Who makes the playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who makes the playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who makes the playoffs?

Postby lubee3619 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:06 pm

We have a league where the last spot in the playoffs is up for grabs. 3 teams are competing, 2 are 5-8, 1 is 4-7-2. Our first tie breaker is overall win %. Is 5-8 a better win % than 4-7-2? Ten it's head to head. 4-7-2 beat both 5-8 teams, so if it gets to that they are in. I think next year I need to fix this mess before it starts. Any ideas?

Thanks!
lubee3619
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BeefSandwiches » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:12 pm

I don't know exactly how to calculate winning percentage with ties, but I would assume it is the same as always - your number of wins divided by total number of games played. 5 games won out of 13 is more than 4 games won out of 13.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby grover99 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:40 pm

All three teams have the same winning %. A tie is counted as half a win and half a loss. So if your next tiebreaker is h2h, they 4-7-2 team should be in.
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Yup, they all have the same winning percentage and so it goes to your next tiebreaker.

Winning percentage:

(Number of Wins + (Number of Ties / 2)) / (Wins + Losses + Ties)

So for the team that was 4-7-2, this is what it would look like:

(4 + (2 / 2)) / (4 + 7 + 2) = 5/13

And you would end up with the same for the 5-8 teams.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:07 pm

grover99 wrote:All three teams have the same winning %. A tie is counted as half a win and half a loss. So if your next tiebreaker is h2h, they 4-7-2 team should be in.

All three teams DO NOT have the same winning percentage. 5-8 is higher than 4-7-2.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:10 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
grover99 wrote:All three teams have the same winning %. A tie is counted as half a win and half a loss. So if your next tiebreaker is h2h, they 4-7-2 team should be in.

All three teams DO NOT have the same winning percentage. 5-8 is higher than 4-7-2.

Actually they do.....a tie is indeed considered half a win and half a loss, therefore giving that team 5 "wins" along with the other 2 teams.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:12 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:

Actually they do.....a tie is indeed considered half a win and half a loss, therefore giving that team 5 "wins" along with the other 2 teams.

Sorry Matt, you're wrong here. Winning percentage is calculated with wins against losses. Ties don't count at all when calculating winning percentage.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Matthias » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:26 pm

Pete123444 wrote:Sorry Matt, you're wrong here. Winning percentage is calculated with wins against losses. Ties don't count at all when calculating winning percentage.

Under the NFL system, mattb is right. http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

I wouldn't count ties into it at all, though, and agree with you.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Yeah there is a guy who is 7-4-2 and right in the thick of the playoff race, actually he is already clinched. He is tied with the 8-5 teams, and the formula makes sense, but at first I didn't understand how I was tied with him earlier in the year when I had more wins than he did. I guess winning percentage isn't too literal, otherwise teams with more wins in the same amount of games would rank higher, since ties are niether a win or loss.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:

Sorry Matt, you're wrong here. Winning percentage is calculated with wins against losses. Ties don't count at all when calculating winning percentage.

Where are you getting your information for this from? Like Matthias pointed out, it's how the NFL does things, it's how it's taught on this "How to play Fantasy Football page":

http://www.fantasyindex.com/How2Play.html

This is also stated as the offical method of the NCAA in determining winning percentage here:

http://football.stassen.com/records/notes/faq.html

Just wondering where this information is coming from that I'm wrong.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk