Football Gurus, Commish in need of NFL rule clarification - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Football Gurus, Commish in need of NFL rule clarification

Moderator: Football Moderators

Football Gurus, Commish in need of NFL rule clarification

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:40 am

Ok I know we have some bright people here on the cafe, so I hope I can get some feedback.

When it comes to wildcard seeding, the NFL has the following as one of the criteria:

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

The example the NFL gives is very simple and staightfoward, but it is too simplistic.

My question & example -

Let's say Team A and Team B are in this tie-break sitation.

Now, both teams have played teams X, Y, and Z.

However, team A has played team X twice... but team B played all three just once.

Does this mess up the tiebreak since team A is being evaluated on 4 games and team B is being evaluated on 3 games???

X,Y,Z are the common teams... but they are played a different amount of times.

Please help - been searching all over the internet for an example.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:52 am

If they didn't both play 4 games against similar opponents, then it cannot be used. So unless B also played 2 games against that same opponent, they would only have 3 common games and it cannot be used as a tiebreaker.

To put it simply, this is how it would break down:

Team A played X
Team B played X

Team A played Y
Team B played Y

Team A played Z
Team B played Z

Team A played Z again
Team B did not play Z again

You must take them individually like this, act like the last 2 games against team Z aren't the same team, that's how you have to look at it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:56 am

mattb47 wrote:If they didn't both play 4 games against similar opponents, then it cannot be used. So unless B also played 2 games against that same opponent, they would only have 3 common games and it cannot be used as a tiebreaker.

Team A played X
Team B played X

Team A played Y
Team B played Y

Team A played Z
Team B played Z

Team A played Z again

You must take them individually like this, act like the last 2 games against team Z aren't the same team, that's how you have to look at it.

Hold on, so you're saying the whole tiebreaker is bust... or do I just exclude games played against team Z. So it would be the best record against teams X and Y.

If I include only one game played against team Z... what on earth do I do if Team A went 1-1 vs team Z... which game would I pick?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:06 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
mattb47 wrote:If they didn't both play 4 games against similar opponents, then it cannot be used. So unless B also played 2 games against that same opponent, they would only have 3 common games and it cannot be used as a tiebreaker.

Team A played X
Team B played X

Team A played Y
Team B played Y

Team A played Z
Team B played Z

Team A played Z again

Hold on, so you're saying the whole tiebreaker is bust... or do I just exclude games played against team Z. So it would be the best record against teams X and Y.

If I include only one game played against team Z... what on earth do I do if Team A went 1-1 vs team Z... which game would I pick?

The rule you are using states that this is used only when there are 4 common games minimum. There were not 4 common games here. If you want to extend that further by making it only 3 common games minimum then go ahead, but I wouldn't do that in this situation since one team played one of the teams in question twice.

The only possible way I would use this type of rule in this situation is if Team A went 2-0 or 0-2 against team Z, in which case you could just call it a win or a loss in comparing the teams' record against those common opponents. Idealy, however, it is best to have at least 4 common opponents used because 3 games just doesn't quite give you enough to go on.

If it is a division type of league, I think that divisional record is a better indicator than using the "common opponents" argument personally, but if not then I would probably look for something else to use as a tiebreaker.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk