I need some help quickly. Please help before tonights game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I need some help quickly. Please help before tonights game

Moderator: Football Moderators

I need some help quickly. Please help before tonights game

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:44 pm

Two teams have clinched and we are looking for two wildcards. Our league has 2 divisions and we are in the last week of the season.We have two playoff spots left and 4 teams are tied at 7-6 for those 2 spots.

Here are our tiebreakers:

1 Head to Head
2 Division Record
3 Points

Team 1 has 2080
Team 2 has 2040
Team 3 has 2000
Team 4 has 1850

Now to determine the first playoff spot we use total points since none of the 4 teams beat the other three head to head and not all 4 are in the same division. So we move to total points.

Here is the problem. Team one is in the playoffs because they have the most points, however Team 4 has beaten Team 2 and 3 head to head.

In the NFL they resort back to the first tie breaker once a team has made the playoffs.

Which team makes the playoffs?

Team 2 because they are the next highest point scoring team or does team 4 because now thatteam 1 made the playoffs we resort back to head to head an he beat team 2 and 3?

Pleas help because I need to have something to the league before the game starts.
SHOCKandAWE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The town with the BEST football fans around! PITTSBURGH, PA

Postby daullaz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:54 pm

IMO Team 4. You use the Total Points tiebreaker to determine the first WC spot, then you go back to the beginning to determine the other playoff spot.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Teams 1 and 2. Once you move to another tiebreaker, you don't move back up to a previous one.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Deathwarmedover » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:24 pm

I think you can go back to the beginning for each playoff spot.

Steve
Deathwarmedover
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Peacesells » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Matthias wrote:Teams 1 and 2. Once you move to another tiebreaker, you don't move back up to a previous one.

If you are going by NFL rules then this is an incorrect statement. Once 1 team is selected for the playoffs everything starts over for the remaining teams. This means your head to head winner should be the 4th team in.

I would like to add that in the future you should not use Head to head as the first tie breaker. If you want to use something similiar use record percentage vs common opponents. This way you can compare all the teams even if they didn't all play each other. In the league I run we used the NFL rules for years and always had headaches determining the playoff seeding. Last year we just went to total points as the tie breaker to make it easier for everyone.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Timbathia » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:40 pm

Good question and you can argue it either way and still be correct. I would guess you need to read the wording of your league rules to see if that helps.

I know that in ours we would default to the second tie-breaker for all teams with a tied-record, so the two teams with most points would go through. I would tend to go with this one if your rules dont clarify the situation.

Good luck, it sounds like whichever team that misses will be pissed.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:46 pm

daullaz wrote:IMO Team 4. You use the Total Points tiebreaker to determine the first WC spot, then you go back to the beginning to determine the other playoff spot.

Yup - Team 4 - no reason the others should get a pass on the fact that Team 4 beat them in the regular season...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Based on your answers you can see why i am struggling with this. Our rules do not say anything in regards to this and this league is a very high money league. We have over 3,000 in the pot. The good thing is that I am not one of the tied teams and have already clinched a playoff spot.
SHOCKandAWE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: The town with the BEST football fans around! PITTSBURGH, PA

Postby mattb47 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:05 pm

You have to think of the 2 playoff wildcard spots as being individual spots to win. When you take all 4 of them together, team 1 wins the first wildcard spot because the first useable tiebreaker between those 4 teams is total points.

Now you forget all that to decide the 2nd spot. You start from the first possible tiebreaker and work down from there, since team 4 beat both team 2 and 3, they should get the last wildcard spot.
Last edited by mattb47 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:05 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
daullaz wrote:IMO Team 4. You use the Total Points tiebreaker to determine the first WC spot, then you go back to the beginning to determine the other playoff spot.

Yup - Team 4 - no reason the others should get a pass on the fact that Team 4 beat them in the regular season...

They're not getting a pass. If Team 4 hadn't beaten Teams 2 and 3, he wouldn't have had the same record as them and would have been out of contention.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk