Chess players on steroids??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Chess players on steroids???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Maybe the bigger problem is guys dropping mickeys and other drugs into each other's drinks, trying to get an edge on them. You know, like how all these athletes in the major sports keep saying that someone else did it to them unknowingly.
:-B

I don't know about chess as a Olympic sport though. It's not exactly fun filled TV to most of the TV demographic nowadays. And the matches can take forever sometimes, especially if you've got the top world competitors going at it. And I always assumed that Olympic sports needed some kind of physical attribute to it.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 pm

there's got to be some benefit for someone to take some sort of upper to improve concentration. Like a perkaset or something.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:25 pm

steroids definitely help chess players.

give me a couple minutes, ill think of something.

:-?

Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:40 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Maybe the bigger problem is guys dropping mickeys and other drugs into each other's drinks, trying to get an edge on them. You know, like how all these athletes in the major sports keep saying that someone else did it to them unknowingly.
:-B

I don't know about chess as a Olympic sport though. It's not exactly fun filled TV to most of the TV demographic nowadays. And the matches can take forever sometimes, especially if you've got the top world competitors going at it. And I always assumed that Olympic sports needed some kind of physical attribute to it.

Damn right! Get poker off ESPN while you're at it. Sheesh. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:06 am

Look at this :-b

Anabolic Steroids Invade the World of Professional Chess
Thirteen Year Old Chess Prodigy is Disqualified for Banned Substances
By Allen Smith
August 10, 2006

Canton, Ohio - The professional chess world was rocked today when 13 year old chess prodigy, Bobby Baines was disqualified for testing positive for steroids.

Clayton Groman, Director of the United States Chess Federation announced during a press conference from his offices in Crossville, Tennessee that Baines was one of 17 professional chess players ranging in ages from 8 to 97 years old, that are under suspicion for blood doping and taking drugs on the USCF list of banned substances.

"We've had Mr. Baines in our crosshairs for quite some time," said Groman. "We first became suspicious when we noticed that he was becoming much more violent during matches and began exhibiting impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility." During one recent chess match, Baines became upset over his opponent's delay in play and leaped over the table hoisting him up into an Airplane Spin.

"He's just a boy," pleaded Bobby's mother and manager, Agatha Baines. "Like all boys his age, he's bound to make mistakes." When asked if she noticed any other recent changes in Bobby, Agatha confessed that she had noticed some small, yet noticeable physical changes in her son over the past six months. "For one thing, he started to grow more hair; a lot of hair." she said. "I'm well aware that boys entering puberty are likely to experience changes in their bodies, but I saw Bobby in the shower one afternoon and his back was just covered with hair. He'd looked just like my brother, Leo and he's 67 years old. But what really alarmed me was when I saw Bobby trimming the hair in his ears. He's only 13 for God's sake…" She also confessed to witnessing some rather rapid weight gain in Bobby. "He gained over 35 pounds of muscle in one week," she said. "We had to stop buying his clothes at Oshkosh B'Gosh and start shopping at Eagleson's Big and Tall Shop for Men."

During one recent chess match, Baines became upset over his opponent's delay in play and leaped over the table hoisting him up into an Airplane Spin.

Priceless :-b
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:55 am

that article lost credibility pretty quick....

and yes, I do believe BH takes steroids too.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby maddog60 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 am

josebach wrote:I may be in the minority, but I think Chess as an Olympic sport would be awesome. I think that would be a really coveted gold medal.

As someone who has played chess at a tournament level, and even lettered in it in high school, I'm appalled at the very idea of chess in the Olympics. The Olympics is a sporting event. Chess is not a sport. Its a game, and one of the best ever created, but has no place amongst those athletic competitions.

If you let in chess, why not checkers, poker, rummy, candyland, scrabble, you see where this is going, no?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 am

maddog60 wrote:
josebach wrote:I may be in the minority, but I think Chess as an Olympic sport would be awesome. I think that would be a really coveted gold medal.

As someone who has played chess at a tournament level, and even lettered in it in high school, I'm appalled at the very idea of chess in the Olympics. The Olympics is a sporting event. Chess is not a sport. Its a game, and one of the best ever created, but has no place amongst those athletic competitions.

If you let in chess, why not checkers, poker, rummy, candyland, scrabble, you see where this is going, no?

For starters, Chess is one of the most difficult and challenging games on the planet. It is the ultimate "playing field" for the mind. I think giving it the kind of exposure it would receive in the Olympics would only encourage more people to play and make the world a better, smarter place.

I notice you lettered in Chess. Interesting:

A varsity letter (or monogram) is an award earned in the United States by regular participation or excellence in a school sport. Traditionally, a varsity letter signifies that its winner was a stand-out varsity athlete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varsity_letter
Last edited by josebach on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 am

Ritalin... aka... speed

I could see players taking that to get ahead.

Roids? :-? I don't get it.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am

bobbing_headz wrote:
Agatha confessed that she had noticed some small, yet noticeable physical changes in her son over the past six months. "For one thing, he started to grow more hair; a lot of hair." she said. "I'm well aware that boys entering puberty are likely to experience changes in their bodies, but I saw Bobby in the shower one afternoon and his back was just covered with hair. He'd looked just like my brother, Leo and he's 67 years old.

what's up with that 8-o
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk