The real reason Florida is in the national championship - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Moderator: Football Moderators

The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:09 pm

You guys may think I am posting this because I am bitter about Michigan not making the national championship, but that really is not my motivation. I am posting this because I have always disliked Urban Meyer and this is just another thing to hate about him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:You guys may think I am posting this because I am bitter about Michigan not making the national championship, but that really is not my motivation. I am posting this because I have always disliked Urban Meyer and this is just another thing to hate about him.

I think you're gonna have an aneurism if you don't let go of this!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby eman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:03 pm

I don't need an article to remind me that Carr has that one thing Meyer is immensely unfamiliar with known as dignity.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Postby roninmedia » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:04 pm

stomperrob wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:You guys may think I am posting this because I am bitter about Michigan not making the national championship, but that really is not my motivation. I am posting this because I have always disliked Urban Meyer and this is just another thing to hate about him.

I think you're gonna have an aneurism if you don't let go of this!

Meyer is taking one out of the Mack Brown playbook two seasons ago. I admit it may have helped influenced some votes, but these coaches are so busy, I bet they order some stiff on their staff to handle the votes.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Hey, I hate the gators as much as the next guy, but Carr is just being a whiney little baby. They had their chance, they blew it. If they wanted to be in the CSG, they should have beaten OSU the first time.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mugrila » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 pm

I think my other post fits this thread too. Of course this topic will be controversial for a long time.

mugrila wrote:I think Florida going instead of Mich. is the right call. It would be much more of a travesty if Michigan got, in essence, a second chance when Florida, even though seen as slightly inferior, didn't get any chances. What if Michigan had gone and had in fact beaten OSU? Would there be a split title b/c they each won one game? I think Michigan fans would say, "of course not, we won when it counted." But the fact is, Ohio State won when it counted this year. It's a tough draw but Michigan had a good shot at beating them, and one could even argue that if given a mulligan on that helmet to helmet personal foul the Wolverines would be the one with the secure spot at the top.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:07 pm

My 2 cents--

Urban did lobby for his team. He did not go to the press or call a press conference, he simply answered questions asked of him before the FSU and SEC Championship game. Its not like he called the reporters down and then said all this, he is a coach and has press conferences and answered questions he was asked.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:36 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:My 2 cents--

Urban did lobby for his team. He did not go to the press or call a press conference, he simply answered questions asked of him before the FSU and SEC Championship game. Its not like he called the reporters down and then said all this, he is a coach and has press conferences and answered questions he was asked.

Make up your mind, did he have a press conference or not?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:12 pm

What a pathetic piece of journalism. Aside from the insane idea that a 9 second Urban Meyer quote is going sway a voters opinion, the utter hypocrisy of Lloyd Carr has been left out of all these articles.

I won’t deny that Meyer did some campaigning, and more than Carr, but what I don’t get in all this is how no one is talking about the hypocrisy of Lloyd Carr.

Carr is notoriously one of the toughest coaches to get an interview with in sports. People constantly want interviews with him and he constantly shoots them down. Then, magically this weekend I saw Lloyd Carr interviews everywhere. Reporters said Carr was asking THEM for interviews at that point so that he could get on there and say all the things we heard him say that everyone seems to be ignoring, the most repeated of which was to the extent of “I hope they don’t punish us for not playing this week.”

Then we’ve got the people saying Urban was disrespectful to Michigan, when his only quote about them was that they already had their shot at OSU. Meanwhile Carr said that he didn’t think the BCS had selected the two best teams as it was designed to do. If either of those are more disrespectful than the other (though really neither are disrespectful at all), it’s clearly the latter.

Yes, Urban “campaigned” more than Carr did, but Urban has always done lots of interviews, he also does TV commercials, etc. He’s out there talking to the media. Carr on the other hand went from Mr. Lurking in the Shadows to Mr. “hey, hey you, wanna interview me???”. Urban’s increase in talking to the media compared to the amount he usually talks to them was much less than Carr’s.

But aside from all this, the real insanity in all this is that people actually think that a coach taking 9 seconds from an interview to say his team should be in the national championship is swaying voters. I think if I sat here and punched myself in the face repeatedly, it would be a better argument than this whole "campaigning" nonsense.

And really all Meyer did was answer questions asked to him in the same interviews he's always had. I dunno, maybe I'm just out of the loop in Gainesville but I never heard about the "Vote for Urban" rally where everyone gathered and Urban gave speeches about how he hates Michigan. This whole thing is just talentless reporters trying to make a story out of nothing.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:14 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:My 2 cents--

Make up your mind, did he have a press conference or not?

deeray's response is actually quite clear - Meyer did not hold a press conference to discuss the NC or to lobby for UF to be #2 and to be in the NC - yes he did discuss the matter during regular press conferences
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Next

Return to College Football