How To Seed Playoffs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How To Seed Playoffs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dare » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanx for all the great input!
My take thus far is this:
Why bother playing eachother in head to head matchups and keeping track of standings if there's not weight consideration for finishing higher in those standings at the end of the year?
If someone finishes 1, 2 or 3 and and there's no bye weeks, we have to give them something beyond that original seeding in round 1.
If 1, 2, 6, and 4 seeds win their 1st rounds...I believe 1 earned the right to play the lower seed in the second round more than 2 did. I think 1 should play 6 and 2 should play 4.
If it's the other way: 1 has to play 4, and
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 pm

dare wrote:Thanx for all the great input!
My take thus far is this:
Why bother playing eachother in head to head matchups and keeping track of standings if there's not weight consideration for finishing higher in those standings at the end of the year?
If someone finishes 1, 2 or 3 and and there's no bye weeks, we have to give them something beyond that original seeding in round 1.
If 1, 2, 6, and 4 seeds win their 1st rounds...I believe 1 earned the right to play the lower seed in the second round more than 2 did. I think 1 should play 6 and 2 should play 4.
If it's the other way: 1 has to play 4, and

I don't think so....once you begin to go down this path, I think you are giving TOO much help to the top seeds instead of letting the tournament work itself out. You have given the top seeds an advantage by playing a lower seeded team in the first round, one easy week is more than any other teams got, so I think that should be enough.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:37 pm

You hafta set the place, or else the 8 seed has really no chance. If you don't in order to win the championship, the 8 seed must beat the 1, 2, and 3 seends, whereas the 1 seed would hafta beat 8, 4 and 2. Although the 1 should have an advantage, give everyone a chance.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dare » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:05 pm

Yes, but at the same time...if you are the 8th seed, you are the 8th seed. We let 8 teams in to keep it fun and keep people interested.
I see the 7th and 8th seeds as Wild Cards. And since there are No Byes for the 1st and 2nd seeds, the NCAA bracket style would not motivate folks to play as hard, but rather, to "just make the playoffs".
Another way o looking at what you wrote is this:
If everything goes as its supposed to, 1 will play 4 and 2 will play 3 in the semis.
But if it doesn't and it goes 8,2,3,4 with wins, I think you're over-rewarding 8's one week win with him getting to play 4, whle 2 gets stuck with 3.
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattb47 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:28 am

dare wrote:Yes, but at the same time...if you are the 8th seed, you are the 8th seed. We let 8 teams in to keep it fun and keep people interested.
I see the 7th and 8th seeds as Wild Cards. And since there are No Byes for the 1st and 2nd seeds, the NCAA bracket style would not motivate folks to play as hard, but rather, to "just make the playoffs".
Another way o looking at what you wrote is this:
If everything goes as its supposed to, 1 will play 4 and 2 will play 3 in the semis.
But if it doesn't and it goes 8,2,3,4 with wins, I think you're over-rewarding 8's one week win with him getting to play 4, whle 2 gets stuck with 3.

It's wrong to work too hard to ensure that the lower seeds get beat though. I don't think your logic holds true about how hard people will try. Do you think they'd rather finish high and ensure a playoff spot or just try to squeak in and play the best team?

Think of it as the #8 team getting rewarded for beating the top team if they win, there's no need to make it as hard as possible for them to win here. The advantage is already given to the top seeds by having them play lower seeds in the first round. When you start going further than that, you are starting to guide the tournament the way you want it to go too much.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby pangbones » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:20 am

6 teams make it in my league, and I re seed. But 1 and 2 have a bye in the first round. It only matters if the 6 seed wins, so it usually isn't a big deal. I do it that way cuz thats how they do it in the NFL.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dare » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:40 am

Pangbones I think helps make a point. He gives byes AND re-seeds.
Maybe I'm missing something, but since I make the 1st two seeds play a first round, I think it's fair to re-seed, like the NFL.

Another point Mattb47(and by the way, thanx for all the exchange, this is really helping flesh out the decision in a responsible manner as commish)....I don't feel this is me ensuring that lower seeds get beat, nor is it me guiding the draft the way I want it. Everybody's gotta win 3 games to take the money. Letting 8 teams in in the first place and even giving them a chance is a pretty reasonable nod. The only thing I'm ensuring is to keep some of the fantasy flukiness out of the equation.(I realize 1st round Byes probably does this better...but that's for next year)
dare
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk