Unethical? Need all veterans to rule on this. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Unethical? Need all veterans to rule on this.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:10 pm

knapplc wrote:That's dancing awfully close to collusion. Hasselbeck has been hurt/out, so the guy can make the argument that he's taking a risk that Hass will be fine when he comes back, but that risk is pretty minimal.

I think, much as I hate the veto, this is one I would consider. But, if you want my honest opinion, this event in a vacuum doesn't warrant a veto. It's a lopsided trade, but unless these two guys have a history of questionable practices I think it's not enough to veto the trade.

You're going to lose a league member over this. If this guy has been a decent owner over the years I'd say it's not worth losing him for this one deal. If he's been a pain in the backside for a while and has made other questionable deals, maybe he should just go, but if that's not the case I think vetoing a questionable trade is a bit much.

Agree 100%.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 pm

I would ask him how he expects to quit when he has already been kicked out.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby dgan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:23 pm

You say the rookie is out of the playoffs. Was he out at the time of the attempted trade? If his QB is hurt and he needs to win games NOW to have any chance of making the playoffs, I would expect him to trade his injured QB for someone who is starting. Obviously, Brunell is not a good trade, but that's what rookies do.

Did anyone else in the league notice he needed a QB and offer him something better? If not, and if he was still mathematically able to make the playoffs, I think the trade was legit. In fact, preventing him from making the trade perhaps prevented him from making the playoffs.

Of course, all this is speculation since we don't know the rosters or records. But there are cases where this trade would be acceptable. Not everyone who needed wins now could wait two weeks for Hasselbeck to play again.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby pangbones » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:24 am

1. Brunell wasn't the starter if it was 3 weeks ago as he stated.

2. If the team had no chance to make the playoffs, then he shouldn't be making trades.

3. Even if Brunell was the starter, that trade was horrible, and I would have not had a problem vetoing it.

4. Why do leagues put veto systems in place and then cry about it when a trade gets vetoed? Don't have a system if you don't want people to use it at their discretion.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:45 am

pangbones wrote:
4. Why do leagues put veto systems in place and then cry about it when a trade gets vetoed? Don't have a system if you don't want people to use it at their discretion.

I agree, that's why league veto systems stink. I'd rather have an commish in charge of veto power... too many teams protect their own interests.

Now if this were a faceless yahoo public league, then I could see the benefit of limiting the power of the commish.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carnac » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Some good questions raised. I want to thank everyone that has responded. To answer some questions.

1. This manager has a history of trying to trade (unfairly) with rookies.

2. At the time of the trade the rookie had Pennington as his backup and Carr, McNair, Johnson and Leinart were on the WW. Hass was 2 weeks away from his return and Brunell was on the brink of losing his job (written in Yahoo and many other sights). And yes, the rookie probably didn't read much. He was mathematically eliminated at the time the potential trade was offered. He was 1-9 at the time and no chance to make the playoffs. 10 team league and top 4 teams make it.

3. This is a league of friends and we have been together for a few years.

4. He has said he won't play next year and no one in the league has tried to change his mind.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Football Talk