Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 pm

I don't buy this one. Asthma steroids are in a class called glucocorticoids, while anabolic steroids are synthetic versions of androgens (male sex hormones). I would think the testing could sort out which chemical class he's using. I doubt Advair would cause enough of a crossover to show up positive for anabolic steroids. Sounds like Thomas is just looking for an excuse.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Good stuff, they need to be strict on their rules.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 pm

lol

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:22 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:The NFL needs to use some common sense.
Bingo! Yahtzee! We have a Winner! that's a bunch of BS pardon my french, but come on this could mean life and death for a guy. :-t
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mugrila » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:26 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
Bingo! Yahtzee! We have a Winner! that's a bunch of BS pardon my french, but come on this could mean life and death for a guy. :-t

Well, you have to think, should he really be playing a professional sport if he's not physically able without the aid of banned substances?
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Mugrila wrote:

Well, you have to think, should he really be playing a professional sport if he's not physically able without the aid of banned substances?
you make a good point, but the guy is a great talent and obviously thinks that with his meds he is perfectly able to play.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Mugrila wrote:

you make a good point, but the guy is a great talent and obviously thinks that with his meds he is perfectly able to play.

having a very common and simple malady like asthma should not prevent people from playing a professional sport, especially if they otherwise good at it. this issue will get resolved somehow.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:22 pm

This is an odd one to say the least. On one hand, I would wonder why Thomas would take any steroid considering the Saints have mandated that he stay below 335 which is where he is now roughly, assuming he did take a steroid.

On the other hand, Thomas is in his 11th season and has always had asthma. I seriously wonder why all of the sudden his treatment (unless he recently changed but Advair has been around for some time) caused a "false" positive. Not to be negative, but I would think after 11 years he's been tested enough times that his medicine would have already caused a "false" positive if it ever were going to.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby serbdogg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Glucocorticosteroids are widely used in medicine. They possess therapeutic potential in several chronic inflammatory and other diseases. They are also widely used in sports medicine for the treatment of conditions such as asthma and acute injuries. People in NFL need to establish some sort of requests for therapeutic use exemption for glucocorticosteroids. This is absurd.
serbdogg
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:00 pm

OK I just heard an interview with Thomas and it's not clear what he tested positive for. According to Thomas he tested positive for Clenbuterol which is NOT a steroid, it's a beta-agonist in the same family as Albuterol. Anyone with asthma knows Albuterol, it's very common. Thomas was taking at least two beta-agonists, Serevent and Albuterol.

The thing is Clenbuterol is not found in any US medication approved for humans and its main use appears to be veterinary and.......in body-builders as a performance enhancer and to give a more ripped appearance. So Thomas is claiming basically the test screwed up and mistakenly identified one of his other beta-agonists as Clenbuterol.

Is this possible? I don't know but it seems like something that could happen, so maybe I was too hard on Thomas and he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe he really did take Clenbuterol and is lying, we'll probably never know.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk