The real reason Florida is in the national championship - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:52 pm

The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Because they're #2 in the BCS standings - end of story, case closed, no appeal - and no amount of arguing is gonna change that now!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:30 am

Let me pose this question. If you are the coach of a big time D-1 school, your school potentially has the chance to play in the NC game, wouldn't you do everything you could to try to push them into the game? I mean, if I were the coach I'd be calling press conferences, bashing UM, doing everything and anything to get into this game. In Florida's 100 year football history they've only played for the National Title 3 times, this is a big time event and even on the remote chance of getting in I'd be selling my school hardcore.

This is a lot like recruiting in my mind. Even though you can't influence the voters as much as you can recruits, you have to "sell" your school, something Meyer has done well in recruiting.

So my question is... if you were in this position would you campaign for your school? I know I'd do everything in my power to get my school into that game, because last I checked as a coach at big time schools like UM and UF you're measured by Championships and you the first step is getting in the game.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:You guys may think I am posting this because I am bitter about Michigan not making the national championship, but that really is not my motivation. I am posting this because I have always disliked Urban Meyer and this is just another thing to hate about him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

Let me know what you think.

I think that, regardless of what you're telling yourself, you're bitter about Michigan not getting a second chance to play OSU. Take the blinders off. It's over, it's done, end of story.

Seriously - let it go.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: The real reason Florida is in the national championship

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:You guys may think I am posting this because I am bitter about Michigan not making the national championship, but that really is not my motivation. I am posting this because I have always disliked Urban Meyer and this is just another thing to hate about him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

Let me know what you think.

I think that, regardless of what you're telling yourself, you're bitter about Michigan not getting a second chance to play OSU. Take the blinders off. It's over, it's done, end of story.

Seriously - let it go.

Oh, of course I am bitter, I am just saying that this specific post is not because of that- all I said in my last post was that I didn't understand what he was saying, and if I wasn't a Michigan fan, you would have simply clarified in instead of all this.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:28 pm

stomperrob wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:My 2 cents--

Urban did lobby for his team. He did not go to the press or call a press conference, he simply answered questions asked of him before the FSU and SEC Championship game. Its not like he called the reporters down and then said all this, he is a coach and has press conferences and answered questions he was asked.

Make up your mind, did he have a press conference or not?

deeray's response is actually quite clear - Meyer did not hold a press conference to discuss the NC or to lobby for UF to be #2 and to be in the NC - yes he did discuss the matter during regular press conferences

Thanks Rob, i meant to be a little more clear. Sorry guys if it was confusing ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football