What weird talent do you have? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What weird talent do you have?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 am

I can shotgun a can of beer in 3 seconds or less. Or at least I used too I havent tried in a long time. I'm sure I can still do it pretty fast though, no more than 5 seconds probably. I used to race people for money or free beer or just for fun. I have never lost, never. Its a great icebreaker when you show up to a party and dont know alot of people. For some reason people think drinking beer really, really fast makes you cool. Consequently it also makes you very, very drunk which late in the evening can make you not cool. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:42 am

Metroid wrote:I can shotgun a can of beer in 3 seconds or less. Or at least I used too I havent tried in a long time. I'm sure I can still do it pretty fast though, no more than 5 seconds probably. I used to race people for money or free beer or just for fun. I have never lost, never. Its a great icebreaker when you show up to a party and dont know alot of people. For some reason people think drinking beer really, really fast makes you cool. Consequently it also makes you very, very drunk which late in the evening can make you not cool. :-b

It's amazing how it comes back to you! I hadn't tried it in about 10 years and thought, "what the heck..." and found that it's kinda like.......

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 am

I really don't have any weird talents. I can do a few magic tricks, but then I tell people how I did immediately afterward. I have to stop doing that.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 am

skibrett15 wrote:I'm amazingly good at fantasy football.

If the last three years of fantasy football have taught me anything, it's that the world of fantasy football relies equally as much on luck as skill.

I've had the best team statistically over the past three seasons in my league and I've amassed 14 losses out of 39 games over that period. Teams with much, MUCH worse players have much, much better records than I over that span. Why? Vagaries of the schedule, lucky breaks, quirky injuries, etc. You name it, it's happened to me.

All I can say is, no matter what you do to put yourself in a position to win, it doesn't mean a thing.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:29 am

knapplc wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:I'm amazingly good at fantasy football.

If the last three years of fantasy football have taught me anything, it's that the world of fantasy football relies equally as much on luck as skill.

I've had the best team statistically over the past three seasons in my league and I've amassed 14 losses out of 39 games over that period. Teams with much, MUCH worse players have much, much better records than I over that span. Why? Vagaries of the schedule, lucky breaks, quirky injuries, etc. You name it, it's happened to me.

All I can say is, no matter what you do to put yourself in a position to win, it doesn't mean a thing.

I almost responded to that comment as well. There's a very low skill ceiling in fantasy football. The closer the members in the league are to that ceiling, the more luck is involved. If you were to play in a cafe league comprised of nothing but members where everyone spends the same amount of time studying and researching as you do, it's almost completely luck. Of course, some people absolutely refuse to see the truth in that, so I usually don't bother even trying.

It is kind of amusing to hear the same person credit skill as the reason for their success and bad luck as their reason for failure. :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:52 am

josebach wrote:I almost responded to that comment as well. There's a very low skill ceiling in fantasy football. The closer the members in the league are to that ceiling, the more luck is involved. If you were to play in a cafe league comprised of nothing but members where everyone spends the same amount of time studying and researching as you do, it's almost completely luck. Of course, some people absolutely refuse to see the truth in that, so I usually don't bother even trying.

It is kind of amusing to hear the same person credit skill as the reason for their success and bad luck as their reason for failure. :-b

I see the humor in that too. There is skill involved in fantasy sports – in the league I’m referring to, probably ten of the twelve owners really know what they’re doing. They know how to find talent, how to draft well, how to play the waiver wire, etc. Despite, that, I’ve amassed a team that has a starting roster where every player is in the top ten at their position. That’s the skill I’m talking about. I give myself a little mental pat on the back for building this team – but that’s where my control ends. Then luck takes over.

And I have no luck. Despite this roster of all-stars, I’ve lost five games out of 13 weeks each of the last two seasons. I had the lead in my division both seasons, only to see it get frittered away in losses to teams who aren’t even close to my team’s talent levels on weird flukes over and over.

I think luck trumps skill in that equation – far too often for my comfort, too. :,-(
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:52 am

yeah once the players take the field you're at the mercy of their performance. Skill in FF is in drafting and not sleeping early on for possible colstons, robbie gould and now romo
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:19 am

Redskins Win wrote:yeah once the players take the field you're at the mercy of their performance. Skill in FF is in drafting and not sleeping early on for possible colstons, robbie gould and now romo

I have both of them. :-b

I just missed out on Colston, too. I put my claim in but someone on a losing team got him first. :-[
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:i completely suck at Halo on XBox, but im really good on the PC.

other than that, i dont have any. i have always lacked cool and useless talents

edit: also, i basically have the monopoly board memorized. you give me a space and a roll, and ill tell you where youve landed and what you have to do depending on the situation

I can actually vouch for that

not only that but I can tell you how much you owe in rent for any spot on the board with any number of houses/hotel.

I can also hang a spoon off my nose and chin.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The_Captain » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm not sure this would be considered "weird", but I'm pretty good at Cryptograms....

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk