Biggest BCS Snub? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Biggest BCS Snub?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Muenster22 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 pm

If you look at who has Boise State beat? True, they are undefeated, but when your beating up on Idaho and New Mexico State that isn't exactly impressive. The toughest team was Oregon State, who beat the second toughest team a now rankless Hawaii. All Oregon State has to show for is a two point victory over USC. Yes, that isn't anything small, but neither is how much they lost to Cal and UCLA.

Notre Dame has lost their two big games, Michigan and USC, each by and 20+ point margain. They beat some of the same teams Wisconsin beat, Penn State and Purdue. The Irish lost by 26 to Michigan, the Badgers by 14, a game that was tied at halftime. The Notre Dame-Michigan game was a blow out by half, 34-14, not to mention Notre Dame played them at home while Wisconsin traveled to Ann Arbor.

Wisconsin may have had some hiccups along the way to teams like Illinois and Iowa. Illinois was also extremely talented and were a lot better then their record showed for. Notre Dame only beat 1-7 in the Big 10 Michigan State by 3. The Irish led a 19 point 4th quarter comeback to not get upset by the Spartans. Wake Forest who will in the Orange Bowl managed to beat Duke by a whopping point. Yes, Duke, 0-12. With Wisconsin running off 8 victories to close the season I don't see why anything other then a rule would've been standing in their way.

AP: #6
USA Today: #5
BCS: #7
Harris: #6

Sounds like a BCS bowl worthy team.
Muenster22
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 pm

Muenster22 wrote:If you look at who has Boise State beat? True, they are undefeated, but when your beating up on Idaho and New Mexico State that isn't exactly impressive. The toughest team was Oregon State, who beat the second toughest team a now rankless Hawaii. All Oregon State has to show for is a two point victory over USC. Yes, that isn't anything small, but neither is how much they lost to Cal and UCLA.

Notre Dame has lost their two big games, Michigan and USC, each by and 20+ point margain. They beat some of the same teams Wisconsin beat, Penn State and Purdue. The Irish lost by 26 to Michigan, the Badgers by 14, a game that was tied at halftime. The Notre Dame-Michigan game was a blow out by half, 34-14, not to mention Notre Dame played them at home while Wisconsin traveled to Ann Arbor.

Wisconsin may have had some hiccups along the way to teams like Illinois and Iowa. Illinois was also extremely talented and were a lot better then their record showed for. Notre Dame only beat 1-7 in the Big 10 Michigan State by 3. The Irish led a 19 point 4th quarter comeback to not get upset by the Spartans. Wake Forest who will in the Orange Bowl managed to beat Duke by a whopping point. Yes, Duke, 0-12. With Wisconsin running off 8 victories to close the season I don't see why anything other then a rule would've been standing in their way.

AP: #6
USA Today: #5
BCS: #7
Harris: #6

Sounds like a BCS bowl worthy team.

The rule is what stood in there way. 3 of them in fact. No more than 2 from a conference, the ND rule, and the non-BCS conference rule.

OSU also beat Oregon, which is no slouch and beat Hawaii in Hawaii. Hawaii had averaged around 60 something points at home and didn't get 40 on OSU. They were also averaging over a 30 point victory margain at home. They may be Hawaii but they are a tough team to play in Hawaii.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:55 pm

A trip to Hawaii is almost a guaranteed loss. Seriously, most of your team has never been to Hawaii, so they're distracted. Hawaii throws out 300 pound running backs, which you're not ready for. Hawaii runs that insane offense in which QBs throw for 1000 yards a game. It's really ridiculous. June has got to be one of the most underrated coaches in all of college football.

And you really can degrade my Beavers all you want. It doesn't matter since what they've accomplished with the quality of players that routinely come to OSU is amazing. We're talking about a school that had 26 straight losing seasons. You think highly recruited players really wanna come to Corvallis?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:58 pm

Sandrock wrote:A trip to Hawaii is almost a guaranteed loss. Seriously, most of your team has never been to Hawaii, so they're distracted. Hawaii throws out 300 pound running backs, which you're not ready for. Hawaii runs that insane offense in which QBs throw for 1000 yards a game. It's really ridiculous. June has got to be one of the most underrated coaches in all of college football.

And you really can degrade my Beavers all you want. It doesn't matter since what they've accomplished with the quality of players that routinely come to OSU is amazing. We're talking about a school that had 26 straight losing seasons. You think highly recruited players really wanna come to Corvallis?

Steven Jackson was awesome, tore ND apart
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:19 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Sandrock wrote:A trip to Hawaii is almost a guaranteed loss. Seriously, most of your team has never been to Hawaii, so they're distracted. Hawaii throws out 300 pound running backs, which you're not ready for. Hawaii runs that insane offense in which QBs throw for 1000 yards a game. It's really ridiculous. June has got to be one of the most underrated coaches in all of college football.

Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them. Shocker. I chatted with him several times about football. I've also talked with Nick Barnett and Chad Johnson, Housh and Mike Hass.

It's odd really the routes that bring players to OSU. CJ and Housh came because of Dennis and really feel no loyalty to the school whatsoever. None at all. While guys like SJax and Nick Barnett love OSU because the coaching staff believed they could play when nobody else did.

I doubt there'll ever be a day when a big name high school recruit steps up and says "I'm going to Oregon State." At least not in my lifetime.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:56 pm

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them. Shocker. I chatted with him several times about football. I've also talked with Nick Barnett and Chad Johnson, Housh and Mike Hass.

It's odd really the routes that bring players to OSU. CJ and Housh came because of Dennis and really feel no loyalty to the school whatsoever. None at all. While guys like SJax and Nick Barnett love OSU because the coaching staff believed they could play when nobody else did.

I doubt there'll ever be a day when a big name high school recruit steps up and says "I'm going to Oregon State." At least not in my lifetime.

Actually big name recruits say that all the time...they just play baseball, not football.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Sandrock wrote:
Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them.

Athletes are held to a higher standard than regular students, at FLorida at least. There are administrators who walk around daily to the different classes that the athletes are in just to make sure they attend class. If they don't attend class on a day, it's typical for them to not practice that day as well. I assume most schools do this type of thing. Athletes put in more work than most of us give them credit for...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sandrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:35 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them.

Athletes are held to a higher standard than regular students, at FLorida at least. There are administrators who walk around daily to the different classes that the athletes are in just to make sure they attend class. If they don't attend class on a day, it's typical for them to not practice that day as well. I assume most schools do this type of thing. Athletes put in more work than most of us give them credit for...

Wait, isn't Florida the school that has that "athelete only" major?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sandrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:37 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Actually big name recruits say that all the time...they just play baseball, not football.

Now that we won the NC we're getting Baseball players from all over the place. It didn't use to be that way though. The team that won the NC was made up of players almost entirely from Oregon.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:38 pm

Sandrock wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

Wait, isn't Florida the school that has that "athelete only" major?

Regardless of whether they do or not, even if they are taking regular classes, although they might be putting in more work than they get credit for, they still put in less work than the average student...

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to College Football