Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas' asthma medicine causes drug policy violation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:40 am

Reminds me of that kid back on the high school football team that said he had asthma. The guy ran as hard as he could for 2 or 3 wind sprints and then sat out the remaining 15 huffing on his inhaler. We all knew he was a pothead and lazy though. But he sure looked good for those two or three sprints though....

Asthma, yeah right.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:07 am

Kensat30 wrote:Reminds me of that kid back on the high school football team that said he had asthma. The guy ran as hard as he could for 2 or 3 wind sprints and then sat out the remaining 15 huffing on his inhaler. We all knew he was a pothead and lazy though. But he sure looked good for those two or three sprints though....

Asthma, yeah right.

It's not always the best thing to just assume people are lying....there are athletes with asthma in the world....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:36 am

Sort of on a related note. Truck drivers with CDL licences are not allowed to take certain prescriptions. It is the responsibility of the driver himself not anyone else if the driver fails one of the random tests that are quite often given to truck drivers. I'm pretty sure this guy had alternatives he could have taken. He probably didn't make an effort to see if that particular prescription would cause a failed test.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby My Cat Is A Moron » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:18 pm

Don't mean to revive old posts, but I found this article in the NY Times that's pretty interesting. This appears to be the NFL's take on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sport ... ref=sports

Doing some quick research, it appears that the drug operates similar to ephedrine, but the drug lingers in the body longer. As the article mentions, it is illegal for human consumption and is usually used to treat asthma-like conditions in horses. In some of the stuff I read online it appears that this particular drug might have been banned recently - apparently the FDA does not have this ingredient on any approved therapudic drugs since 2006.
My Cat Is A Moron
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk