Return to General Talk

Water Flowing On Mars

Moderator: Football Moderators

Water Flowing On Mars

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:39 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Liquid water is flowing on Mars right now: NASA
Updated Wed. Dec. 6 2006 1:22 PM ET

Peter McMahon , DiscoveryChannel.ca

NASA scientists announced Wednesday afternoon stunning revelations from Mars Global Surveyor: Cumulative evidence of liquid water flowing on Mars - not millions of years ago but right now.

MGS mission scientists showed changes in a gully in a crater that all but proves liquid flowed through the gully between 1999 and 2004.

"You've all heard of a smoking gun...This a squirting gun," said Mars Exploration Program scientist Michael Meyer.

The scientists say the water seen in the MGS images is the equivalent of 5-10 swimming pools.

The scientists also claim to have found evidence of crater formation from a recent meteor impact.

NASA recently lost contact with Mars Global Surveyor, but not before it was able to relay images of the water and crater formation over a short number of years.

Scientists say there are possibly so many meteors hitting Mars that if you lived there during a multi-year mission, you would likely be close enough to one of the impacts to hear it.

NASA says it will use this information for long-term plans for a manned mission to Mars later this century.

More details to come...

Link
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Errr.... sort of. Water has flowed on Mars in the recent past - as recently as within the last few years. They've found evidence of water flow on the side of an impact crater. Not much water, either - just enough to displace a few tons of soil (which doesn't take much).

This is kind of a misleading story. Discovery is a bit of an alarmist source for news, IMO. They tend to over-report things like this.

Mars is still a desert, aside from the tiny polar ice caps. We have no new information that suggests there are rivers or streams flowing anywhere on Mars with anything resembling regularity. The way the surface looks, I find it extremely doubtful that we will find evidence of flowing water, probably ever.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:58 pm

knapplc wrote:Errr.... sort of. Water has flowed on Mars in the recent past - as recently as within the last few years. They've found evidence of water flow on the side of an impact crater. Not much water, either - just enough to displace a few tons of soil (which doesn't take much).

This is kind of a misleading story. Discovery is a bit of an alarmist source for news, IMO. They tend to over-report things like this.

Mars is still a desert, aside from the tiny polar ice caps. We have no new information that suggests there are rivers or streams flowing anywhere on Mars with anything resembling regularity. The way the surface looks, I find it extremely doubtful that we will find evidence of flowing water, probably ever.

I actually saw this on the news during lunch and found this link related to it. On the news broadcast they were studying before and after pictures. Very recent pictures. I'll see if I can dig up anything a little more credible later.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:10 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:Errr.... sort of. Water has flowed on Mars in the recent past - as recently as within the last few years. They've found evidence of water flow on the side of an impact crater. Not much water, either - just enough to displace a few tons of soil (which doesn't take much).

I actually saw this on the news during lunch and found this link related to it. On the news broadcast they were studying before and after pictures. Very recent pictures. I'll see if I can dig up anything a little more credible later.

I'm not saying there's not a report of water - I read the report and there's no reason to believe it's not true. All I'm saying is that it's such a small amount of water as to be pretty insignificant when considered on a planet-wide scale.

The big deal they're trying to make here is that IF there is flowing water on Mars and IF it's not too terribly frigidly cold there, it's possible there's life on Mars. I'm not denying it's possible for there to be microbial life on Mars. All I'm saying is that THIS discovery of evidence of water is not a large-enough source of water to be remotely significant to the development of life.

That's all I'm trying to point out here. The basics of the story are true - there was, very recently, enough water flowing on the surface to displace several tons of sediment on the wall of an impact crater. That's not disputed (that I know of). The conclusiont that some might jump to based on this is that it's a sign of the possibility of life. I dispute that, at least based on this evidence.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:36 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I'm not saying there's not a report of water - I read the report and there's no reason to believe it's not true. All I'm saying is that it's such a small amount of water as to be pretty insignificant when considered on a planet-wide scale.

The big deal they're trying to make here is that IF there is flowing water on Mars and IF it's not too terribly frigidly cold there, it's possible there's life on Mars. I'm not denying it's possible for there to be microbial life on Mars. All I'm saying is that THIS discovery of evidence of water is not a large-enough source of water to be remotely significant to the development of life.

That's all I'm trying to point out here. The basics of the story are true - there was, very recently, enough water flowing on the surface to displace several tons of sediment on the wall of an impact crater. That's not disputed (that I know of). The conclusiont that some might jump to based on this is that it's a sign of the possibility of life. I dispute that, at least based on this evidence.

Yeah, I don't think there's enough to support any significant amount of life either. Point is, about this particular recent 'news' is that they caught it in before and after photos. Basically proof that it is flowing, not just proof, or evidence, that water once was on Mars.

Are only Nebraskans interested in this? :-b
Last edited by Omaha Red Sox on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Im not interested in it.... ;-)
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, Mars IS the Red Planet. :-]
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mrblitz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm very interested in anything, and everything to do with Outer Space. I think if this is true, it may be a step in proving there is life somewhere out there.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby roninmedia » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Nebraskans and outer space...
Might it have something to do with crop circles in your corn fields?

Very interesting. Sounds like Bush has more incentive to try to push to land someone on Mars.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:58 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

Life is so difficult to understand that we only think of it in terms of our lives, and the living things on our planet. That's yet again just another sign of human arrogance. Or is it ignorance? We can't even figure out what makes our lives possible, yet we easily dismiss the thought of life, albeit of a completely foreign breed, strain, class or whatever you might call it as if we just heard Santa Claus was real. I believe that where there is water, there is the possibility of life as we know it, but that does not change the fact that there may be alien life that thrives in environments that we could never comprehend.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to General Talk