Is this tactic legit? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this tactic legit?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Munboy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:25 pm

It's ok to not field a whole lineup if you think that will help you (in you case, a QB you think will tank). It's not ok to not field a whole lineup if you're purposely trying to lose a game.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Peacesells » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:10 pm

Most leagues have a rule requiring you to fill a full lineup or take a Zero for total points for your whole team. On CBSsportline it would be called an illegal lineup.

I personally feel it is wrong not to start a QB if you have one that is playing. There would never be a situation in the NFL where a QB does not start a game and I believe that should also be the same in FFL.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm

Peacesells wrote:Most leagues have a rule requiring you to fill a full lineup or take a Zero for total points for your whole team. On CBSsportline it would be called an illegal lineup.

I personally feel it is wrong not to start a QB if you have one that is playing. There would never be a situation in the NFL where a QB does not start a game and I believe that should also be the same in FFL.

Peace

there's a biiiig difference.

in the NFL, not starting a quarterback means that every snap will be a fumble recovered by the defense. :-D

in fantasy football, if a bad quarterback is against a good defense in crappy weather conditions and he's the only option youve got, there's no reason why you cant bench him in fear of getting a negative score. taking a zero is bad, but taking a negative is worse.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby pangbones » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:37 am

Thursday wrote:I agree with all others. Think about Grossman vs. Arizona so many Mondays ago, where, in one league, he racked up -13 points! I'm sure that owner would love to have benched his QB for that game. Funny thing is, he already had his game wrapped up, and kept Grossman in for extra points, and ended up losing because of him! So yeah, it's a perfectly acceptable strategy.

Exactly. This guy my friend knows was bragging before that game that he was up 7 points and had Grossman left to play. He lost his game!!

I'm in an 18 team league where rosters go 22 deep, so the pickings are slim on the wire. I had A Brooks and C Simms as my QB's. Week 4 Tampa was off, so I couldn't play Gradkowski, and I had to pick up Walters. I ended up not playing him so I wouldn't lose any points, (he ended up with 0, but he has -11 for the season!!). Nothing wrong with doing that.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 am

pangbones wrote:
Thursday wrote:I agree with all others. Think about Grossman vs. Arizona so many Mondays ago, where, in one league, he racked up -13 points! I'm sure that owner would love to have benched his QB for that game. Funny thing is, he already had his game wrapped up, and kept Grossman in for extra points, and ended up losing because of him! So yeah, it's a perfectly acceptable strategy.

Exactly. This guy my friend knows was bragging before that game that he was up 7 points and had Grossman left to play. He lost his game!!

I'm in an 18 team league where rosters go 22 deep, so the pickings are slim on the wire. I had A Brooks and C Simms as my QB's. Week 4 Tampa was off, so I couldn't play Gradkowski, and I had to pick up Walters. I ended up not playing him so I wouldn't lose any points, (he ended up with 0, but he has -11 for the season!!). Nothing wrong with doing that.

18 x 22 = :-? 396

I hope that includes IDP. I don't even think there are 396 skill positions on all NFL rosters combined....

As to the topic. If your league requires a starter and there is no one available that you think will score positive points, start a backup or someone injured who won't play - like Culpepper. May cost you a drop/add, but that's the price you have to pay sometimes.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:08 am

Boy, am I a minority on this one! Being a commish of a money league I would require a team to fill all positions with players. Not filling a position or starting say Seneca Wallace because you think Hasslebeck isn't going to fair well this week, is a poor lineup. If I caught this I would consider making his lineup illegal that week.

Not looking to start an argument, but just amazed how one sided this is. :-o
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby waterproof » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:20 am

I do this in my daily baseball league every season. If you have the pitching stats locked up, bench your pitchers on the last day to protect whip and era...

I'd also do this during fantasy football playoffs with players on Monday nights... If you're winning the game (and it's over), even if you have a stud going, I'd bench him just in case they fumble twice then get injured and leave the game... hey, you never know...

I'd def. do this with a Monday night defense when the game is yours...
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye

Postby dgan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 am

SeaWolf wrote:Boy, am I a minority on this one! Being a commish of a money league I would require a team to fill all positions with players. Not filling a position or starting say Seneca Wallace because you think Hasslebeck isn't going to fair well this week, is a poor lineup. If I caught this I would consider making his lineup illegal that week.

So you would force someone to start Cutler or Gradkowski this week, even though there is an excellent chance (depending on the scoring format, of course) that they could score negative points?

Or, as I saw in another thread, you would force someone to drop a good WR to pickup some crap TE just so he has a starter at that position?

At some point, you have to realize it is your league but it is THEIR team that they paid money for. They paid their right to run their own team - if they are not intentionally harming the integrity of your league, I think you're too heavy-handed a Commish for me.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 am

dgan wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:Boy, am I a minority on this one! Being a commish of a money league I would require a team to fill all positions with players. Not filling a position or starting say Seneca Wallace because you think Hasslebeck isn't going to fair well this week, is a poor lineup. If I caught this I would consider making his lineup illegal that week.

So you would force someone to start Cutler or Gradkowski this week, even though there is an excellent chance (depending on the scoring format, of course) that they could score negative points?

Or, as I saw in another thread, you would force someone to drop a good WR to pickup some crap TE just so he has a starter at that position?

At some point, you have to realize it is your league but it is THEIR team that they paid money for. They paid their right to run their own team - if they are not intentionally harming the integrity of your league, I think you're too heavy-handed a Commish for me.

Our rules require one to start a certain number of players, 1 QB, ect. So to not start any player for say TE would not be allowed anyway. But as I said to start a player that is either out, or more than likely won't play is decitfull. If there is nothing concrete in the rules about NOT doing somthing and someone does it and I think it's Collusion or whatever I would not just overrule. I alway bring it to the attention of the league members and get thier opinion.
After seeing this I am goin to see if we can get rules to prohibit this during this offseason. If it happens that I am overruled then so be it, I would still think this practice is unfair.
Also i may have beliefs different than you, but I have been told that I have run the most fair and balanced league they have played in.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:46 am

Seawolf, how is it collusion if you are taking a 0 to benefit your team (not to help the other guy)?

I see how starting a guy who's out could be "deceitful". But personally, I think that at some point you have to judge intent.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk