Return to College Football

Biggest BCS Snub?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them.

Athletes are held to a higher standard than regular students, at FLorida at least. There are administrators who walk around daily to the different classes that the athletes are in just to make sure they attend class. If they don't attend class on a day, it's typical for them to not practice that day as well. I assume most schools do this type of thing. Athletes put in more work than most of us give them credit for...

Wait, isn't Florida the school that has that "athelete only" major?

Regardless of whether they do or not, even if they are taking regular classes, although they might be putting in more work than they get credit for, they still put in less work than the average student...

Florida doesn't have such a major. I can also speak from experience and say that the average Florida football player puts more time into academics than the average student at UF. Also, the average athlete GPA at Florida is higher in the majority of majors than the average student GPA.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:46 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
Yes, he was amazing. I had several classes with SJax and he actually attended them.

Athletes are held to a higher standard than regular students, at FLorida at least. There are administrators who walk around daily to the different classes that the athletes are in just to make sure they attend class. If they don't attend class on a day, it's typical for them to not practice that day as well. I assume most schools do this type of thing. Athletes put in more work than most of us give them credit for...

Wait, isn't Florida the school that has that "athelete only" major?

Regardless of whether they do or not, even if they are taking regular classes, although they might be putting in more work than they get credit for, they still put in less work than the average student...

Florida doesn't have such a major. I can also speak from experience and say that the average Florida football player puts more time into academics than the average student at UF. Also, the average athlete GPA at Florida is higher in the majority of majors than the average student GPA.

Their GPA is higher because they are taking the easiest courses offered, while other students choose to challenge themselves- i am not saying they don't work hard, i am just saying it is a bit of a misleading statistic.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:58 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

That started with Meyer. I can tell you when Zook was there, those guys never went to class, i know i had some classes with them sophmore and junior year.

Also, UF did have an athlete only major, not sure if they have it anymore. It was called undergraduate studies, basically get 120 credits and you graduate.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:59 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Florida doesn't have such a major. I can also speak from experience and say that the average Florida football player puts more time into academics than the average student at UF. Also, the average athlete GPA at Florida is higher in the majority of majors than the average student GPA.

Their GPA is higher because they are taking the easiest courses offered, while other students choose to challenge themselves- i am not saying they don't work hard, i am just saying it is a bit of a misleading statistic.

I believe I was unclear in my earlier statement which may have caused some confusion. In certain comparable majors, IE Business Finance for example: student athletes at the University of Florida have a better average GPA than the average UF student in that major.

Granted there are those few players who take Kindergarden Math and 1st Grade English but some of these athletes work really hard and there's the stereotype that they're all just morons who just want to play and move on and that's just not the case with the majority of these athletes.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sandrock » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:09 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

That started with Meyer. I can tell you when Zook was there, those guys never went to class, i know i had some classes with them sophmore and junior year.

Also, UF did have an athlete only major, not sure if they have it anymore. It was called undergraduate studies, basically get 120 credits and you graduate.

That's the major I was talking about. I haven't heard of a major like that at any other school, but I'm sure they're out there.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:00 pm

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

That's the major I was talking about. I haven't heard of a major like that at any other school, but I'm sure they're out there.

There was one at some school, I don't remember where called Coaching 101 and it was for basketball players- one of the questions on the final exam was "how many points do you get for a 3-pt shot?"

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

There was one at some school, I don't remember where called Coaching 101 and it was for basketball players- one of the questions on the final exam was "how many points do you get for a 3-pt shot?"

i bet someone answered it wrong just to be funny
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

It was at UGA, the teacher was Jim Harrick Jr, the son of the UGA coach at the time.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:26 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

It was at UGA, the teacher was Jim Harrick Jr, the son of the UGA coach at the time.

Yeah, I thought it was UGA, but I didn't want to say that and be wrong and offend someone that likes/attended UGA. Although, the test did mix some math in there with the question "how many halves are in a college basketball game?"

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
Sandrock wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was UGA, but I didn't want to say that and be wrong and offend someone that likes/attended UGA. Although, the test did mix some math in there with the question "how many halves are in a college basketball game?"

:-? :-? :-?

:-b :-b :-b :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football