coach at Army, home of the Black Knights and historical province of where leaders are developed and made, a place called West Point ... the challenges are hard to imagine, especially at age 67.

Well, Coach Bobby Ross, who's resume speaks for itself, has had to endure the challenges, and has done so with class & integrity, but at 3pm at this afternoon's press conference, Coach Ross will pass the mantle on to the new Army Black Knights' Head Coach.
Of course, GoBlackKnights.com will continue to follow this story as it unfolds.

There are many questions that will be answered, such as, who will be the new Head Coach, what coaches will remain, impact on recruiting, as well as current players.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:27 pm

New head coach at Army is Stan Brock
WEST POINT, N.Y. – When Bobby Ross informed officials at the United States Military Academy of his decision to retire from coaching, Academy leadership wasted little time identifying the veteran field boss' successor.

On the same day in which Ross officially announced that he was leaving the coaching sidelines, United States Military Academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. Franklin L. Hagenbeck and Director of Athletics Kevin Anderson introduced Stan Brock as the Black Knights' new head football coach.

Brock, who served as an assistant on Ross' staff each of the past three years, was named the 35th head coach in the history of the intercollegiate football program at West Point during a press conference at Randall Hall Auditorium Monday afternoon.

"West Point is fortunate to have a proven leader with coach Brock's record of success," said Hagenbeck. "Stan's name immediately rose to the top when we began discussing the process with coach Ross to identify a future successor. The continuity and stability he provides the program is critical. He's earned the respect of the players, coaches and administration as a tough, principled visionary."

A member of Ross' original staff at the Academy, Brock has guided Army's offensive linemen each of the past three years and carries the experience of 16 years as a standout lineman in the National Football League.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to serve as head coach at Army," Brock said. "I'm honored that the administration at the Academy offered me the position and thinks enough of me to lead this program. When you're at West Point, you're not only the head coach of the team, but you're also a role model for the Corps of Cadets. The Corps has to be able to connect with you and I think it's very important to have a good relationship with them.

"I arrived with very little knowledge of West Point. In three years I've gained a great understanding of the Military Academy," he added. "I've been out to Camp Buckner and I've gone through summer training with our cadets. I've been to a couple of the pre-R-Day training sessions and I've attended graduation ceremonies, so I feel very comfortable with my knowledge of the Academy."

Brock played 13 seasons with the NFL's New Orleans Saints (1980-92) as an offensive tackle after he was selected in the first round of the 1980 NFL Draft as the 12th overall selection. He was an All-Rookie choice in 1980 and went on to play in 186 games for New Orleans (No. 4 all-time in Saints history). At one point, Brock made 67 consecutive starts and was part of an offensive line that allowed a league-low 15 sacks in 1992. During his last six years in New Orleans (1987-92), the Saints compiled an overall record of 66-32 (.673). Brock was inducted into the Saints' Hall of Fame in 1998.

"We are very fortunate that we had an internal candidate the likes of Stan Brock to succeed coach Ross," Anderson said. "Stan commands a great deal of respect from our players. He resonates with them and has proven to be an excellent leader and role model during his time here.

"We believe strongly that coach Ross has laid the foundation for our program's future success and hiring Stan allows us to continue the progress we've made the past three years," he continued. "Continuity in a football program is extremely important and Stan will help us maintain the bedrock values we established under coach Ross. We also feel he will bring some exciting new innovations to our offensive and defensive systems as we set out to achieve our goal of building a consistent, winning program."

After becoming an unrestricted free agent in 1993, Brock closed out his playing career with three seasons as the co-captain of the Chargers (1993-95) under Ross.

The highlight of his 234-game NFL career occurred during the 1994 season, when the Chargers won the AFC championship with a 17-13 upset victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, lifting San Diego into Super Bowl XXIX versus the San Francisco 49ers.

Brock, 48, was a four-year letterman at the University of Colorado, serving as team captain during his senior season. Once referred to as the "best pass blocker in college football" by Buffaloes' head coach Chuck Fairbanks, Brock earned first team All-Big Eight Conference honors as a senior and played in the Senior Bowl and Hula Bowl. He started every game at right tackle during his final two years.

Prior to joining Ross at Army, Brock served as the first head coach of the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League (2000-01), adding the title of director of football operations. Prior to that two-year run, Brock spent three seasons as the head coach of the AFL's Portland Forest Dragons (1997-99). In 1999, he led the Forest Dragons to a 7-7 finish in only their third year in the AFL. Portland was ranked second in the league in every defensive statistical category but one. The Forest Dragons went 6-3 in their last nine games and narrowly missed the AFL playoffs.

"This is the opportunity of a lifetime," Brock stated. "West Point is a special place. There are many coaches out there who would love to have this job.

"I've been around some great coaches in my career and I think I bring a little bit of all of them into this new challenge. I completely support coach Ross' vision for the program and intend to build upon the groundwork that he laid. We understand that we are ‘America's Team' and one of the most widely recognized symbols of our Army," Brock said.

Upon his return to the college game in 2004, Brock played a large role in improving Army's rushing attack by nearly 100 yards per game from the previous year to rank 36th nationally. The Portland, Ore., native also developed three-year starter Pete Bier into a candidate for the Dave Rimington Award this past season.

Hailing from a football-playing family, Brock's brother, Pete, was a center for the New England Patriots for 12 seasons and another brother, Willie, was a draft choice of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Brock and his wife, Lori, have four daughters: Sarah, 27; Jessica, 25; Rachel, 22; and Emily, 19. The family resides at West Point.

Brock will begin his new duties at Army immediately, assuming full control of one of the nation's most storied gridiron programs this afternoon. He expects to finalize his initial Black Knight coaching staff in the days ahead.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Bellotti agrees to stay in Oregon with five-year extension
Feb. 5, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon football coach Mike Bellotti has agreed to a five-year contract extension.

The 56-year-old Bellotti gets a salary of $150,000 a year, with a guaranteed base of $650,000 in compensation that includes such things as car, country club membership and TV contract, a university spokesman said Monday.

The contract also includes incentive payments that could boost his annual take to $1.1 million.

"He'd have to win a national championship to max out at the $1 million figure," said Dave Williford, the university's media services director.

Athletic Director Bill Moos said in a statement the agreement would provide stability for the football program and cited Bellotti's record in 12 years: 10 of the school's 20 bowl appearances and second in Pac-10 overall victories. He is the only coach to have led Oregon to 10 or more wins in a season, and has done it three times.

The Ducks were 7-6 last season.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

stomperrob

Previous

Return to College Football