defense-only draft/venting on bizarre rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

defense-only draft/venting on bizarre rules

Moderator: Football Moderators

defense-only draft/venting on bizarre rules

Postby Bantam » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Any unique rules in your league that just drive you nuts?

I’ve been in a 10-team league with some close friends for the past five seasons, and for about the past three, I’ve been trying to get rid of one rule that just irks me. We have a separate draft for defenses. No, not IDPs. A separate draft exclusively for D/STs. We draw random order for the main draft, where we select all offensive positions. We draw a second random order for the “defensive draft.” The defensive draft goes serpentine, just like a standard draft, except that it’s two rounds: 1 to 10, then 10 back to 1. Obviously, we do a live draft(s) to accommodate this.

This was how I played my first few seasons in fantasy football, so I didn’t know that anyone else did anything differently. I’ve since realized how ridiculous it is and tried to convince the league to change it. No dice. A few dissenters aside, they like it like this. I have no idea why. I’ve tried to hit what I think are the obvious flaws:

1. There will never be 20 defenses worth owning in a 10-team league.
2. Many people (like me) don’t want to draft two defenses
3. Getting the 10th and 11th defenses is in no way, shape, or form even close to comparable to getting the 1st and 20th best defenses—especially since this is the one position that will never miss a game due to injury
4. Whoever gets the #1 pick in the “defensive draft” and the top defense in the league (this past season: Bears = 25 pts/week) is essentially getting a free 7th-round pick

While I’ve managed success in this league, it’s frustrating to go into the draft with the 10th defensive pick—which I have had 3 times in 5 seasons. Anyone else encounter bizarre stuff like this? Maybe there’s others out there and I just don’t know about it.
Bantam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:03 pm

I was in one league that was insane. Two points per reception and ten points per touchdown. But still only 1 pt per 10 yards of yardage. An RB would run for 145 which I think is a great day, but only score 14 pts. Whereas there were receivers scoring in the 60's because they had 12 receptions, 160 yards, and 2 TD's for 24 + 16 + 20 or whatever. And even if they only had 8 catches for 80 yards they would outscore the RB by 10 pts. It was ridiculous.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk