Problems in Minnesota? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Problems in Minnesota?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Problems in Minnesota?

Postby stomperrob » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:39 am

Seems like Childress has his hands full between deciding on who to start at QB and qualming dissension among the players:
Vikings: Which QB? It's a toss-up
The silence of coach Brad Childress on his choice to lead the offense might signal a change.
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: December 04, 2006 – 11:40 PM

Will the Vikings' starting quarterback keep his job because of an injury to the backup? That scenario seemed possible Monday at Winter Park, where coach Brad Childress brushed off questions about Brad Johnson's immediate future and indicated he will not name a starter for Sunday's game at Detroit until later this week.
Childress' refusal to immediately support Johnson, who threw four interceptions in a 23-13 loss Sunday to Chicago, suggested he preferred a change. But Childress' options are limited; backup Brooks Bollinger's left arm was in a sling Monday, courtesy a second-degree sprain of his left shoulder, and rookie Tarvaris Jackson continued to express reservations about stepping into the lineup.

Childress admitted he did not know when Bollinger would return to practice but insisted, "I have a few different options." Childress said he will decide based on who "give[s] us the best chance to win in the fourth quarter."We'll just look at that and see who we feel like that is," Childress added before cutting off reporters' questions on the situation.

Johnson, who has thrown 14 interceptions, was not available for comment Monday. But Childress has benched the 15-year veteran twice for throwing multiple interceptions, and coaches often look to replace starters after a second sitdown. Childress, for one, offered no evidence to the contrary Monday.

"We've got a lot of things that we have to clean up on offense," he said, "primarily number one, taking care of the football."

To that end, Childress seems willing to delay his decision until he can rule out Bollinger from a physical standpoint. According to Childress, Bollinger sprained the acromio-clavicular (AC) joint in his nonthrowing shoulder when Adewale Ogunleye sacked him during the fourth quarter Sunday. A second- degree sprain in essence means Bollinger slightly separated his shoulder.

Doctors administered a pain-killing injection Monday, and Childress said, "He just has to be able to function at a high level."

Players have today off and will resume practice Wednesday. Asked if it was important to name a starter by Wednesday for stability reasons, Childress said: "I think that's less important than guys getting reps where they are at."

In two relief appearances this season, Bollinger has completed 13 of 18 passes for 148 yards and one interception. The Vikings acquired him Aug. 31 from the New York Jets, signing him to a contract extension that will pay him backup-level salaries of $750,000 in 2007 and $950,000 in 2008.

Bollinger referred all questions about his injury and playing status to Childress but said he will prepare -- as always -- to play Sunday against the Lions.

"I've been in a lot of different situations," Bollinger said. "That's really part of this job and part of this position. You just show up on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, every day, preparing to play a football game and getting yourself ready as if you are going to play a game. ... It's just a matter of getting yourself prepared because you never know what kind of situation you're going to get yourself into."

While Bollinger will need an exceptionally quick recovery to be a factor this week, Jackson also has obstacles to overcome. His brief stint against the Bears, completing three of four passes for 35 yards, represented his first work with the Vikings offense since the preseason. A fan favorite, Jackson said he believes Johnson should retain the job.

"I think we're staying with Brad," Jackson said. "We still have a chance to make the playoffs, so we're still trying to do that. So it's obvious that Brad is still our quarterback so we can stay on that [path]."

Jackson reiterated that he has taken almost no practice snaps during the regular season, focusing almost exclusively on scout team work, and said he does not feel "as prepared as I'd like" to take over the job. Asked why he is not pursuing the job more aggressively, Jackson said he prefers a quieter style.

"It's not my decision to make," he said. "It's Coach Childress' decision. If he calls on me, I'll do my best. I'm very confident. I can play. It's just, I'm not going to be bragging and boastful about it."

Kevin Seifert • mailto:kseifert@startribune.com

and:
Vikings' Childress quiets talk of rift on team
Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: December 04, 2006 – 10:33 PM

A day after safety Darren Sharper called for the Vikings to make changes on offense following a 23-13 loss at Chicago, coach Brad Childress attempted to downplay any talk of dissension in the ranks.
"It's a volatile situation after a game," Childress said Monday. "I mean, there are emotions that are on edge, and I understand that. We're not trying to hide anything from anybody. ... The only thing you say is -- and they're clear on this, they understand this -- it's a team game.

"As long as they've played, you win and lose together."

But the Vikings defense has outplayed the offense for much of the season, and there clearly was frustration on the part of the defense Sunday after a loss in which it gave up a season-low 107 yards and held Chicago quarterback Rex Grossman to a 1.3 quarterback rating. "Everybody gets paid to do a job," Sharper said. "If you're not executing your job, changes need to be made."

Fellow safety Dwight Smith attempted to quiet such talk Monday, saying, "There is none," when asked about the frustration level. Smith pointed to the fact the Bears returned one of their four interceptions of Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson for a touchdown.

"We have one credo we try to live by in our room and that's, 'Outplay the other team's defense,' " Smith said. "If the other team's defense is scoring with its turnovers, then we need to score with turnovers. Until we match the other team's defense we can't sit around and point fingers at our offense. It's not like every game this year we've held up our end of the bargain."

Center Matt Birk, who is in his ninth season with the Vikings, has seen plenty of seasons when the roles were reversed. "For a long time, at least on this team, offense carried the day," he said. "It's not about offense, it's about winning games. It's about finding ways to win games no matter how you do it. And we haven't done it."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:22 pm

I forgot where I read it from, but Minny's LB Ben Leber was quoted as saying that it's gotten to the point where the defense feels like the team has no chance of winning if the defense doesn't score.

That's a pretty damning statement of the offense from the defense. But a late season meltdown from Minny isn't exactly new to us, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Joe Gibbs part 2....
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:15 am

Sounding like Johnson will get the start again, but I really want to see Jackson play a whole game to show what he can do. I mean, he gives the QB two dimensions while playing.....a rocket arm and mobility. Doesn't it just make sense to start a weapon like that? Especially against DET, I mean come on Childress! :-°
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:10 am

If I'm not mistaking, Drew Henson joined the team. That adds an interesting twist.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:17 am

dgan wrote:If I'm not mistaking, Drew Henson joined the team. That adds an interesting twist.

He is still on the practice squad.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Dude » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:26 am

I think its kind of weak sauce for Tavaris Jackson to "express reservations" about playing. Even if he has reservations, he should keep them to himself and say, "I'm ready to go in if coach decides that's what's best for the team."

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 am

can you say randy moss and daunte culpepper reunion? ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:32 am

The_Dude wrote:I think its kind of weak sauce for Tavaris Jackson to "express reservations" about playing. Even if he has reservations, he should keep them to himself and say, "I'm ready to go in if coach decides that's what's best for the team."

Seems to me that's basically what he said...

"It's not my decision to make," he said. "It's Coach Childress' decision. If he calls on me, I'll do my best. I'm very confident. I can play. It's just, I'm not going to be bragging and boastful about it."

The way the Minny offense has played, I don't see what they have to lose by giving Jackson a shot.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk