How To Seed Playoffs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How To Seed Playoffs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

How To Seed Playoffs...

Postby dare » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:30 am

How do I set playoff matchups?

We are a head-to-head league. 8 teams make playoffs.
Obviosusly, the 1st of 3 rounds gets set up like this:
1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs 5.
The QUESTION is this: what do we do for the next round?
Some argue that you hold your place: ie.: if 8 upsets 1, he plays winner of 4/5 matchup. In other words, he wins his #1 seed position.
Others argue that for the second week, the highest seeds should play the lowest seed. ie.: if 1, 2, 4, and 6 win: 1 should play 6 and 2 should play 4. This argument being based on: Why do we bother playing head to head and for playoff seeding if it is of little value beyond the first round?
Love to get input on this. Thanx as always guys.
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 am

I think its easiest just to put it in a playoff bracket and stick with that.
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 am

I really like the straight bracket method as opposed to the re-seeding. If 8 upsets 1 so be it
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Matthias » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:56 am

Another vote for brackets.

Would look like this:

1 vs 8
4 vs 5

3 vs 6
2 vs 7

1/8 vs 4/5
3/6 vs 2/7

1/8/4/5 vs 2/3/6/7

As far as why do you want a good record? I would say so that you make the playoffs. I'm of the opinion that only about 1/3 of the teams in any league should make it. Give more meaning to the 14-week regular season than the 1 week where someone goes off or is held to nothing.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:13 pm

NFL re-seeds. NCAA uses fixed brackets.

I think re-seeding is the way to go.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:NFL re-seeds. NCAA uses fixed brackets.

I disagree.....if the #8 is able to knock off the #1 seed, they shouldn't be penalized with this method by having to then play the #2 seed int he next round. I think you go with a bracket and just play.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:46 pm

mattb47 wrote:

I disagree.....if the #8 is able to knock off the #1 seed, they shouldn't be penalized with this method by having to then play the #2 seed int he next round. I think you go with a bracket and just play.

I can see your point, but look at it from the #2 seed's perspective. Their team had a great year and they earned the right to have a favorable matchup.

The NFL agrees with me...

Besides, last time I checked this was Fantasy Football, not Basketball.

To each their own, but I'll try to stay as close to the NFL when possible. There's no right answer.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby awwchrist » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:53 pm

one of my leagues is 8 team, and the top 4 teams only go to the playoffs. 1v4 2v3 , winner plays in the superbowl.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:49 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

I can see your point, but look at it from the #2 seed's perspective. Their team had a great year and they earned the right to have a favorable matchup.

To each their own, but I'll try to stay as close to the NFL when possible. There's no right answer.

You can try to use the "this is fantasy football so we should do things as the NFL" argument, but there are so many things we DONT do the same as the NFL that it falls apart pretty quickly. The #2 seed did have a favorable matchup in the first round, they got to play the #7 seed.

Also, you are using the NFL argument where they have first round byes. If there is a first round bye, then yes, you do re-seeding so there is an advantage for the higher ranked teams in their first game, but when nobody has a bye and the #1 team gets the advantage of playing the #8 team and the #2 team gets the advantage of playing the #7 team, there is no need for any further advantages to be given out to those teams.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:58 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

You can try to use the "this is fantasy football so we should do things as the NFL" argument, but there are so many things we DONT do the same as the NFL that it falls apart pretty quickly. The #2 seed did have a favorable matchup in the first round, they got to play the #7 seed.

Also, you are using the NFL argument where they have first round byes. If there is a first round bye, then yes, you do re-seeding so there is an advantage for the higher ranked teams in their first game, but when nobody has a bye and the #1 team gets the advantage of playing the #8 team and the #2 team gets the advantage of playing the #7 team, there is no need for any further advantages to be given out to those teams.

I assumed there was a bye... so I agree. ;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk