Officer Down - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Officer Down

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 am

deacon wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
deacon wrote:
mrblitz wrote:I totally understand where you are coming from. I am in the process of trying to become a towship police officer for the area that I just moved too. How is it that sports players, can make tons more money than, Police Officers, Fire Fighters, School Teachers, etc?

Because no one spends tons of money to watch them work.

Ever seen the show 'Cops' or watched a movie or TV show with a cop in it? :-D

Yes, and the revenues from the show 'Cops' does not go to the cops that are depicted. And the people on TV shows and in movies are called actors. They are the one's that get paid not the cops.

And you can't even begin to believe those things can come close to comparing to the revenue that the NFL pulls in can you?

I didn't know we were discussing who got the revenue. We were discussing whether people looked up to them and you compared them to pro athletes. Becoming an officer of the law is much more honorable than becoming a pro athlete. An enforcement officer is completely selfless. As evidenced by the pay they receive.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm

One of my good buddies that I've been chillin' with since First grade his dad works homocide over in Murderapolis. He's on call a lot and I know that's had to leave the house on B-Days, Christmas, and other Holidays. I respect the hellout of him and I love him to death and if he went down I don't know what I would do. Now, I still stand by my other comment because it's true, you can't be Mr. Love Everything when you're on the job. Granted I didn't get to explain myself since all yall jumped down my throat....

R.I.P. to our fallen heroes.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:36 am

Tiki wrote:Now, I still stand by my other comment because it's true, you can't be Mr. Love Everything when you're on the job. Granted I didn't get to explain myself since all yall jumped down my throat....

Having been to numerous college parties and having been pulled over numerous times, I've certainly met some police officers who were jerks. I've I also met some that were really nice. The point is if you think ALL cops are D-Bags, then it's probably time to start looking in the mirror. Think of what police officers do for a living. Think of who they protect. Think of what society would be like if we didn't have them. And you think THEY'RE the bad guys?If they're the bad guys, does that make you a good guy? If so, what exactly do you do that makes you a good guy?

Obviously, these are rhetorical questions so feel free not to answer them. Oh, and saying that cops can't be "Mr Love" is a far cry from calling them D-Bags. If you would have made the "Mr Love" comment instead of the D-Bag one, do you really think people would have said anything?

Peace out.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:35 am

Tiki wrote:Granted I didn't get to explain myself since all yall jumped down my throat....

You had every chance to explain yourself, and I think those of us in that conversation received exactly the impression you wanted us to receive from that conversation.

And you deserved to have us jump down your throat. Continuing this conversation will precipitate more jumping down your throat. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 am

Meh.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:49 pm

josebach wrote:
Tiki wrote:Now, I still stand by my other comment because it's true, you can't be Mr. Love Everything when you're on the job. Granted I didn't get to explain myself since all yall jumped down my throat....

Having been to numerous college parties and having been pulled over numerous times, I've certainly met some police officers who were jerks. I've I also met some that were really nice. The point is if you think ALL cops are D-Bags, then it's probably time to start looking in the mirror. Think of what police officers do for a living. Think of who they protect. Think of what society would be like if we didn't have them. And you think THEY'RE the bad guys?If they're the bad guys, does that make you a good guy? If so, what exactly do you do that makes you a good guy?

Obviously, these are rhetorical questions so feel free not to answer them. Oh, and saying that cops can't be "Mr Love" is a far cry from calling them D-Bags. If you would have made the "Mr Love" comment instead of the D-Bag one, do you really think people would have said anything?

Peace out.

Excellent points! It's ridiculous to make sweeping generalizations about any profession based on limited exposure or experience with members of said profession. To tar an entire profession because of a few bad apples or a few bad experiences is nonsensical. I think someone has a lot of growing up to do and stop thinking of rap stars as wordly philosophers and stop thinking that movies and TV portray anything even close to the real world. And it's always been my experience that the way police officers treat people is in direct correlation to the way people treat them (although there are exceptions unfortunately in the case of the bad apples - but there are also exceptions where officers are treated like crap but do not respond in kind). To understand where a police officer's mindset is, you need to try and walk a mile is his shoes - it is often said that a police officer sees more in his career than any human being was ever meant to see. If people want a real eye opener, they should try going on an ride-along with a big city police force some night - guarantee you it will be a real eye opener and you will come away with a different viewpoint of police officers and their job. People need to open their eyes and their minds and take off their blinders - unwarranted prejudice is intolerable in my viewpoint. People who who use the weak example of a few bad apples are simply providing anecdotal evidence that is not statistically significant and hence their case falls apart. But then I guess if you want to hate, you don't need facts to back it up!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:55 pm

stomperrob wrote:
josebach wrote:

Peace out.

Excellent points! It's ridiculous to make sweeping generalizations about any profession based on limited exposure or experience with members of said profession. To tar an entire profession because of a few bad apples or a few bad experiences is nonsensical. I think someone has a lot of growing up to do and stop thinking of rap stars as wordly philosophers and stop thinking that movies and TV portray anything even close to the real world. And it's always been my experience that the way police officers treat people is in direct correlation to the way people treat them (although there are exceptions unfortunately in the case of the bad apples - but there are also exceptions where officers are treated like crap but do not respond in kind). To understand where a police officer's mindset is, you need to try and walk a mile is his shoes - it is often said that a police officer sees more in his career than any human being was ever meant to see. If people want a real eye opener, they should try going on an ride-along with a big city police force some night - guarantee you it will be a real eye opener and you will come away with a different viewpoint of police officers and their job. People need to open their eyes and their minds and take off their blinders - unwarranted prejudice is intolerable in my viewpoint. People who who use the weak example of a few bad apples are simply providing anecdotal evidence that is not statistically significant and hence their case falls apart. But then I guess if you want to hate, you don't need facts to back it up!

Awesome post man. I was going to respond to the "cops are D-bags" comment myself but being that my dad and uncle were and is in law enforcement, I felt that anything I wrote would surely get me carded.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:02 pm

Metroid wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
josebach wrote:

Peace out.

Awesome post man. I was going to respond to the "cops are D-bags" comment myself but being that my dad and uncle were and is in law enforcement, I felt that anything I wrote would surely get me carded.

You're right!!!
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Metroid wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
josebach wrote:

Peace out.

I probably would have gotten carded in a response to that as well if a couple posts hadn't already been made- i agree with what the last copule guys have said- I really think cops and doctors are the 2 most underpaid professions.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Metroid wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
josebach wrote:

Peace out.

Thanx - to me it's no more acceptable to be intolerant of an entire profession like police officers than it is to practice religeous or racial intolerance. Quite simply it's small minded and ignorant and has no place in free and open society like ours. Hatred is not a useful or productive emotion on which to build relations in a society such as ours.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk